2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Difference between Adaptive Drive and Variable Damper

04-24-2016, 10:07 AM   #1
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Difference between Adaptive Drive and Variable Damper

Hi,

Anyone confirm the above and which is better for handling - considering moving up from an M-Sport F30 (non-Adaptive) and don't want the 'barge' feeling from the 5.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
silo24
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahajesh View Post
Hi,

Anyone confirm the above and which is better for handling - considering moving up from an M-Sport F30 (non-Adaptive) and don't want the 'barge' feeling from the 5.
Adaptive Drive better as it includes active anti roll bars as well as dampers. It also varies the power steering assistance to match real time driving.

VDC (dampers only)will help with the 'barge' feeling, whereas Adaptive Drive pretty much eliminates it I believe.
      04-24-2016, 03:56 PM   #3
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks silo, explains the big cost difference!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 04:42 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Hi,

As said, it is the ARS part of Adaptive Drive which transforms the handling dynamics. ARS used to be known as Dynamic Drive when a stand alone option on cars like the E60. Definitely helps to shrink the car and gives an agility which at first feels uncanny, but once used to it you realise how beneficial it is.

Drive moderately and the chassis balance is neutral, which makes the chassis feel lighter in itself. When you press on, the ARS tunes to a slight under steer, inspires even more confidence, much more than you get with the 5-series without the option. The way the car so large and heavy as the 5-series can drive so flat with minimal roll, is outstanding.

I've got AD in my F11, certainly allows me to hustle the car through the bends in a way that many smaller cars cannot better.

Adaptive Drive, the combination of VDC, (3 base settings) and ARS with its 2 base settings (firmer roll control in Sport and Sport+) gives flexibility to how you choose to drive.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2016, 03:09 PM   #5
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:
Hi,

As said, it is the ARS part of Adaptive Drive which transforms the handling dynamics. ARS used to be known as Dynamic Drive when a stand alone option on cars like the E60. Definitely helps to shrink the car and gives an agility which at first feels uncanny, but once used to it you realise how beneficial it is.

Drive moderately and the chassis balance is neutral, which makes the chassis feel lighter in itself. When you press on, the ARS tunes to a slight under steer, inspires even more confidence, much more than you get with the 5-series without the option. The way the car so large and heavy as the 5-series can drive so flat with minimal roll, is outstanding.

I've got AD in my F11, certainly allows me to hustle the car through the bends in a way that many smaller cars cannot better.

Adaptive Drive, the combination of VDC, (3 base settings) and ARS with its 2 base settings (firmer roll control in Sport and Sport+) gives flexibility to how you choose to drive.
Thanks Pete! I presume the Adaptive doesn't need setting to make it work, the tweaks are there to suit a given driving style for that time?

I'd hope so, given it's Adaptive.

Now I need to work out if the F10 will be replaced by G30 when I come to order (Oct/Nov) - if so then will look at options then but no doubt adaptive will be carried forward in some way.

Cheers again.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 03:38 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Thanks Pete! I presume the Adaptive doesn't need setting to make it work, the tweaks are there to suit a given driving style for that time?

I'd hope so, given it's Adaptive.
The only switching we have as a driver, is the modes. Selecting Sport and Sport+ automatically puts the ARS in Sport mode. Essentially a stiffer roll control on demand.

Yes it is adaptive, so on the straight the roll bar 'halves' virtually disconnect to improve the ride quality and reduce single wheel bumps across the body. Sensors within the VDM (Vertical Dynamics Management) pick up the requirement to stiffen the roll control, such as steering wheel movement/angle, lateral acceleration and road speed.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2016, 01:08 PM   #7
535i MSport
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63S T

Quote:
Hi,

I went through the same process when I changed from my E60 525d and got my first F10 3 years ago. After driving a 640d with AD and F10s with standard M Sport suspension, I went for AD on my 530d. When I changed jobs and lost the 530d company car, I ordered a 535i with AD amongst various other options.

Needless to say, I am an AD convert and my view is that an AD equipped vehicle handles better than one equipped with the M Sport suspension. The lack of body role is great! I can't comment on a VDC only vehicle, as I couldn't get one to try.

2017 C63S T 510PS
Appreciate 1