2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Coilover Adjustments for Balance Between Comfort & Performance

11-21-2017, 03:30 PM   #1
zugellos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

Coilover Adjustments for Balance Between Comfort & Performance

Ok...so I started this thread NOT to give advise on coilover adjustments, but to ASK for it.

I purchased a great set of CKS coilovers from a forum member here (eehhem...Grumpy514) a while ago. Been playing with the dampening ever since, trying to get the perfect setting; not there yet.

I wanted to reach out to you to see if I can get some help. I've done quite a bit of research already on the topic. But was hoping someone like Grumpy514 could chime in and give some advice.

The CKS Coilovers I'm running have the following specs:
  • 12 Way Dampening (-12 --- 0 --- 12+)
  • 12kg Front Spring Rate
  • 10kg Rear Spring Rate
  • 3 Setups (Street, Street/Track, FULL Race)
I'm unsure of which "setup" I have though. It feels as though I may have the "Street/Track" variant.
It seems I get too much of a rough ride; quite a bit of bounce over irregular street surfaces.

Anyways...can anyone help?

Grumpy514...what dampening setting did you run these at when you had them? Also...did you have any preload set?

Thanks in advance folks!

Last edited by zugellos; 12-06-2017 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 12:21 AM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

i tried Google searching my spring rates on my KW's but couldn't find any? most info i got on mine was the engineers found a balance for both street and comfort. my car rides smooth but if i get on it the car handles great. from reading yours it sounds like your dampers are setup for maybe track use because you feel the road a lot more? have you tried different settings to see if it changes? not sure how accessible those dial knobs are?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 09:16 AM   #3
zugellos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
i tried Google searching my spring rates on my KW's but couldn't find any? most info i got on mine was the engineers found a balance for both street and comfort. my car rides smooth but if i get on it the car handles great. from reading yours it sounds like your dampers are setup for maybe track use because you feel the road a lot more? have you tried different settings to see if it changes? not sure how accessible those dial knobs are?
Like I've mentioned...I've been trying a variety of combinations of settings for the fronts and rears. I've lost track of what the actual setting is at.

Last night, I increased the rear dampening by an additional two clicks. The ride into work this morning seemed a little better. But that was on surface-streets only; not the freeway going 95+.

Usually...she handles much better when she's got a full tank of gas. I'm at half-tank now with the latest adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
zugellos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

In week since my previous post...I've managed to increase the dampening values for both fronts and rears.

Initially, I increased the rear's by 2 clicks from where it was at; probably at 3 clicks from the highest now.

The fronts were also bumped up by 2 clicks...those are probably 4 from the highest now.

Amazingly...the suspension feels like it's getting closer to the sweet spot IMO. I might get to increasing the fronts some more, maybe to the point that the fronts will result in more understeer.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2017, 08:32 PM   #5
zugellos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

OK...just got done re-adjusting the dampening again.

I took the time to see where I had it at after the last adjustment. So far it seems tightening up the dampening is improving the ride quality.

Going to keep bumping it up until the ride worsens, then I'll back down.

My CKS' settings go from 0-to-24; or -12---0---12+.
Fronts are at 16.
Rears are at 20.

Not sure if anyone else is running these same coilovers.
I'd love to compare numbers.

Last edited by zugellos; 12-06-2017 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2017, 02:50 PM   #6
zugellos
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just thought I'd update you on my ride.

It seems the last setting adjustment I made above is working out. I don't think I could get the ride to improve any more from where I'm at.

There is less bounce now and the harshness is more forgiving.
Appreciate 0