2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum New style rear seat entertainment screens and TV option, is it worth buying, does it

10-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #1
andyk500
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M sport Carbon Black

New style rear seat entertainment screens and TV option, is it worth buying, does it

Thinking of specifying the rear seat entertainment screens and TV option in my new F10 for my kids as we do a lot of long journeys and noticed the style of the screens has changed from the rather cumbersome built in ones to iPad style screens. Please could I ask for assistance/opinions on the following;

Does anyone have pictures of this new style screen option?
Are the screens removable for when the car is left in car parks etc. as they look like iPads they may be a real theft target?
Does the TV option work well picking up digital channels?
Does the TV play whilst in motion on the rear screens and retain a signal on the move?

Many thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
gorban
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F11 520xdAT, E87 120dM

Buy your kids a couple of iPads instead. Cheaper, more versatile and they're portable. There are headrest mounts available.

My understanding is that the rear seat entertainment system can be fully operated while on the move.
      10-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
khai Dow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "Grey Goose" X7 40D, IOMG M4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyk500
Thinking of specifying the rear seat entertainment screens and TV option in my new F10 for my kids as we do a lot of long journeys and noticed the style of the screens has changed from the rather cumbersome built in ones to iPad style screens. Please could I ask for assistance/opinions on the following;

Are the screens removable for when the car is left in car parks etc. as they look like iPads they may be a real theft target?
Does the TV play whilst in motion on the rear screens and retain a signal on the move?

Many thanks
Get them. My kids are 4 and 5. One watches a DVD and the other watches the navigation system. They look part of the car and I don't see them as being a theft risk. They can also operate completely independently from the front..ie kids listen using headphones to their movie while I listen to the stereo. It can be a little fiddly with young kids as they can't read or operate the remote properly. This may mean you have to stop to restart their movie etc. you can't control all functions from the front seats.

Are iPads better? Of course. I just don't want the hassle of keeping them charged, worrying every time I leave them in the car etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by khai Dow
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyk500

Many thanks
Get them. My kids are 4 and 5. One watches a DVD and the other watches the navigation system. They look part of the car and I don't see them as being a theft risk. They can also operate completely independently from the front..ie kids listen using headphones to their movie while I listen to the stereo. It can be a little fiddly with young kids as they can't read or operate the remote properly. This may mean you have to stop to restart their movie etc. you can't control all functions from the front seats.

Are iPads better? Of course. I just don't want the hassle of keeping them charged, worrying every time I leave them in the car etc.
Agreed. Get it. The navi is very cool and unique.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
Lees9
United_States
Rep
Drives: Incoming 535xi

I have it and my son love it . I am in the US and have the same concern about theft .
Wish we have the tv option here
      10-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
Andy H.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorban View Post
Buy your kids a couple of iPads instead. Cheaper, more versatile and they're portable. There are headrest mounts available.

My understanding is that the rear seat entertainment system can be fully operated while on the move.
+1.