2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo GT (F07) Forums General 5-Series GT (Gran Turismo) (F07) Forum Performance Brakes and LED Lighting Upgrade

08-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #1
Leedcfc99
Registered
Rep
Drives: 530d GT M Sport (Alpine White)

Performance Brakes and LED Lighting Upgrade

I've had my Alpine White 530d GT M Sport here in the UK for 4 months now and I absolutely love it.

There are two things that I would like to change though, and I wondered if anyone had any experience or thoughts on these.

Firstly, the brake calipers are now starting to rust - which rather takes the shine off the 20" wheels! I've always liked the bright yellow BMW Performance range brake calipers (see below) although these don't seem to be listed as an upgrade option on the 5GT, from looking at the BMW Performance Range catalogue/website. However, a friend of mine tells me that he saw a white GT M Sport with black wheels and yellow brakes, driven by a Nottingham based footballer. I think I'll be asking my dealer the question very soon!

Secondly, I love the angel eyes and the LED lighting in the door handles but I've always thought that the rear number plate lighting in plain yellow bulbs looks poor and I've thought about trying to swap the bulbs to some white LED units. These appear to be available online but I wondered if anyone had done the same?!

Really love the car. It's still getting lots of looks and comments.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
SpokenHands
Certified Car Nut
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AMG GTC + RR Velar + 640d GC

Garage List
I have had my F07 GT for 2 years and was really annoyed by the rusted brake callipers too. Walking around the used car lot at my BMW dealership, I was surprised that there were many cars of the same age that were not rusted, was then told that brake callipers were sourced from various suppliers and some did not have that issue. Enquired officially if this could be treated as a warranty issue, was told that rust on callipers was treated as a cosmetic issue and did not affect their function in any way. On pushing, BMW offered a complimentary rust-removal and re-spray that would last about 6 months; a proper paint job in any colour of my choice [remove tyre/wheel, isolate calliper and spray with heat-resistant paint would be £100 for all 4 corners.

LED bulbs (or bright white standard numberplate bulbs) are a straight fwd aftermarket option and easily swapped over. I havent done it, doesnt bother me quite as much to be honest. If anything i would match the 'yellow' front foglamps to the 'white' LED corona driving lights and headlamps as they are more visible.

Out of interest: do you really get positive looks and comments for the 5GT. I do the same, have written about it often here, i think it is to do with the styling and presence and exclusivity of well-specced 5GTs (they look good in certain colours and big alloys). I would hate to be seen in a Space Grey 320d/520d executive rep-mobile!
Appreciate 0