2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK 530D Bluespark Tuning Box

02-13-2017, 05:27 AM   #1
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

530D Bluespark Tuning Box

Have been looking at tuning options on the 530D for a while and decided on the Bluespark Pro+ box. Managed to get a 10% discount and free postage so total was £252

I considered an MPK from BMW at £1100 and other tuning options but chose the Bluespark as there were a lot of reviews from 330D owners and I messaged them to get feedback.

This is a 2 channel device that is programmed specifically for the engine and connects to the fuel rail and boost sensor, fitting takes 10 mins and the settings can be changed to suit.

The difference is very impressive, everything is a lot smoother and the car just pulls like a train when floored, BHP is in the region of 300+BHP and 650NM, I am going on a rolling road in May so will know better then.

I appreciate that this could invalidate my warranty if anything goes wrong but in reality the changes are within certain parameters and I have mapped cars in the past without issue and these boxes are a lot more sophisticated than they used to be.

LV Insurance charged £56 a year extra for the increase and Black grills so very reasonable.

If anyone is considering one I would say don't hesitate as the box comes with a 28 day return policy and as I have found out the aftersales service is fantastic.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 06:28 AM   #2
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

I appreciate that you probably change your driving style with this fitted but do you have evidence for the impact on fuel consumption?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 06:42 AM   #3
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
I appreciate that you probably change your driving style with this fitted but do you have evidence for the impact on fuel consumption?
I have increased the settings from C6 to C8 so it's now producing more power, 9 is the most.

I have driven it hard for the last 2 trips to test it and as expected the MPG is effected, however if you drive normally then you should see a slight increase in MPG as the extra torque means you are not accelerating as hard to get to the speed you want.

Speaking with members on the F30 forum they are saying around 2-4 MPG increase when driving sensibly.

However now it's fitted it's tempting to keep having a play as its like a rocket
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 08:39 AM   #4
balfron100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Austin 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
I have increased the settings from C6 to C8 so it's now producing more power, 9 is the most.

I have driven it hard for the last 2 trips to test it and as expected the MPG is effected, however if you drive normally then you should see a slight increase in MPG as the extra torque means you are not accelerating as hard to get to the speed you want.

Speaking with members on the F30 forum they are saying around 2-4 MPG increase when driving sensibly.

However now it's fitted it's tempting to keep having a play as its like a rocket
Dose the module have different settings which you can choose manually or is it set by the manufacturer (C6 to C8) ? Were is the module fixed ? What is the main purpose of using this type of tuning kit, is it just increase power / torque, is there any risk of engine , turbo damage?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2017, 06:01 PM   #5
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by balfron100 View Post
Dose the module have different settings which you can choose manually or is it set by the manufacturer (C6 to C8) ? Were is the module fixed ? What is the main purpose of using this type of tuning kit, is it just increase power / torque, is there any risk of engine , turbo damage?
Have a read here

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1351829

You can manually change the settings A to E and 1 to 9. The module can be fixed where you want it I have put mine on the front right under the strut brace, it increases both power and torque but depends on the A to E setting, for example I prefer setting D as it has more torque than E which has less torque but more power, the numbers are almost like a volume setting once you have found the map setting that you prefer (A to E)

You should call the manufacturer to discuss as they are extremely helpful, they advised that the tuning is not extreme and within safe tolerances and feel that a 15-20% increase in power is safe given how engines are tuned for all markets and conditions.

I would not risk anything stupid on a brand new engine hence why I was happy to buy one.
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2017, 08:00 AM   #6
balfron100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Austin 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR1969 View Post
Have a read here

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1351829

You can manually change the settings A to E and 1 to 9. The module can be fixed where you want it I have put mine on the front right under the strut brace, it increases both power and torque but depends on the A to E setting, for example I prefer setting D as it has more torque than E which has less torque but more power, the numbers are almost like a volume setting once you have found the map setting that you prefer (A to E)

You should call the manufacturer to discuss as they are extremely helpful, they advised that the tuning is not extreme and within safe tolerances and feel that a 15-20% increase in power is safe given how engines are tuned for all markets and conditions.

I would not risk anything stupid on a brand new engine hence why I was happy to buy one.
Hi JLR, wondered how you are getting on with the timing box since you've had it a few weeks now, do you think theirs a worthwhile improvement in both performance and MPG?
I've have had a look as you suggested and their are a few manufacturers out their, are you happy with the bluespark unit? Finally my car has a bit more mileage on it than yous (80k, 3L, 525d) so I'm wondering if I would see better or worse figures given the engine is not as tight as a newer unit, any thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by balfron100; 02-24-2017 at 08:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2017, 08:28 AM   #7
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by balfron100 View Post
Hi JLR, wondered how you are getting on with the timing box since you've had it a few weeks now, do you think theirs a worthwhile improvement in both performance and MPG?
I've have had a look as you suggested and their are a few manufacturers out their, are you happy with the bluespark unit? Finally my car has a bit more mileage on it than yous (80k, 3L, 525d) so I'm wondering if I would see better or worse figures given the engine is not as tight as a newer unit, any thoughts are appreciated.
Hi Mate

I have not done many miles so not sure about the MPG I suspect it's probably the same when driving carefully but uses more when pressing on.

I have changed the settings a few times and have settled on one that gives greater torque lower down the Rev range as this suits the car better. I can feel a definite difference between standard and the box.

I am very happy with it.

Why not order one and see what you think as there is a 28 day return policy
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2017, 12:05 PM   #8
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

So managed to put the car on a rolling road and it produced 301BHP and 650Nm so for £260 really good value for money.

Tend to drive the car like Miss Daisy most of the time but when needed the performance is very impressive.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #9
Moor
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530D

Sounds good, how did you get the discount?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #10
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moor View Post
Sounds good, how did you get the discount?
Just asked for a discount, said I was on the f30 post a lot and they had a group buy which I missed and could I have a better price
Appreciate 0