2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Import car from California to Dublin, IE

04-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
rsimhamb
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan

Import car from California to Dublin, IE

Hello,

I have a well appointed 2011 550i that I picked up in June last year. I landed an excellent opportunity in Dublin (Ireland) and am moving sometime in June/July.

I absolutely love my car and want to import it into Ireland for two fundamental reasons:

- the same spec car is unavailable there, and what is available is very expensive

- I do not want to lose out on the money that I have already invested in acquiring the car

My company will handle the import costs etc.

I would greatly appreciate it if any UK/IE board members can provide some guidance on what I should prepare for should I go down the importing route.

Thanks!

Ravi
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
Tuesday
Frequent Flyer
Rep
Drives: 535LCI

My brother just moved to Ireland with his wife. The primary issue you will most likely encounter is that your steering wheel is on the wrong side. Not sure if that factors into the import eligibility checklist on the IE side, but it will definitely serve as a disadvantage when driving around town (especially Dublin).
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #3
c-hri-s
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 535d M Sport

... and to follow up on the above, it means when you enter a car park the barrier where you collect your ticket is on the passenger side. If you don't have a passenger it's a huge screw-around while you either climb over the centre console, park close enough to register the vehicle, but not so close that you can't squeeze around the car ... etc.

Your insurance premiums will also likely be significantly higher than a RHD model. And getting parts (where different) will be a nightmare for the dealer.

Plus you can't see around corners properly. And overtaking is a nightmare as you have to almost completely pull out to see what's coming.

Personally I'd look to sell the car, and have the company invest the money they would have in shipping in giving you an allowance for a new vehicle.
2012 F10 535d M Sport, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Piano Black Trim, 19" 351M, Sport Automatic Transmission, Reversing Assist Camera, Powered Boot Lid, Soft Close Doors, Folding/dimming mirrors, Elec. fr seats, Surround View, Heads-up display, BMW Business Speakers, M rear spoiler, Sun protection glass, Visibility pack, Media Package Pro
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #4
rsimhamb
Rep

Both replies make complete sense - thanks guys. I'll go back to the company and see if they'll absorb my loss from the sale of the car in the US. If they do, then the only other issue is finding the right spec car.

I currently have the following options:

1. M Sport package
2. HUD
3. Lane departure warning
4. Paddle shifters
5. F/R PDC with top/side view cameras
6. Driver assistance package (may alread be covered in the above items)
7. Soft close doors
8. Power tailgate
9. Electric front seats with memory

I can do without #3. What about the other packages? Are these easily available in Ireland, or will I most likely have to go the ordering route?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
c-hri-s
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 535d M Sport

Take a look here: http://www.bmw.ie/ie/en/usedvehicles/2010/overview.html
2012 F10 535d M Sport, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Piano Black Trim, 19" 351M, Sport Automatic Transmission, Reversing Assist Camera, Powered Boot Lid, Soft Close Doors, Folding/dimming mirrors, Elec. fr seats, Surround View, Heads-up display, BMW Business Speakers, M rear spoiler, Sun protection glass, Visibility pack, Media Package Pro
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #6
A900ss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 520d Touring

And don't forget that fuel is significantly more expensive this side of the pond.....

Very few 550’s over here. If you want a performance 5er, the 535d is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 02:28 PM   #7
Artc
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsimhamb View Post
Hello,

I have a well appointed 2011 550i that I picked up in June last year. I landed an excellent opportunity in Dublin (Ireland) and am moving sometime in June/July.

I absolutely love my car and want to import it into Ireland for two fundamental reasons:

- the same spec car is unavailable there, and what is available is very expensive

- I do not want to lose out on the money that I have already invested in acquiring the car

My company will handle the import costs etc.

I would greatly appreciate it if any UK/IE board members can provide some guidance on what I should prepare for should I go down the importing route.

Thanks!

Ravi
As all the previous posts have said, owning an LHD car here in an urban / city location will be a pain in the ass.

If you are intent on importing, so long as you have owned the car for 6 months before importation, and don't sell it for 6 months after importation, you will have a significantly reduced import duty (close to zero).

Based on the price of fuel here, 99% of 5ers are 520D's....... I have seen ONE 550i since th F10 was introduced, and that was a diplomatic car :-)

Performance over here = a 530D or 535D.

All the options you mentioned are available here but you will likely have to order new and that will cost $$$$$$.

If I was you, I would get here, settle in with a rental car and look to www.bmw.co.uk for used cars, and import a slightly used model with the spec I wanted - significant savings to me made and far more choice.
      04-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #8
rsimhamb
Rep

Thanks Guys.

I guess this settles it then. A 520/535d to be picked up locally.

Artc - I had not even considered importing from the UK! That's a great idea. Any guesstimate on the % savings i should see? I'm not hung up on a new Vs. used car as long as the used car is certified.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 01:52 AM   #9
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Quote:
Thanks Guys.

Artc - I had not even considered importing from the UK! That's a great idea. Any guesstimate on the % savings i should see? I'm not hung up on a new Vs. used car as long as the used car is certified.
one good option, we faced the same issue when moving to Ireland from the UK, I was surprised to see the tax VRT applies also for non-Irish citizen when moving to Ireland, the only way to avoid it if you can prove you owned the car for longer than 6 months, they even check utility bills to prove the 6 months away from Ireland. this VRT a big pain in the back side you pay the price of 530 for 520d.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #10
Artc
Enlisted Member
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 45e

Quote:
Thanks Guys.

Pick a sample used BMW from either bmw.co.uk or autocar.co.uk then go to http://www.revenue.ie/en/online/vrt-calculator.html and input vehicle details to calculate the import duty.
Foreign exchange rates from Sterling Euro are available online.

Then compare to an equivalent car on bmw.ie or carzone.ie and you will see the saving.
      05-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #11
rsimhamb
Rep

Thanns Martin and Artc!
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #12
chongyblue
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artc View Post
Pick a sample used BMW from either bmw.co.uk or autocar.co.uk then go to http://www.revenue.ie/en/online/vrt-calculator.html and input vehicle details to calculate the import duty.
Foreign exchange rates from Sterling Euro are available online.

Then compare to an equivalent car on bmw.ie or carzone.ie and you will see the saving.
The Other thing you should also look at if you do import is the tax rate for the Car. If the car was registered in 2008 or later the cars year tax rates are based on emissions. The 550i has a combined CO2 /KM or 242 which equates to €2258 just in road tax or nearly $3000, just to put the car on the road each year. Then you have heavy fuel costs. Be prepared to pay to run a 550i here it is very expensive.

American Gallon is 3.79 litres and current fuel price is about €1.65 per litre so for in effect American Gallon price it would cost you $8.50/G.

Thus the reason most cars here are diesel, two litres and under.

I have a 2011 520D running 245/45 R18 and your tires are probably bigger. I replaced the tires recently at a cost of $1972. If you were looking at wider 550i alloys it would be more.

I am not trying to discourage you, but you do need to know the real world costs or running a large block car in the Irish Republic.

Last edited by chongyblue; 05-04-2012 at 05:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #13
rsimhamb
Rep

Hi Chongyblue,

Thanks for the tips - invaluable! I have made up my mind to let go off the 550 in the US and pickup a new/used 520D (or higher) M-Sport. Now I just have to hunt for the right spec.

Regards,

Ravi
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 10:43 AM   #14
chongyblue
Rep
Drives: F10

Hi

Well I am on my second F10, I had a 2010 520D and changed it again last year due to problems. A few of my friends recently bought F10 new and second hand. For cash only deals there are quite a lot of good deals here, but you have to work them hard.

My recommendation is to go to at least three dealers with the same spec requirements. They usually budge somewhat.

The pricing will shock you coming from the US: A list price on a 550i base model is $62K in the US. Here for example, if I take my 520D which has a few options: metalic, sports seats, sun roof, ambient light, sport steering wheel and IPod integration, it cost me ~€48K which is $63K. So don't expect savings and the car to be loaded with a lot of options ala 550i. The govenment here taxes cars heavily using the standard sales tax (VAT) and a special Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) which causes a large difference between even the UK and IRL prices. If do you buy in the UK and import you would still have to pay VRT on the car if you have not owned it for six months. They tax it at the value the car has in Ireland not the UK. So you need to be careful with these things. The 535D which are sweet, but run used at up to €66K or $86K for a year old car with 10K Miles on the clock check out:

http://www.ooyyo.ie/used-bmw-5+Serie...171495073.html

A couple of things my friends have told me with their experiences, that due to the state of the secondary roads here I wouldn't advise going over 18" alloys. There are a signifiant amount of pot holes that can easily damage rims/tyres. The dealers can and do try to upsell the BMW tire insurance, I have had to replace two tires due to punctures (flats) in 2 years so that would have paid the cost of the cover. I would take it if offered again.

One of my friends has 19" M sport alloys on his and they are very prone to damage. So if you are planning on travelling outside the main citys or the motorway network, it pains me to saying but you may be better off considering staying with the standard 17" wheel. For me I don't like the look of the car with smaller shoes so it is worth the extra risk and cost.

One other thing to consider if you plan of staying a while and have kids you might want to option the extended (Quad zone) heating for the rear of the car. We had a number of weeks of snow last year and if you are doing the school run and the car is cold. With the standard heating (dual zone) option you get hot air through the vents in the front and ice cold in the back when starting up. This can cause you some headache via complaining children.

Best of luck

Last edited by chongyblue; 05-04-2012 at 05:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #15
rsimhamb
Rep

I like the 535d in the link you listed. I prefer 19" wheels and will pickup the insurance. I did the same thing with my 550 in the San Francisco bay are as the roads here are terrible.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #16
F11-Diesel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F11 530 D

Quote:
Originally Posted by itschase View Post
My brother just moved to Ireland with his wife. The primary issue you will most likely encounter is that your steering wheel is on the wrong side. Not sure if that factors into the import eligibility checklist on the IE side, but it will definitely serve as a disadvantage when driving around town (especially Dublin).
I am sorry to disagree, the steering wheel is not the problem.
Driving on the wrong side of the road is.

Hhmmm, both will be difficult to change, as is the elevated price of the fuel in IE, there will not be many eight cylindre F10's on the green isle.
So taking your USA car overthere will be noticed!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #17
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by F11-Diesel View Post

Hhmmm, both will be difficult to change, as is the elevated price of the fuel in IE, there will not be many eight cylindre F10's on the green isle.
I tried this when in the UK, it is simply a pain in the backside, more of an issue in Ireland because the amount of 2 way roads rather than dual carriage and high ways, your vision is definitely affected when trying to overtake. mind you for Dublin I don't see it as a big issue, but I believe the decision will be down to cost, 550i VRT is mind blowing, when I had to pay Euros 58K for my 520d M sport with couple of options, If the 550i on arrival to Ireland was owned for longer than 6 month, then VRT is not applicable, hence a possible cheaper option to move the 550i to Ireland considering the cost of having a new or second hand one and a 520 rather than 550i, but again you need to work out the gas prices too, and the annual road tax, it will be a high one for the 550i.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #18
Tuesday
Frequent Flyer
Rep
Drives: 535LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by F11-Diesel View Post

That's exactly what I was referring to. Kind of a pointless reply.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #19
karmakal
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: G30 530D (iX50 on order)

Dear rsimhamb,

Good thing is you'll get to experience a diesel engine not available in the US.
I understand 535d engine is absolutely superb.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #20
Ellmat
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 3.0D MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakal View Post
Dear rsimhamb,

Good thing is you'll get to experience a diesel engine not available in the US.
I understand 535d engine is absolutely superb.

I have just taken delivery of a new 535D MSport, having owned numerous other BMW`s, this engine is truly fantastic, the power (313bhp) is awesome and decent fuel consumption at the same time...happy days !!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #21
rsimhamb
Rep

Thanks guys! I have just sent an inquiry to Joe Duffy Motors for a 520d and 535D. I'll post the information when I receive it.

Thanks again for all your valuable inputs. I really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #22
reaper1
Rep
Drives: 535i F10 M Package

When I was across the pond your car HAD to have amber turn signal lights and a rear fog light.
2012 535i M-sport: Alpine White/AnthraciteTrim, Black Nappa Leather, Cold Weather, Luxury Seat, Premium Pkg, Premium Sound, Technology Pkg, ARS, 6 MT, HUD, Active Steering, 270 Cameras. 75% Llumar outside-100% Llumar inside.
Appreciate 0