2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum LCI disappointments: NO MORE M suspension (?), halogen turn signals on xenon lights

08-08-2013, 10:47 AM   #23
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
I seriously doubt BMW will get rid of the MSport suspension, after all, it really doesnt cost that much to make the suspension stiffer.
I guess our opinion differ, anybody can make a fix suspension handle well, but to do so without making the ride stiffer, thats the hard part. Thats where smart suspension comes into play and in my view, the future of suspension technology.
Everybody idea of floaty or comfortable is different, heck, some people actually like their ride on the firm side. I must say BMW hit the nail on the head with the F10's suspension tuning. Sure there are a bunch of BMW enthusiast in here crying foul, but the majority of the F10 owner like the softer ride compare the previous gen, including myself. I believe the sales numbers will back up my claim.
Here in the UK we have had the cry for better more comfortable sport suspensions in a 5-series BMW, ever since the E60/1 cars were rated too firm and jarring.

Even the F10 base suspension received criticism for a knobbly low speed ride, and adding the adaptive suspension was viewed as necessary by many motoring hacks. Even one of our respected motoring mag's recommends skipping the M-sport suspension in the 5-series, if we value ride quality. One of the reasons the M-sport models have the "delete M-sport suspension" option here in the UK.

I'm blown away by the adaptive system in my F11. I can pick my comfort/sport level, the working envelope is so much wider. I also see it as the future. We have a terrible array of road surfaces and I know in my car (even with adaptive suspension), I'd not want to be always in the sport suspension setting on some of my local roads, just spoils the feel of the 5-series.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 12:36 PM   #24
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Living in the Northeast US, roads here are full of potholes after each winter. A fix sport suspension here is a perfect recipe for rattles and discomfort. I am guessing that is why BMW only offer standard suspension and adaptive suspension with X-drive. The low ground clearance of the fix MSport suspension can also be an issue with potholes and snow. The Mercedes S-Class just introduce a hydraulic Active Body Control suspension system with stereoscopic twin cameras mounted ahead of the rearview mirror to scan ahead and relax or firm up the suspension in preparation for the road surfaces ahead. To me, thats the best of both world, a comfortable ride when the road when rough and sporty handling on the smooth roads.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #25
igom3
Major
Rep
Drives: 02 E46M3 15 F80 M3 16 X5 35d

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I seriously doubt BMW will get rid of the MSport suspension, after all, it really doesnt cost that much to make the suspension stiffer.
I guess our opinion differ, anybody can make a fix suspension handle well, but to do so without making the ride stiffer, thats the hard part. Thats where smart suspension comes into play and in my view, the future of suspension technology.
Everybody idea of floaty or comfortable is different, heck, some people actually like their ride on the firm side. I must say BMW hit the nail on the head with the F10's suspension tuning. Sure there are a bunch of BMW enthusiast in here crying foul, but the majority of the F10 owner like the softer ride compare the previous gen, including myself. I believe the sales numbers will back up my claim.
Unfortinatley a lot of people drives BMW's and Porches for status symbol not for the car it self. Very sad but true.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #26
igom3
Major
Rep

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
[QUOTE=The X Men;14462341]Just wondering K-A, do you have this MSport suspension in your car? Personally, I would rather have the adaptive suspension which I can adjust as oppose to a fix suspension. Its almost like comparing a smart suspension to a dumb one. These fix suspension are old technology, the future is active suspension with some sort of computer control.

We don't care what do you thing about fix suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 02:31 PM   #27
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by igom3 View Post
Unfortinatley a lot of people drives BMW's and Porches for status symbol not for the car it self. Very sad but true.
Since the F10 is selling better than the E60, I would say a lot of people are buying the 5 series because of the more comfortable ride.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #28
igom3
Major
Rep

Garage List
2016 X5 35d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 E46 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Since the F10 is selling better than the E60, I would say a lot of people are buying the 5 series because of the more comfortable ride.
It’s not all about sales, although I have to say F10 is better looking car and more technologically advanced than E60 and that is important factor IMO.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 07:34 PM   #29
Atl550
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Please keep us posted! Being such an advocate for the suspension I'm genuinely bummed out.

FYI this is specific to U.S cars as EU M Sports always had the M suspension option. We in the States so far have only been privy to it for one year so far.
I stopped by Global BMW of Atlanta on the way home from the airport to see if they had any 2014 m sports in yet and they had one 528i. I snapped a shot of the stickers (attached) and did a quick comparison of the height. Note the 2014 sticker does not say m suspension and the 2013 does. And, the 2013 was around 1.5 inches lower!
Attached Images

2014 550i M-Sport | Jet Black | Ivory White Nappa Leather w/ Black Dashboard | Anthracite Wood Trim | 19" 351M Performance Tires | Exec Package | Cold Weather Package | Lighting Package | Side and Top View Cameras | Parking Assistant
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #30
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 550i M-Sport

I want to know who really knows if the 2014 550i M-Sport has the M-Sport suspension setup as passive. I'm about to order one and I don't want to make a mistake. Of course, there are always ACS or Dinan lowering springs, right? $800 total for springs and labor vs. $3500 for Dynamic Damper Control. That's an easy decision.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #31
Luminor513
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 G07 x40i BSM/Blk Merino

If the LCI m-sport doesn't have the m-sport suspension, this will be a huge disappointment. I can't imagine BMW getting rid of a feature they just added in 2013.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #32
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

Quote:
The beauty of the M suspension on the F10 is that it DOESN'T ride stiff and too sporty. It still rides way more comfort oriented BUT it gives the F10 that dynamic, connected feel that is true to BMW. It's honestly the best suspension/chassis setup I've ever experienced. Smoother than an E Class with Airmatic and sportier than any other F10 setup if you ask me.

Quote:
Living in the Northeast US, roads here are full of potholes after each winter. A fix sport suspension here is a perfect recipe for rattles and discomfort. I am guessing that is why BMW only offer standard suspension and adaptive suspension with X-drive. The low ground clearance of the fix MSport suspension can also be an issue with potholes and snow. The Mercedes S-Class just introduce a hydraulic Active Body Control suspension system with stereoscopic twin cameras mounted ahead of the rearview mirror to scan ahead and relax or firm up the suspension in preparation for the road surfaces ahead. To me, thats the best of both world, a comfortable ride when the road when rough and sporty handling on the smooth roads.
The problem with the S' hydraulic system is that not only is it incredibly expensive to repair, rendering out-of-warranty S-Classes practically worthless, but the cameras on the new one are pretty much gimmicks as they only help on manmade surfaces like speed bumps. Apparently they don't help at all yet on potholes and such.

They also make a car feel excessively artificial, as DHP does, which on a chassis like the F10 that is already so inherently smooth, comfortable and isolating isn't necessary, IMO.

The thing about the M suspension is that it does not make the F10 ride "stiff" at all, it still can be characterized as somewhat "floaty", but it's tighter and more dynamic than any other F10 setup, so my take is that it simultaneously tingles more senses than one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atl550 View Post
I stopped by Global BMW of Atlanta on the way home from the airport to see if they had any 2014 m sports in yet and they had one 528i. I snapped a shot of the stickers (attached) and did a quick comparison of the height. Note the 2014 sticker does not say m suspension and the 2013 does. And, the 2013 was around 1.5 inches lower!
DAMN! You confirmed it. My suspension measured about 2" lower than a member who measured his 2014 LCI M Sport so this seems consistent. Upsetting.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #33
Donser
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10

Wow that's cool. M Sport 528 is not available in Canada.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #34
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Ok so that pretty much settles it that I will need to order a set of ACS springs for the LCI 550. Doesn't mean the LCI's will handle worse than the 13's which i'm sure isn't the case but I can't stand massive wheel gaps especially with plus size wheels...

Alan
      08-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #35
mundo74
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10M5

Quote:
Not sure but I think the 2013 Msport 528 did not list a M suspension either. I remember the 2013 535 listed the m suspension.
      08-08-2013, 10:12 PM   #36
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Ok so that pretty much settles it that I will need to order a set of ACS springs for the LCI 550. Doesn't mean the LCI's will handle worse than the 13's which i'm sure isn't the case but I can't stand massive wheel gaps especially with plus size wheels...

Alan
How much is the buy/install on springs like that on an F10?

My only concern with lowering springs is that in my experiences, they "throw off" the suspension sometimes, namely by way of being excessively brutal when you hit hard bumps (unless you do the shocks/struts with it). The beauty of the M Sport suspension (aside from not having to spend the extra cash on new suspension components when you already paid $3,100 on a friggin' M Package) in its lowered state is that it's already "dialed in" to be that low, therefore you don't get any "bottoming out" when you hit too hard of bumps.

However my experiences here were with cars like Mustangs, Civics, and typical "teenager" cars like that.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #37
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Putting springs on a non-M suspension will be different than on a M-susp as the dampers and anti-roll bars are different.
You have lowered springs but stock OE dampers and ARBS.. it is not matched as well as if you lowered with M-suspension.
If you just wanted lowered and handling characteristics not as important, it's fine, otherwise it increases the case to go coilovers which have matched shocks. Then you could also change the front and rear ARBS..
But that costs as much as the DHP..
They really wiped out a good option here.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #38
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

ACS springs are about 650 which is on the high side. H&R's are about half that price but doesn't have anywhere the rave reviews that ACS does. Install for me is about 300 so it isn't bad at all.

Matching springs and shocks is overrated. Yes it matters but its not as big of a concern if you are only dropping it 1". Slamming a car on stock dampers with 2.5" lower springs will obvious have a massive effect on handling and ride quality. I have ACS springs on my 535xi now and the car handles much better than before without sacrificing ride quality one bit. I am not a fan of coilovers because although the manufactures physically make them fit a particular car they don't actually track test it or do real world driving with every car they offer fitment for. Its like the valving is universal and its really up to the user to really dial it. Honestly not many people is qualified enough to really know how to dial in a car suspension themselves. I had this issue with coilovers on my 335i. I must have tried adjusting them over a dozen times and at the end it still never felt right. It was either too firm/rough or too soft causing the car to bounce. Driving good with one passenger also doesn't mean it will drive good with a full load of people in the car as i've learned.
      08-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #39
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

My point is lowering with springs from non-M suspension is going to be a little different from M-suspension because the shocks will be softer
Not that it matters that much (that's what I have).. but body roll etc. will be slightly worse even when lowered because of the non-M susp ARBS
btw I wouldn't get the ACS springs if they can't produce something that doesn't grind against itself - you don't have to be a mechanical engineer to realise this
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 11:52 PM   #40
Aeroav8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

Does the '14 M-sport package have the increased speed limiter to 155mph? I don't see it stated anywhere on the BMWusa website
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #41
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimlock View Post
My point is lowering with springs from non-M suspension is going to be a little different from M-suspension because the shocks will be softer
Not that it matters that much (that's what I have).. but body roll etc. will be slightly worse even when lowered because of the non-M susp ARBS
btw I wouldn't get the ACS springs if they can't produce something that doesn't grind against itself - you don't have to be a mechanical engineer to realise this
Looks great and handles great. Why not.

There hasn't been one negative review about them.

The spring noise issue is resolved with a simple $5 part that most springs normally comes with anyway. I heard they now include it.

Alan
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 10:03 AM   #42
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
The beauty of the M suspension on the F10 is that it DOESN'T ride stiff and too sporty.

They also make a car feel excessively artificial, as DHP does
From what I understand, the MSport suspension is a bit stiffer than the adaptive suspension in sport mode and I find the adaptive suspension in sport mode pretty stiff. Like I said earlier, everybody's idea of a comfortable ride is different, some people actaully think the M3 have a comfortable ride. If I live in California with the smooth roads, I might opt for the sport suspension like you, but living in New England, its best to have an adjustable suspension or the standard one. As far as the adaptive suspension feeling artificial, I dont agree with that at all, it feels the same as any other coil suspension I have ever driven, sport or otherwise. On the other hand, air suspension does have a different feel to it, but even that, I would not call it artificial, just different.
BMW use to be the leader in suspension technologies, but recently, Audi and Lexus pretty much have caught up. There is only so much a designer can do with dumb suspensions, while the possibilities of the smart suspension is limitless.

Last edited by The X Men; 08-09-2013 at 11:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #43
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 550i M-Sport

It is odd that on the bmw website for the 2014s that the M-Sport suspension is only listed for the 550i, not the 535 or the 528 on the M-Sport. I wonder why that is?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #44
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

i guess you have to get the lighting package to get full LED on the LCI models. here is one with LED headlight and turn signals

Appreciate 0