2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum My poor baby took a hit :(

07-11-2016, 04:34 AM   #1
DanChapman90
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 M Sport

My poor baby took a hit :(

Long story short, a (what is believed to be) drum brake housing/casing from an arctic truck was in the middle of the road. Presumably fallen from the back of a scrap van as no truck was stopped nearby missing a wheel or anything. I only saw it last minute and it went under my BMW, the item was tall enough to lift my car up as I drove over it so I stopped further down the road, all looked well, no plastic hanging off or anything but I called BMW assist anyway. Then a chap in a brand new '16 plate Audi A6 pulls up behind me, he had also hit it, although I could visibly see the underside of his car was ruined.

So far, my damage is a bent front subframe which has then pushed up and bent the steering rack plus associated parts, the bill is around £5500 plus £1300 for a new sprayed front bumper which it has dented at the bottom. The chaps A6 is £15000 as it's taken his S-Tronic gearbox out as well plus other items. The area is covered by CCTV as Highways England are currently working on a massive junction improvement but so far they say there's nothing evidential on the footage. Mine and the Audi guys insurance companies will be working to get hold of the footage.

Strangely enough, there was a guy in a Citroen behind me who stopped immediately (something I didn't want do as he was so close behind me) who apparently got out of his car, picked up the item, and drove off. This makes me think someone knew it had fallen off their load. For anyone who says I should have been paying attention, it was my only option. If I'd braked hard enough to avoid it, he would have hit me from behind, if I had swerved I would have driven in to on-coming traffic (single 40mph carriage way) so our only option was to go over it and hope for the best. BMW have said I was lucky it made my car lift up as it should have taken out my exhaust and differential but neither of them have been damaged.

I question what really is the point of having nice cars.
      07-11-2016, 04:41 AM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Sorry to hear that Dan! So as long as you didn't get hurt I cringe every time I drive at night here because of all the wild life we have here especially deers. You hit one just right and a deer could total your car out! So your insurance is covering all your damages?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 05:03 AM   #3
DanChapman90
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
Sorry to hear that Dan! So as long as you didn't get hurt I cringe every time I drive at night here because of all the wild life we have here especially deers. You hit one just right and a deer could total your car out! So your insurance is covering all your damages?
Thanks buddy, I was a little shook up as it was quite a hit!
I'm glad we don't have 'too' much roaming wildlife here, although it has been known for the odd deer to run out.

Insurance are covering the cost which so far is roughly £6800. They will pursue all avenues to recover their costs from the party that dropped the item in the first place but they have had to notify the police for them to access the CCTV footage covering the area.
      07-11-2016, 10:53 AM   #4
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Just be happy that no one got hurt. We all love our cars, but in the end, they are just replaceable objects. Get your car repaired, and let the insurance company do their job. That is why we pay for insurance, correct?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 04:40 AM   #5
DanChapman90
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013 View Post
Just be happy that no one got hurt. We all love our cars, but in the end, they are just replaceable objects. Get your car repaired, and let the insurance company do their job. That is why we pay for insurance, correct?
It is indeed why we pay insurance, I'm just grateful that my insurance company have really pulled through and not dragged their heels.
I'm currently driving around in a 1.6l diesel Seat Leon (don't even think you guys have them in the States) which is my hire car.
      07-12-2016, 09:41 AM   #6
PJinCA
USAF Pararescue Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanChapman90 View Post
It is indeed why we pay insurance, I'm just grateful that my insurance company have really pulled through and not dragged their heels.
I'm currently driving around in a 1.6l diesel Seat Leon (don't even think you guys have them in the States) which is my hire car.
Correct, we don't have Seats in the US. Glad nobody was hurt, and wow!!!! That is a lot of damage. Good luck getting it fixed, I hope your car gets returned to you quickly.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 05:20 AM   #7
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Ouch! Glad you're okay, any updates on the CCTV footage?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 07:00 AM   #8
DanChapman90
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_alnimah View Post
Ouch! Glad you're okay, any updates on the CCTV footage?
Not as of yet, I'm still waiting to hear from my insurance company to see if they've got an update.

My car is currently being repaired as the parts arrived from Germany yesterday