2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Drivetrain Malfunction - Car Fails To Start

12-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #1
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Drivetrain Malfunction - Car Fails To Start

Does anyone know what this usually means or are there too many possibilities?

My car started fine at the office this afternoon, drove 5 minutes to stop number one and was there for 10 minutes, started it again drove it 4 minutes to stop #2 and was there for 5 minutes and got back into the car. After that car turned over rapidly but wouldn't start. Display said "Drivetrain Malfunction - set handbrake and call BMW assist". I also notice the "Next Service" said 240 Km's (as opposed to 23,000 Km's). Called BMW assist for a flatbed. The wait was 3 hours because we are in the middle of a cold snap ; -30C (-22F).

When I went back to meet the flatbed, I tried the car and it started immediately twice in a row. I had the car flat bedded anyway, hoping there is a code to explain the fault.

I know stuff can go wrong, but this is a bit inconvenient, hoping it can be resolved quickly.

Anyone have a similar experience?
      12-12-2013, 08:14 PM   #2
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Power Control Module (PMU). It seems some of the cars have a defective module. When I explained the symptoms to the service manager yesterday he agreed the car should be flat bedded to the dealership even though it was starting again. This afternoon he called to tell me it was the PMU. He had suspected this was the defective part yesterday and had the part flown in overnight. Replaced it this afternoon and the car was ready by 5:00pm.

Low battery light is on now so I've plugged in the factory installed trickle charger for overnight.