2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Weird Pricing question

03-24-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Weird Pricing question

For the GT in the USA, there are various options that will get you heated seats:
- Fronts (on stock seats) alone
- Fronts with active comfort seats alone
- Cold weather package (front/rear/steering wheel)
- Rear comfort seats (rear alone)

So, since the front active comfort seats include heat, one would assume that if you also chose the cold weather package (the only way to get heated rear seats without the high cost fancy ones), you'd get a break on the fronts since they already have it. NOT SO, at least per BMWUSA. So, as in my case, where I wanted the active comfort front seats and the rears to be heated, I ended up paying twice for the front seat heaters. Does anyone else thing this is double-charging for the same thing? I'd much rather have that $500 (the US cost for fronts alone) or so in my pocket rather than theirs!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 12:04 AM   #2
avus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Doesn't the active comfort pkg also included ventilated or cooled seats along w/ the heated option mentioned?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #3
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avus View Post
Doesn't the active comfort pkg also included ventilated or cooled seats along w/ the heated option mentioned?
That's my whole point!

If you want the rear seats heated, but don't want the fancy extra cost ones, the only way (in the US anyway) to get them is to buy the cold weather package. The cold weather package gives you heated front/rear/steeringwheel. So, effectively, you are paying twice for heated front seats. Bugs me. Not sure how they price it elsewhere, but here, it's a built-in extra profit margin or penalty, if you will, for not buying the fancy rear seats.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
ParisSF
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

That's a very good catch!
Usually BMW is pretty good at discounting combined packages with overlap, but in this case, there is no discount even though 494 is listed both under ZAV and ZCW

I'll look for other options that could be double counted, so we know whether it is a mistake or not
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
gmblack3
Paint Polishing Perfection
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335is '12 535i GT

Garage List
Also if you order sport package for $2200 and Luxury Seating Package for $2700 both include Multi-contour seats. So if I want all options for both packages, I pay for Multi-contour seats twice.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
jonw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 Comp Gran Coupe & X5 MSport

Garage List
Not sure what spec you guys in the US get as standard on the GT.
Here in the UK they have not sold at all well and as a result BMW have added loads of kit as standard now.
Has the GT sold well over there ?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonw View Post
Not sure what spec you guys in the US get as standard on the GT.
Here in the UK they have not sold at all well and as a result BMW have added loads of kit as standard now.
Has the GT sold well over there ?
Not particularly, and the 2012 includes many things that were optional last year. Now, it still sells much better than the estate ever did (which BMW chose not to continue to import to some's consternation), so in that view, it is a success. I don't know the actual sales numbers.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #8
jonw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 Comp Gran Coupe & X5 MSport

Garage List
I pick up an Alpine White MSport next week.
Standard spec now over here is leather, prof nav, folding mirrors, bluetooth, usb, panoramic roof, powered boot (trunk) , dynamic suspension plus the usual xenons etc.
Lease deals in the UK are very very good at the moment as they are bring subsidised by BMW to try and get some cars on the road here.
Appreciate 0