2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Bluetooth microphone location

05-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #1
Dutchie27
Registered
Rep
Drives: '10 F10 530d

Bluetooth microphone location

Hi all,

Proud owner of a '10 F10 530d, and loving the switch from the '06 M5. I miss the power and loud noise, but appreciate the comfort and smoothness of the F10 much more

I'm having a small issue with hands-free calls. According to the called party there's a _lot_ of background noise (wind), and I'm hard to hear.

I've been looking at the headliner and have noticed two rosters, one right above the drivers seat and one right above the passengers seat. When shining a light in the roster above the drivers seat it looks empty, whereas the roster above the passengers seat is filled up.

I'm not sure where the microphones are located, but my best guess is there. Can anyone confirm that the roster above the drivers seat is actually supposed to be empty, or is it filled up just like the one above the passengers seat in your car?

Thanks in advance for looking up when you're in the car ;-)
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
DieselWeasel
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335d|'11 535i|'13 X3 3.5

Make sure your air vents are not blowing upwards towards the sunroof. It will affect the mics ability to pickup your voice.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 05:02 AM   #3
Dutchie27
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselWeasel View Post
Make sure your air vents are not blowing upwards towards the sunroof. It will affect the mics ability to pickup your voice.
Was one of the first things I've checked. Didn't make a difference though.

Reason I'm asking for the microphone location is because I think my drivers seat microphone got loose somehow and is hanging loose somewhere in the headliner. Before I take it to the dealer I'd love to hear how the small roster above the drivers seat looks like in other board members' car.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
Dutchie27
Registered
Rep

Well, problem solved. Went to the dealer to have the mic checked out. Turns out the mic located above the drivers seat was loose and hanging somewhere in the headliner. Mechanic clicked it back in place, and now the phone quality is superb!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #5
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Excellent!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
uktivo
Private
Rep
Drives: 530D - F10

I've got exactly the same issue. Will check this out
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
BimmerUKF10
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 535d

For info there are actually two microphones. One in each side. As well as being able to pickup speech from your passenger, the two mic's work together to cancel out the background noise.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 10:59 AM   #8
jolenberger
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535i- 6 Speed Manual

I'm having a similar issue on my 2011 535i using a new Samsung Galaxy Halo android phone. People say they can generally hear me fine when I'm talking, but when I'm not talking there is excessive background noise (to the extent that I was asked to mute my line when not speaking while on a conference call). I think it sounds like static, and assuming its just highway noise. All windows and sunroof are closed and the fan is on low. I've noticed this more when taking calls on the highway.

Have others had this problem and successfully been able to solve it? I heard something about replacing the microphones. Thanks in advance for any help folks may be able to provide.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 07:40 PM   #9
T-Bone18
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i xDrive

Garage List
On my F10 with bimmerlink app, I have an error code B7F850 (Connection head-unit to microphone 2: line break.

I believe the car have 2 microphone, as I can see the 2 slot above each passenger and driver side head.

Is this error code mean my passenger side microphone does not work ?

I did a little bit of research and here is the only thing I can found.

A piece of information that might be useful to those coding 6NS.

I had coded from 6NH to 6NS some time ago and everything appeared to be working fine, but today I read the fault codes on my car with Rheingold and found that there is an ongoing fault in HU_NBT that reads "B7F850: Microphone 2. Open circuit".

Cars that come from the factory with 6NS (other than convertibles) have a second microphone on the passenger side that is not present on cars that come with 6NH, hence the fault code. Changing HU_NBT > MICROPHONE_NUMBER back to "wert_01" after VO coding HU_NBT should solve the issue.

So after reading all that, I have no clue what 6NH to 6NS mean. It seems to be something with the Bluetooth, which I have.

What is your taught on the that error code, and how to fix it ?
Appreciate 0