2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Will I be disappointed?

07-10-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
ben_e71
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 3

Will I be disappointed?

As I said in my other post I'm looking for new company car.

I've narrowed it down to 520d SE, 320d MSport + or Merc C class sport.

All good cars and no disgrace in any of them. But the c-class is the top spec and £30pcm less. However the 520d is great too.

But I am concerned being that I will have to go for black or White, can only add the normal auto box and xenons I will be pretty much base spec.

So my question is am I going to get a poor relation 5 series and thus should go for the high spec Merc or 3 series. Or is the base spec 5 series still great. I have driven all three and all have plus points.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 03:47 PM   #2
The Mewster
Private
Rep
Drives: F11 520d - arrived Jan 2011.

Having had a loaner 3-series for about a month while waiting for my 5, I can say that IMHO the general ambiance of the cabin in the 5 is a big step up from the 3. So, gut feeling is that a basic 5 will be nicer than a well spec'ed 3 or C class. I guess it depends on how into your toys you are!

Pro media pack, visibility pack, sports steering wheel, heated seats, lumbar support, ambient lighting, USB interface, 18" wheels, parking camera, auto tailgate, sun protection glass.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Captain Chaos
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: cars n stuff

Can't comment with a vast amount of experience on the C class, but the F10 is a huge launch forwards in technology over the E9x. And with the new model just around the corner, the 3-series would arguably be the worst choice of the lot as a brand new model.

Understandable concerns, but I'd say take the 5 over the 3.
      07-10-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

What is included in the merc? Just curious. Personally I've never liked mercs but that just me.

Only reason I ask is that even in a top of the range BMW you don't get many toys for free unless it's an M car which case BMW throw them in but your paying a premium for the car anyway....just look at the list price for the new M5......you get media pro STD.....so you should for 70 k

So what does the merc have that your 520d spec wouldn't?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 01:15 AM   #5
ben_e71
Private First Class
Rep

Well the Merc has xenons, full adaptive headlights, full command navigation, idrive (well their version) amg bodykit, amg wheels, amg detailing. Lowered 15mm

But it doesn't have leather. So it is sort of like their version of a m-sport. (Not a M5 or M3 obviously)

I am attracted to the semi-sport styling of the Merc and the 3 series sport plus. Ideally I would have the M-sport 5 series but cannot afford it....

I know the 5 is an amazingly smooth, well kitted out car ... but on 17" wheels and base spec I'm concerned its a bit base.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 03:10 AM   #6
blaz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d,F30 330e,G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_e71 View Post
I've narrowed it down to 520d SE, 320d MSport + or Merc C class sport.
snap!

I'm a merc driver (E,M,SLK and C)

Loved the 320d MSport - agility and also fairly swift in the manual once the rev range was understood. Bit cramped compared to my beloved C

Impressed by the C250cdi in many ways

Blown away by 5 minutes in a stationary 520d

520d arrives next month

MUST get the sport auto box for £110 more

Enjoy your choice
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 05:15 AM   #7
ben_e71
Private First Class
Rep

Blaz - how std did you leave your 5?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 05:20 AM   #8
pyramid
Private First Class
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: Serpent S966

Garage List
Various Various  [0.00]
Get the F10 with base spec, it is different class of car compared to C. I have them both.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 05:33 AM   #9
ben_e71
Private First Class
Rep

So having looked at my five spec these are the options I have specc'd

Xenons
Nav
Privacy glass (a non negotiable for the wife and kids)
Metallic Paint
Folding mirrors

So I've managed to to uprate the lights (my biggest bugbear is dim lights) put the nav in as I use it a lot, nice colour as I don;t want another black car and think it is possibly too big for white and on a big car in tight parking folding mirrors seem a must.

So being if I am to add anything I need to remove something anything I've missed or anything I should remove. IN an ideal world I would have sports box and pro nav but they take the budget too far.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 06:21 AM   #10
blaz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Blaz - how std did you leave your 5?
erm not much

Sophisto Grey 2 / Oyster / Black Dakota (std) Leather
Auto Sport transmisison
Variable Damper Control
Active Steering
Dynamic Pack with W type 332 19" wheels
Visibility Pack
Air Con Extended features
Grey Windscreen ShadeBand
Delete Smoker Pack
Model Delete
USB audio somthing
Fold Dim Ext Mirrors
Lumbar Support
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 06:40 AM   #11
blaz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So having looked at my five spec these are the options I have specc'd
still auto? if so go for the sport box @ +£110 as non-negotiable
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 06:41 AM   #12
ben_e71
Private First Class
Rep

yeah see that's the point if I could afford to do that I wouldn't be asking the question. BUt I can't and that's why I'm concerned :0)
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #13
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

Quote:
yeah see that's the point if I could afford to do that I wouldn't be asking the question. BUt I can't and that's why I'm concerned :0)
So you've gone for the business nav? How much uplift does pro nab add to you monthly charge? List price I think there's only £500 in it.

I hear what your saying about folding mirrors but if ditching them in anyway made pro nav more accessible consider it. Why? Well since getting my F11 my parking rules are these

1. No multi storey far parks unless I know the layout VERY well. Short stay at T5 LHR is just about ok

2. Never park in any space between two cars. Ideally go for an end space or space near some painted hash marks so car can be positioned so that side next to adjacent vehicle is more than door width away.

3. If possible find one of those highly sought after spots where no cars park either side of you

4. Always park as far away as possible from whatever facility it is your parking at as that usually = on your own.

completely OCD I know but wife used to me now. Whats point telling you that? Well makes my folding mirrors redundant and for the odd time might say park in the street you can always fold em in manually.

If scrimping on these makes no difference to pro nav just forget all of the above and keep em......it throw in DAB. I'd take DAB over my folding mirrors and yes I appreciate it's easy to say that when you have both but it's true.

One more thing I bought the sunblinds from BMW parts for my F11, found they were still needed for the baby even though I have sun protection glass so theres another possible saving as you could ditch the sun protection glass and install he blinds yourself aftermarket. Easy to fit, look good and still allow window glass to be raised and lowered when in place. Search trough my previous posts and you'll see them fitted along with pics. I'll try and dig URL out later for that thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #14
ben_e71
Private First Class
Rep

Yes still auto.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #15
ben_e71
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks. Hear what you say re mirrors. Pro nav is £15 a mth more and just not sure I need it. Played with friend's business nav this week and it seemed fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
So you've gone for the business nav? How much uplift does pro nab add to you monthly charge? List price I think there's only £500 in it.

I hear what your saying about folding mirrors but if ditching them in anyway made pro nav more accessible consider it. Why? Well since getting my F11 my parking rules are these

1. No multi storey far parks unless I know the layout VERY well. Short stay at T5 LHR is just about ok

2. Never park in any space between two cars. Ideally go for an end space or space near some painted hash marks so car can be positioned so that side next to adjacent vehicle is more than door width away.

3. If possible find one of those highly sought after spots where no cars park either side of you

4. Always park as far away as possible from whatever facility it is your parking at as that usually = on your own.

completely OCD I know but wife used to me now. Whats point telling you that? Well makes my folding mirrors redundant and for the odd time might say park in the street you can always fold em in manually.

If scrimping on these makes no difference to pro nav just forget all of the above and keep em......it throw in DAB. I'd take DAB over my folding mirrors and yes I appreciate it's easy to say that when you have both but it's true.

One more thing I bought the sunblinds from BMW parts for my F11, found they were still needed for the baby even though I have sun protection glass so theres another possible saving as you could ditch the sun protection glass and install he blinds yourself aftermarket. Easy to fit, look good and still allow window glass to be raised and lowered when in place. Search trough my previous posts and you'll see them fitted along with pics. I'll try and dig URL out later for that thread.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #16
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramid View Post
Get the F10 with base spec, it is different class of car compared to C. I have them both.
I have an absolute basic 520d with no options other than Sophisto Grey - I was at the top of my grade allowance and wanted a bigger car for more long distance comfort. The base spec is high enough for it to still be lovely.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #17
ben_e71
Private First Class
Rep

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 06:29 PM   #18
ben_e71
Private First Class
Rep

Although to really through cat amongst pigeons I could forego the nav and mirrors and get the m sport with sports auto.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 03:29 AM   #19
blaz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Although to really through cat amongst pigeons I could forego the nav and mirrors and get the m sport with sports auto.
I'm still spending £110 of yours on the sport auto. £110 over 3 years will depreciate to - £55? I do think it will help the company resell the car. £55 over 3 years = pint of beer per month.

Re MSport - I like the thinking - you'll get arguably a better looking car with bigger wheels and the sports suspension and the auto sport. Harsher ride, better handling (= my preference too hence I have gone for 19" on my SE but spent the extra on VDC and active steering)

Re Nav - if you don't have that on your fone - you will on your next...
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2011, 03:37 AM   #20
ben_e71
Private First Class
Rep

:0)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 04:05 AM   #21
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I take it from your questions you have not test drove the 520d f10 against the new face lifted C Class??

The Merc is a far more fun car to drive and such a big jump over the pre facelift, where as the BMW is very dumbed down compared with the previous 5 series.

Have you also considered the E Class? These were working out cheaper on leases than the C Class due to their residuals and the fact the base spec. is far higher.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2011, 01:47 AM   #22
blaz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
The Merc is a far more fun car to drive and such a big jump over the pre facelift, where as the BMW is very dumbed down compared with the previous 5 series.

Have you also considered the E Class? These were working out cheaper on leases than the C Class due to their residuals and the fact the base spec. is far higher.
Can't agree that the C250CDI facelift was significantly more fun. I'm a Merc man, most recently C320CDI and am loving my nearly 2 week old F10.

Do agree with your E class residuals comment as I do with the 5 series over 3 series calculations.