2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Price Estimates of 2011 5 Series

11-23-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
nyte3k
Software Nerd
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Price Estimates of 2011 5 Series

Just wondering how much higher (or lower hehe) the new 5 Series will be compared to the current model?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 10:15 PM   #2
335Turbo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyte3k View Post
Just wondering how much higher (or lower hehe) the new 5 Series will be compared to the current model?

I'm guessing the first 6 months will be MSRP +.
6 months to a year, MSRP.
1 year +, before any deals are to be had.

I would think current pricing + $2,500?? Just a guess.

I'm wanting a 535xi or a 550xi. I haven't seen anything on a 550xi, but I have my fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
bsavic
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: (sold) e90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335Turbo View Post
I would think current pricing + $2,500?? Just a guess.
That would be beyond sweet

Savicbo
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 11:42 PM   #4
Alchem
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335xi

I hope they keep 550i prices same as current one!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 06:38 PM   #5
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

It weighs more - it will cost more.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #6
lagunadallas
Rep
Drives: '07 X5 4.8i Sport

Although most of us think it's the superior product, BMW's pricing is pretty steep compared to a lot of reasonably good competition. Most buyers aren't as picky about their cars as those of us on these online boards. Mercedes recently released the new E-Class and actually *dropped* prices by almost $5000! I don't think BMW can get away with an increase of more than a couple thousand dollars on the bread-and-butter models (528i & 535i for the U.S.), if even that. I'm happy to pay full sticker for a model that has just hit the shore, but over the years have chosen to support the dealers that don't put the big mark-up over MSRP on new models. Anyone willing to pay over sticker for a new 5-Series ought to find a dealer that is only charging MSRP and donate the extra money to charity.

Past BMWs: '07 335i Cabrio, '04 330i Cabrio, '03 540i 6-speed, '01 530i, '01 X5 3.0i, '00 328Ci, '87 325
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
bdardashti
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 135i

I don't think BMW is going to increase the price much, if at all. I was comparing prices for the now old (E60) 5 and new E on the maker's canadian websites, and here's what I found:

Before the new E came out, Mercedes used to target E300 to 528i, E350 to 535i, and E550 to 550i. I'm not saying the power was the same, I'm just saying that's what the pricing reflected.

With the new model, they've dropped the E300 (for now at least), and the E350 compares to the 528i (+/- $2000 or so). The E550 is MUCH cheaper than the 550i.

With that in mind, I think BMW cannot increase the prices.

Also, as much as we all think the 5 is in the same league as the E (or vice versa), I really think they are two COMPLETELY separate cars that just happen to be the same size and similar price. My dad bought an E last year, and although I personally still don't like the car at all, it's a really nice car for its target population, which I think is different than that of the 5. The E is a comfortable luxury cruiser, where as the 5 is a (semi-big, semi-luxury, sports sedan -- in my opinion). I agree it's not a sports car, but for its size, its sporty.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 04:39 AM   #8
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

in this economy same dam price
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 08:38 AM   #9
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdardashti View Post
I don't think BMW is going to increase the price much, if at all. I was comparing prices for the now old (E60) 5 and new E on the maker's canadian websites, and here's what I found:

Before the new E came out, Mercedes used to target E300 to 528i, E350 to 535i, and E550 to 550i. I'm not saying the power was the same, I'm just saying that's what the pricing reflected.

With the new model, they've dropped the E300 (for now at least), and the E350 compares to the 528i (+/- $2000 or so). The E550 is MUCH cheaper than the 550i.

With that in mind, I think BMW cannot increase the prices.

Also, as much as we all think the 5 is in the same league as the E (or vice versa), I really think they are two COMPLETELY separate cars that just happen to be the same size and similar price. My dad bought an E last year, and although I personally still don't like the car at all, it's a really nice car for its target population, which I think is different than that of the 5. The E is a comfortable luxury cruiser, where as the 5 is a (semi-big, semi-luxury, sports sedan -- in my opinion). I agree it's not a sports car, but for its size, its sporty.
Nevertheless, the 5 and the E have always been considered competition for each other by BMW and Mercedes. That is the most important point as BMW will need to follow suit in terms of pricing.

By the way, the new E-class in Canada did drop effectively by $12,000 to $13,000 compared to the previous models. This should bode very well for us Canadians who are interested in the new 5-series (like me!).

I am hoping that my expectations for the Canadian price are correct as I have my E90 now and have a new little one on the way here!
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
maharadjah
Latvia
Rep
Drives: E39 523i

interior materials are much better than e60, there no more huge amount of plastic and plastic panels are history.. plus big amount of new electronic stuff in base and absolutely new suspension - expect at least +5K USD price.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 09:48 AM   #11
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by maharadjah View Post
interior materials are much better than e60, there no more huge amount of plastic and plastic panels are history.. plus big amount of new electronic stuff in base and absolutely new suspension - expect at least +5K USD price.
Not if they want to sell any of them in the U.S. economy.

I agree with bobbyd1961, I think they will pretty much hold the line on the price and considering Merc's move I wouldn't be surprised to see a little price reduction. That would certainly get the attention of buyers who are on the fence between the two cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 01:47 PM   #12
sois
MasterDebater
Canada
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e90 M3, '11 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagunadallas View Post
Although most of us think it's the superior product, BMW's pricing is pretty steep compared to a lot of reasonably good competition. Most buyers aren't as picky about their cars as those of us on these online boards. Mercedes recently released the new E-Class and actually *dropped* prices by almost $5000! I don't think BMW can get away with an increase of more than a couple thousand dollars on the bread-and-butter models (528i & 535i for the U.S.), if even that. I'm happy to pay full sticker for a model that has just hit the shore, but over the years have chosen to support the dealers that don't put the big mark-up over MSRP on new models. Anyone willing to pay over sticker for a new 5-Series ought to find a dealer that is only charging MSRP and donate the extra money to charity.
I'll have to agree. It is such a waste in so many ways when people are so darn impatient they are willing to get hosed to be the first one to drive a new model. Is their ego that fragile? Are they that loaded that they just don't care? Combination of the two? Likely the former combined with a denial of the inexistence of the latter.

Either way, a lot more would be accomplished to do something similar to this: ask the dealership what they want when the first F10 shows up, laugh at them and finger them on the way out (I did this when the recent M3 came out, by the way). Needless to say, with the M3, less than 6 months down the road they were blowing them out at near cost. The guy that looked at me all cocky and shocked when I had previously flipped him the bird was all over me to take my offer from that day. Too late, I'm waiting for the F10. I will apply the same procedure as with the M3 next spring.

I encourage all of you to do the same. Take a deep breath and resist that adolescent need for instant gratification. Give that extra cash to charity or put it on your mortgage (or perhaps get one) or credit card bill (I'm sure this would help with most).

A little tidbit:
Compared to the general population, excessive buyers have consistently been shown to possess lower self-esteem (e.g., Roberts 1998; Faber 2004). This finding is also consistent with the prediction based on the theory of self-defeating behavior. Impairment in self-esteem is generally accompanied by negative affect, such as anxiety and depression (Baumeister 1997). People are faced with two choices- either to accept the bad evaluation of themselves or to endure the negative feelings induced by decreases in selfesteem. Usually, people would be reluctant to revise their self-appraisal and would choose to linger with the negative feelings induced by decrease in self-esteem.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 01:57 PM   #13
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sois View Post
I'll have to agree. It is such a waste in so many ways when people are so darn impatient they are willing to get hosed to be the first one to drive a new model. Is their ego that fragile? Are they that loaded that they just don't care? Combination of the two? Likely the former combined with a denial of the inexistence of the latter.

Either way, a lot more would be accomplished to do something similar to this: ask the dealership what they want when the first F10 shows up, laugh at them and finger them on the way out (I did this when the recent M3 came out, by the way). Needless to say, with the M3, less than 6 months down the road they were blowing them out at near cost. The guy that looked at me all cocky and shocked when I had previously flipped him the bird was all over me to take my offer from that day. Too late, I'm waiting for the F10. I will apply the same procedure as with the M3 next spring.

I encourage all of you to do the same. Take a deep breath and resist that adolescent need for instant gratification. Give that extra cash to charity or put it on your mortgage (or perhaps get one) or credit card bill (I'm sure this would help with most).

A little tidbit:
Compared to the general population, excessive buyers have consistently been shown to possess lower self-esteem (e.g., Roberts 1998; Faber 2004). This finding is also consistent with the prediction based on the theory of self-defeating behavior. Impairment in self-esteem is generally accompanied by negative affect, such as anxiety and depression (Baumeister 1997). People are faced with two choices- either to accept the bad evaluation of themselves or to endure the negative feelings induced by decreases in selfesteem. Usually, people would be reluctant to revise their self-appraisal and would choose to linger with the negative feelings induced by decrease in self-esteem.
Agreed.

By the way, yea! Another Albertan.

I like the F10 from what I have seen and it seems like it would fit what I will need in my life given the changes on the way and my own desires. I anticipate that the earliest I will actually close a deal on one would be in Q4 2010 or so. Don't know if I will flip the guys at the dealership the bird since I know them, but will probably laugh off whatever exhorbidant price they have in mind for the first arrivals. My 323i is more than good enough in the mean time any way.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #14
lagunadallas
Rep
Drives: '07 X5 4.8i Sport

Quote:
I also like to give a new model a year or two to get the kinks worked out. But I'll take my chances with the F10 and pay sticker since my X5 lease is up in July, so timing-wise it'll just be easy to roll right into the 5.

Past BMWs: '07 335i Cabrio, '04 330i Cabrio, '03 540i 6-speed, '01 530i, '01 X5 3.0i, '00 328Ci, '87 325
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 01:16 AM   #15
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Edmunds estimated $46,500 for base price. It's probably referring to F10 528i price, not the 4.8L 8cyl place holder from previous gen 5er from this link:
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2011/bmw/...18/prices.html

People would expect price to remain the same as current model or slightly lower in current global economy.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 01:54 AM   #16
maharadjah
Latvia
Rep
Drives: E39 523i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Not if they want to sell any of them in the U.S. economy.

I agree with bobbyd1961, I think they will pretty much hold the line on the price and considering Merc's move I wouldn't be surprised to see a little price reduction. That would certainly get the attention of buyers who are on the fence between the two cars.
Maybe, but i am simply sure that in EU market there will be same story as with new 7-er F01 that become almost 10 k EUR more expensive than E65.
You americans are lucky ones
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 02:21 AM   #17
sois
MasterDebater
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
Agreed.

By the way, yea! Another Albertan.

I like the F10 from what I have seen and it seems like it would fit what I will need in my life given the changes on the way and my own desires. I anticipate that the earliest I will actually close a deal on one would be in Q4 2010 or so. Don't know if I will flip the guys at the dealership the bird since I know them, but will probably laugh off whatever exhorbidant price they have in mind for the first arrivals. My 323i is more than good enough in the mean time any way.
Hey, nice to meet a fellow Albertan . I know most of the guys (and gals) at that dealership as well, so they took it in stride; they know what I am like when it gets down to discussing $. It was nothing personal, I just expressed my unwillingness to entertain the price but with a smirk and no hard feelings. One of those ‘had to be there, have to know me’ moments.

My timeline to close an F10 is similar to yours, providing the pricing is fair and everything checks out. I too think the F10 would be a great fit. I love my 335i but I am 6'4" with disproportionately long legs and I just feel more comfy in the 5. The E60 felt great but I really did not like the styling at all, plus the N54 engine was not available at that time and I did not want to make the jump to a 550 (may as well just go with the M, IMO). I feel about the F10 almost as good as I felt when the 335i was introduced, just different. With the 335i the excitement for me was that BMW finally stuck some power in a 3 series without me having to pony up for an M and then put up with getting my guts banged around. With the F10 535 it is more of a holistic feeling; power, beauty, fit, comfort, not too much, not too little. I do not need an M badge, I just want a smile on my face and that little happy fuzzy feeling I'm sure we all continue to get in our gut when walking toward our B.

Anyway, I digress. If you know anyone in AB that would be interested in a meticulously cared for 2007 (August 2008 build - any early kinks were worked out by then) 335i toward the mid to end of 2010 let me know :-). Always slept inside a heated garage, no dings, no smoke, 6spd sedan, sport package, Sparkling Graphite, comfort access, bluetooth/ipod USB, nav, high perf winters on perfect alloy rims, etc.

Cheers! Let's hope for $3K less than last years 5, just because I'm a wishful thinker.

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 08:41 AM   #18
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hey, nice to meet a fellow Albertan . I know most of the guys (and gals) at that dealership as well, so they took it in stride; they know what I am like when it gets down to discussing $. It was nothing personal, I just expressed my unwillingness to entertain the price but with a smirk and no hard feelings. One of those ‘had to be there, have to know me’ moments.

My timeline to close an F10 is similar to yours, providing the pricing is fair and everything checks out. I too think the F10 would be a great fit. I love my 335i but I am 6'4" with disproportionately long legs and I just feel more comfy in the 5. The E60 felt great but I really did not like the styling at all, plus the N54 engine was not available at that time and I did not want to make the jump to a 550 (may as well just go with the M, IMO). I feel about the F10 almost as good as I felt when the 335i was introduced, just different. With the 335i the excitement for me was that BMW finally stuck some power in a 3 series without me having to pony up for an M and then put up with getting my guts banged around. With the F10 535 it is more of a holistic feeling; power, beauty, fit, comfort, not too much, not too little. I do not need an M badge, I just want a smile on my face and that little happy fuzzy feeling I'm sure we all continue to get in our gut when walking toward our B.

Anyway, I digress. If you know anyone in AB that would be interested in a meticulously cared for 2007 (August 2008 build - any early kinks were worked out by then) 335i toward the mid to end of 2010 let me know :-). Always slept inside a heated garage, no dings, no smoke, 6spd sedan, sport package, Sparkling Graphite, comfort access, bluetooth/ipod USB, nav, high perf winters on perfect alloy rims, etc.

Cheers! Let's hope for $3K less than last years 5, just because I'm a wishful thinker.

On the first point, totally understood! Its good to have a relationship with the dealer (its what kept me from buying stateside despite temptation).

Agreed... I love my E90 also, and believe it or not, am also 6'4. It is overall pretty comfortable but I find that I struggle to get the perfect driving position without having some other downside, eg. people can't sit behind me, seat pad tilted all the way up so working clutch and throttle on hills can be a bit awkward and no upper back/shoulder support... alternatively, get rid of all other problems but have no mid-back support. I'm sure you know what I am talking about. Plus I have the sport suspension on my car and it can be stiff at times.

My old man has an E60 with comfort seats and it seems like it is a much better fit. I think the F10 will be even more so because it is a little more driver/sport focused, I think. I really seems like the Goldylocks solution... total balance.

I'll have to go over to the dealer when the get a 5GT and rattle their cage a bit. Should be good times!

I think that I will be lucky because I have a good buddy who is dying to take my very well maintained 323i off my hands
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 01:20 PM   #19
totoro
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

UK pricing
http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/index/?se...5&bodyID=LI10#
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 02:10 PM   #20
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoro View Post
how does that compare to E60 pricing?

By the way, I am jealous that the 525d and 530d are available over there!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 02:58 PM   #21
sois
MasterDebater
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
On the first point, totally understood! Its good to have a relationship with the dealer (its what kept me from buying stateside despite temptation).

Agreed... I love my E90 also, and believe it or not, am also 6'4. It is overall pretty comfortable but I find that I struggle to get the perfect driving position without having some other downside, eg. people can't sit behind me, seat pad tilted all the way up so working clutch and throttle on hills can be a bit awkward and no upper back/shoulder support... alternatively, get rid of all other problems but have no mid-back support. I'm sure you know what I am talking about. Plus I have the sport suspension on my car and it can be stiff at times.

My old man has an E60 with comfort seats and it seems like it is a much better fit. I think the F10 will be even more so because it is a little more driver/sport focused, I think. I really seems like the Goldylocks solution... total balance.

I'll have to go over to the dealer when the get a 5GT and rattle their cage a bit. Should be good times!

I think that I will be lucky because I have a good buddy who is dying to take my very well maintained 323i off my hands
You summed it up just right regarding us tall guys trying to find a perfect driving position in a sport e90. If I crank the front of the seat up and pull out the support thing, roll back the seat and telescope the steering wheel all the way out, I'm comfy and feel supported but my lower back is flat and I feel like I should be reaching for the remote control rather than the shifter, and possibly having a nap shortly therafter. Needless to say it is neither a safe nor effective driving position. If I put myself in a good position for driving control I set myself up for sciatic pain, which I have never had before. I'm quite fit and flexible, so that is not a factor. With the 335 you really have to keep your foot light on the excellerator, combined with my position, creates a real PITA - literally!

I've driven a couple e90s with the lumbar support/premium package rather than the sport package and seemed to help to keep the back in alignment; keeping me more pain free. The upper body (shoulder) support is another story and is likely one that will be hard to fix. I have really broad shoulders and constantly feel like I am being pushed forward in the wrong areas around my shoulder blades and neck.

Anyway, as I said, the 5 seems to fit in many ways. I'm really hoping it will live up to my dream :-) I'll have to do my due dilligence and check out the merc, audi, infiniti, etc... although I'll admit it would take a lot to get me to be sans BMW.

Nice that you have someone lined up for your 323! I can't wait until the spring to have a good look at the new beast.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #22
sois
MasterDebater
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoro View Post
I'm encouraged by the relatively low differential between the 528i (32.2K) and the 535i (36.2K) shown in that UK price comparision: 4K (~12%) compared to ~17% here in Canada. That would shave about $3K off the base price if it holds here. Not sure what the differential is on the current UK models. If it is around 17% that would give some indication of a change in our favor :-)
Appreciate 0