2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 550i low/high beam question/replacement. HELP!!!

02-17-2015, 07:00 AM   #1
Azimmerlyjr
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i RWD Black on black

550i low/high beam question/replacement. HELP!!!

Good day! I bought new 8000k bulbs for my 2012 550i. it has xenons. correct me if im wrong, but it seems that the passenger side bulb is constant and when you use the brights, the driver side is the only bulb that is activated???? ASSUMING that is normal, how will installing these bulbs affect the use of my brights? will they still function? someone please help! here are the lights:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360700571673...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

I always thought that both lights flash high beam. As fat as I know, there is a shutter than move up and down for the high beam, as long as the 8000K light is a D1S, it should be fine.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2015, 09:10 AM   #3
Azimmerlyjr
Banned
United_States
Rep

it is...should be fine then. idk, my right light is much brighter than my driver side light and when I turn my brights on, only the driver side gets brighter...very odd. can anyone else confirm anything about this????
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 01:26 PM   #4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

I hope you know these bulbs are much dimmer than stock bulbs and they are harsh on other drivers' eyes. All the BS they wrote is comparing that bulb to a halogen bulb. That's a pointless comparison as this is an HID bulb to replace another HID. They even said so themselves.

Your driver seems dimmer because it's aimed lower. The passenger side is aimed higher. When brights are turned on, both are aimed high so the driver side looks like it got much brighter. In reality, it's the same freaking bulbs so it's the same amount of lights. There's also a chance of having a defective product. What did you expect from a cheap ebay Chinese POS product? Buy some OSRAM lights if you want quality.

You don't seem to even know the basics of headlights but doing BS mods not caring about other drivers on the road. I suggest you find something better to do than ricing your car.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 01:39 PM   #5
Azimmerlyjr
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263
I hope you know these bulbs are much dimmer than stock bulbs and they are harsh on other drivers' eyes. All the BS they wrote is comparing that bulb to a halogen bulb. That's a pointless comparison as this is an HID bulb to replace another HID. They even said so themselves.

Your driver seems dimmer because it's aimed lower. The passenger side is aimed higher. When brights are turned on, both are aimed high so the driver side looks like it got much brighter. In reality, it's the same freaking bulbs so it's the same amount of lights. There's also a chance of having a defective product. What did you expect from a cheap ebay Chinese POS product? Buy some OSRAM lights if you want quality.

You don't seem to even know the basics of headlights but doing BS mods not caring about other drivers on the road. I suggest you find something better to do than ricing your car.
Are you talking to ME??? I didn't even install them yet dumbass! learn to read before you insult others knowledge about cars. I bought this car 3 weeks ago. It is 100% OEM and certified. Asshole.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 03:11 PM   #6
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azimmerlyjr View Post
Are you talking to ME??? I didn't even install them yet dumbass! learn to read before you insult others knowledge about cars. I bought this car 3 weeks ago. It is 100% OEM and certified. Asshole.
Lol you're just proving my point that you're clueless and have no idea what you're doing or the effects it would/will have on other drivers.

Learn to read yourself. My explanation covers both scenarios whether you installed them or not. Switching out good OSRAM bulbs for that crap is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You're basically just modding your car for:

1. dimmer lights
2. Less reliability
3. Annoy/possibly blind every other oncoming driver on the road

If that's your thing, it's a free country. But I'm also free to judge how much of an idiot and prick you are.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 03:34 PM   #7
Azimmerlyjr
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263 View Post
Lol you're just proving my point that you're clueless and have no idea what you're doing or the effects it would/will have on other drivers.

Learn to read yourself. My explanation covers both scenarios whether you installed them or not. Switching out good OSRAM bulbs for that crap is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You're basically just modding your car for:

1. dimmer lights
2. Less reliability

If that's your thing, it's a free country. But I'm also free to judge how much of an idiot and prick you are.
idiot and prick huh? well we have already PM'd a few times so 'll drop the subject but idiot and prick are about as accurate descriptions of me as headlight expert
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 07:58 PM   #8
Lieutenant
Rep

Wow, I think it's time you join another forum. There's plenty of others that support this kind of behavior from people like you. We haven't PM'd a few times. It's just you sending me multiple messages and I replied once. Unless you mean we as in just you.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 08:35 PM   #9
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:

1. dimmer lights
2. Less reliability

i'm with you. i switched out my stock OEM 4300 k for 8000k about 11 years ago on my older BMW( which is the closest thing to daylight and thats why that colour of 4200 - 4300k temp was chosen) just kills your field of view at night. Worst mistake ever! I used them for 3 weeks and took that shit out. That blueish purple looks is hard on the eyes and can't see shit.

This is absolutely correct. OSRAM and Philips are the biggest manufacturers of these bulbs. They even make the bulb in my home theatre projector.

No need to be rude to 493263. He's just stating facts.

Also please remember that blue is a relaxing colour, so prolonged exposure can promote driver fatigue
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 06:44 AM   #10
Azimmerlyjr
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadysev
Quote:

1. dimmer lights
2. Less reliability

i'm with you. i switched out my stock OEM 4300 k for 8000k about 11 years ago on my older BMW( which is the closest thing to daylight and thats why that colour of 4200 - 4300k temp was chosen) just kills your field of view at night. Worst mistake ever! I used them for 3 weeks and took that shit out. That blueish purple looks is hard on the eyes and can't see shit.

This is absolutely correct. OSRAM and Philips are the biggest manufacturers of these bulbs. They even make the bulb in my home theatre projector.

No need to be rude to 493263. He's just stating facts.

Also please remember that blue is a relaxing colour, so prolonged exposure can promote driver fatigue
I apologized via personal message. I was having a terrible day and i misread some of his post. I wont be installing the 8000k. I'll be going with the Osram 5500. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 06:55 AM   #11
Azimmerlyjr
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, I think it's time you join another forum. There's plenty of others that support this kind of behavior from people like you. We haven't PM'd a few times. It's just you sending me multiple messages and I replied once. Unless you mean we as in just you.
I apologize for my misread. I do. But there was a much much better way to explain the bulb situation to me than the way you did. I am on this forum to learn and share. I appreciate your knowledge but when you share information, it would be nice if you werent so abrasive thats all.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 07:00 AM   #12
Azimmerlyjr
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And you say things like "people like you"...you have no idea what kind of person i am lol. I dont want to argue or explain myself any more. You were a bit abrasive. I completely misread part of your post. I was having a terrible day and i lashed out. It was childish on my part and i apologize.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 01:24 PM   #13
Lieutenant
Rep

If you want the most light, stick with 4300 K. Don't go 5500 K because you like the slightly blue light. If you use a 4300 K bulb for a couple years, it will get bluish anyways.

When HID bulbs age, they will move higher on the color temperature. So buying 5500 K lights, will eventually get very blue and your field of vision is straight crap. The highest I would go is 5000 K if I were you.

FYI, the headlight assembly on these cars break a lot. You don't even know they worked on it when you take it in for maintenance until you looked at the details. Not all things that break will show up on your dash even if the car detects it. My car has 43k miles and it broke twice. I would stick with stock lights so they don't have any reason to void warranty service.
Appreciate 0