2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum climate control with mind of its own

01-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Dom
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2013 520d SE space grey

climate control with mind of its own

I noticed today that the air blowing out of the centre vent on my side was considerably colder than the air blowing out of the passenger side despite the fact that I had my side set at 26 and the passenger side at 23, Weird or what?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #2
Awaghorn
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 (F10 on order!)

Did you have a passenger in the car? Might be that temperature sensors thought your side was warmer (perhaps due to body heat?) and hence needed to direct air as described to achieve your targeted temperatures?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 03:35 AM   #3
Dom
Private First Class
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2013 520d SE space grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaghorn View Post
Did you have a passenger in the car? Might be that temperature sensors thought your side was warmer (perhaps due to body heat?) and hence needed to direct air as described to achieve your targeted temperatures?
No, there was no passenger in the car, only me. I reckon you're probably right. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 04:36 AM   #4
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport '21

I have seen this behavior as well, not really sure why.

I have also noticed when it is very cold outside, setting temp to 17/18degC is too warm, but if you go to 16 it blows clod air on both sides, so I have to set it to 16.5degC minimum....
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
I noticed today that the air blowing out of the centre vent on my side was considerably colder than the air blowing out of the passenger side despite the fact that I had my side set at 26 and the passenger side at 23, Weird or what?
Possibly not weird at all. Would be like that in the E9x models, as it gives the driver a cooler air blend at face level, compared to the passenger. The more extreme you set the CC, the more it appears to be giving wild results.

What settings do you use, fully auto? Air intensity levels, face vent thumbwheel setting will change the working characteristics.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 04:59 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpause View Post
I have seen this behavior as well, not really sure why.

I have also noticed when it is very cold outside, setting temp to 17/18degC is too warm, but if you go to 16 it blows clod air on both sides, so I have to set it to 16.5degC minimum....
Do you mean from the face level vents? What is the thumbwheel set at, red blob?

No issues here, set at 20C (both zones) and running full auto, low intensity air flow. Face level tuned to suit desired temperature blend.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Do you mean from the face level vents? What is the thumbwheel set at, red blob?

No issues here, set at 20C (both zones) and running full auto, low intensity air flow. Face level tuned to suit desired temperature blend.

HighlandPete
Yes turned to red blob, centre face vents.... Full auto

18 deg C + it's just too hot...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
Awaghorn
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 (F10 on order!)

Quote:

Have you tried turning down from red blob to something more in the middle, or is it the overall temp you find too high?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #9
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awaghorn View Post
Have you tried turning down from red blob to something more in the middle, or is it the overall temp you find too high?
Yes have tried that, it does help a little, however tends not to be even temp....
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Not surprised, you are hot faced.

Quote:
Yes have tried that, it does help a little, however tends not to be even temp....
Also you are not helping the CC to work softly in the background. It is modulating the face flow temperature to try and keep the balance, as you are working towards more extreme settings as you run lower cabin settings and dial in hot face vent temperatures.

You will probably find running a higher cabin temperature, say 20C, and setting the face thumbwheel more to the middle position, will give a more constant, but coolish flow. I run mine like that with low airflow intensity, (the lowest auto fan setting), regulating the face temperature to mood, and there are no comfort issues at all. Hardly necessary to touch the thumbwheel, unless there are seasonal temperature changes.

BTW, the face vent temperature is modulated on the warm up cycle to supply warmer air to the face vents, as the cabin heats up the face vents turn cooler to give you fresh air. That is normal in a BMW, always has been.

I've always found with BMW HVAC systems the less you mess with unusual settings, the better they perform.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
Gilgorm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i Xdrive GT

+1
I also find things can get messed up if the far-right passenger face vent is turned off by the thumbwheel. It creates an air imbalance in the car.
2018 640ix GT; Alpine White, Blk Nappa, Piano; M-sport, Premium (Ceramic, SIRIUS, Soft-close, Vent/Massage Comfort seats, Surround, Sunshades, Parking Ass't), Advanced Driver Ass't (Lane keep, Steering/Lane control, Cross traffic, ACC with Stop/Go), Smartphone, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i, 12 BMW 535i X-drive
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #12
jedpause
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Not surprised, you are hot faced.

Also you are not helping the CC to work softly in the background. It is modulating the face flow temperature to try and keep the balance, as you are working towards more extreme settings as you run lower cabin settings and dial in hot face vent temperatures.

You will probably find running a higher cabin temperature, say 20C, and setting the face thumbwheel more to the middle position, will give a more constant, but coolish flow. I run mine like that with low airflow intensity, (the lowest auto fan setting), regulating the face temperature to mood, and there are no comfort issues at all. Hardly necessary to touch the thumbwheel, unless there are seasonal temperature changes.

BTW, the face vent temperature is modulated on the warm up cycle to supply warmer air to the face vents, as the cabin heats up the face vents turn cooler to give you fresh air. That is normal in a BMW, always has been.

I've always found with BMW HVAC systems the less you mess with unusual settings, the better they perform.

HighlandPete
Will try as suggested
Appreciate 0