2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 520d problem - 'jerky' transmission?

08-28-2011, 01:46 PM   #89
Crocket
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 520D Sport

Reading this topic with great interest, does anybody have the version number of the Software/Patch update which fixes this jerky behaviour.

Thanks in advance.

Crocket
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #90
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 530e XDrive

Well, my car locked down into one gear on the M3 yesterday - I drove 100 miles in limp mode - when I got home, turned it off and on again and it went back to normal.

Headed off today, and it happened again - very violent jerk around 2k rpm while accelerating and then limp mode again.

Car is being towed to a dealer tomorrow for investigation.

Am I the only one so far who has had this happen?
      08-29-2011, 03:23 AM   #91
sunnyUK
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

It will be a shame if BMW don't update all cars as they go in for service and you have to fight for it!. On a slightly diffrerent note - there seems to be far too many upgrades mods on 5 Series for my liking.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 04:06 AM   #92
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyUK View Post
It will be a shame if BMW don't update all cars as they go in for service and you have to fight for it!. On a slightly diffrerent note - there seems to be far too many upgrades mods on 5 Series for my liking.
Concerns me as well, not a fully developed car and how many will actually be sorted before they run their full life cycle. I can envisage many of them in the used sector, still showing the niggling issues.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 11:59 AM   #93
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep

Have to say, I'm distinctly unimpressed by the BMW experience so far.

Had to cancel two meetings today due to the hire car not arriving till the afternoon, and its an Insignia, which I have no problem with, but it doesn't have Bluetooth, which I do have a problem with due to being unable to take calls on the move. Customer services says their only responsibility is to get me mobile, and the service stops there.

Customer service says its all a matter for the dealer and me, the nearest dealer didn't sell me the car and are unwilling or unable to give me feed back after having had the car for a full day, the supplying dealer can't do anything until the repairing dealer tells them what the investigation uncovers.......makes me wish I had bought an A6 instead as was the original plan. The car couldnt be taken to the supplying dealer, 100 miles away - well it could, but theres no redelivery....

I certainly won't be buying the X3 I had planned for my wife.

Based on my experience, I'd think twice if you are currently considering a 520.
      08-30-2011, 12:34 PM   #94
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep

Have been told today that my car needs a full new gearbox as called for by the diagnostics system.

However, BMW Technical have overridden the dealer and have insisted that only a new Mechatronic unit needs to be fitted.

The dealer admitted to me that they had to top up the transmission fluid yesterday and let the gearbox cool down - this would suggest premature wear and tear and possible damage to the gearbox, as verified by the diagnostic today.

Any thoughts on what approach I should take? I have insisted that if the diagnostic says a new gearbox is needed, then it should be fitted, but the dealer says their hands are tied by technical?

Customer Services have refused to comment in any manner to date, in fact, they have been most uncooperative.

This may be a potential upcoming problem for anyone and everyone with a jerky gearbox - maybe mine is the first to sustain damage to date?
      08-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #95
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Personally I think you may have to go along with Technical if they are involved. From experience (with a V8 4.4 engine failure) if they do lead a major failure, they will sort it, but you have to go along with them. It may be a two stage repair, if they have got it wrong on the gearbox itself.

I know VW also take a similar stance when major failures occur. We had an auto which had the gearbox control module replaced, ahead of the actual gearbox. Second gearbox failure, they went straight for the gearbox, as they now knew which part was the issue. Could be the same with BMW, if you are the first to have this kind of failure.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2011, 04:09 PM   #96
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Personally I think you may have to go along with Technical if they are involved. From experience (with a V8 4.4 engine failure) if they do lead a major failure, they will sort it, but you have to go along with them. It may be a two stage repair, if they have got it wrong on the gearbox itself.

I know VW also take a similar stance when major failures occur. We had an auto which had the gearbox control module replaced, ahead of the actual gearbox. Second gearbox failure, they went straight for the gearbox, as they now knew which part was the issue. Could be the same with BMW, if you are the first to have this kind of failure.

HighlandPete
Thanks Pete.

I know I can't take on the Goliath that is BMW, I'm on a loser straight away, but I can't say I'm feeling happy to be an owner right now.

Wonder has the jerk led to the failure?

Also, from reading around the net, the autos are supposed to be sealed for life. The very fact that they had to replace transmission oil, suggests to me that the limp home on Saturday night must have vapourised a lot of oil while I was in transit - that surely has to mean there was serious mechanical stress in the gearbox?

Any thoughts?

Btw, did I know you and your other half on M2.com?
      08-30-2011, 04:31 PM   #97
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
Any thoughts?

Btw, did I know you and your other half on M2.com?
No not me...

I do wonder what is going on in your gearbox, oil level does seem to indicate something isn't adding up. I believe you may end up with a new box.

I've experience of an autobox losing its oil (twice) and no evidence of where it went and how it got out. The garage couldn't believe it, as they filled it the second time, drove a few miles and it was virtually empty. That vehicle needed a new box and torque converter.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 01:04 PM   #98
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep

Do I have to give the dealer three chances to repair before I have an option to reject the car does anyone know?
      08-31-2011, 02:46 PM   #99
Z4C_luvver
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Phoenix Yellow Z4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenL View Post
Do I have to give the dealer three chances to repair before I have an option to reject the car does anyone know?
Sorry to be a pain, but I think your posts have drifted into the 'off topic' zone. Could we stick to the subject of the thread please?

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 02:59 PM   #100
AidenL
Driving !
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5er_luvver View Post
Sorry to be a pain, but I think your posts have drifted into the 'off topic' zone. Could we stick to the subject of the thread please?

Alright.

Lets hope the others suffering form jerkiness don't suffer my fate - I'm glad you consider it unrelated.
      09-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #101
22andcounting
Private
Rep
Drives: 520d Sophisto Grey/Cinnamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestraw View Post
Hi 22,
I saw previously you said how much better the sports auto you tested had felt, compared with the regular auto. Do you think these latest changes have brought the regular auto on a par? I drove a regular and sports back-to-back and found the steering very (too!) light on the regular, whereas the sports even in 'normal' mode was much better. I'm hoping to order a new 520D in a couple of days, and seeing the results of the latest software am now not sure which way to go!
Hi bluestraw with version 43 of the software mine feels much better in all departments, but I would still definable op for sport auto it's the best value option ever offered
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #102
22andcounting
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocket View Post
Reading this topic with great interest, does anybody have the version number of the Software/Patch update which fixes this jerky behaviour.

Thanks in advance.

Crocket
I believe it's release 43
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2011, 09:03 AM   #103
22andcounting
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliemingpot View Post
Hi - new to the forum and have read this thread with interest.

Does anyone know if the software update can be done from the car (ie remote software update from the idrive myself), or does this need to be done at a dealership.

Also - is this something that will be done automatically as and when services are undertaken, on the basis the issue is somewhat commonplace?

Thanks

Stephen

It's a full software upgrade from BMW in Germany - even the dealer didn't have the release (this may be different now) it takes time to do as I reloads all software. I believe it's release 43
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #104
Crocket
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 520D Sport

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22andcounting View Post
It's a full software upgrade from BMW in Germany - even the dealer didn't have the release (this may be different now) it takes time to do as I reloads all software. I believe it's release 43

Many thanks for the quick reply
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #105
Darkeeboy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5M50i

Yep, Worcester say they wont have it locally til November. Mines been updated for a few weeks now, a lot better but still get a little hesitation, now at 1500 rpm, under light load, but spose that is quite a low rev range for pulling a big car. On another note my manual gearbox gearstick keeps sliding off - anyone else suffer this?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2011, 01:26 AM   #106
ARSC
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D

When change gear from n to d or r to n can feel the engine jerking.

is anybody facing this issue or this is normal, i got a 520d auto.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 04:04 AM   #107
cjleishman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 bmw 523i (F10)

I have a 2010 523i SE which now has 28000mls. I have been having the jerky problem for the past 8 months and the car has been into BMW 4 times.
The first time it was jerky i got a 'check drivetrain' fault. As it was due for a service anyway i hope they would cure both at once. The told me it was a missfire that caused the fault but, that it was resolved. However, on the day it was due back to me I was told that there was a delay a they were waiting on injectors and coil packs coming. I asked why they need them as the car was rectified but, was told that an unusual fault code had appeared and they were being over cautious.
I was told that all coils and injectors were replaced.
A couple of months later it was jerking again, this time I was told that they hadn't replace all the injectors but, would ensure they were this time. Also, the software was updated.
This lasted a month and the jerking was back. it starts mild and then gets worse until the 'check drivetrain' fault comes on.
This time i am told that one of the injectors supplied to them by bmw was an old version and this was replaced.
Car was fine for 1 week and the jerking has started again.
It is due to go back in today so, I will see what the outcome is!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 04:27 AM   #108
Z4C_luvver
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Phoenix Yellow Z4C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSC View Post
When change gear from n to d or r to n can feel the engine jerking.

is anybody facing this issue or this is normal, i got a 520d auto.
There'a another thread here that addresses that issue. Look up 'jerk' or 'hesitate' from 0-10mph. I think that's the one.

I've contacted my dealer who acknowledges release 43 and it's usage in fixing the problem. I am due to be scheduled in as soon as it becomes available for general issue. Apparently it takes a couple of hours.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 05:13 AM   #109
itf joegun
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i; G05 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjleishman View Post
I have a 2010 523i SE which now has 28000mls. I have been having the jerky problem for the past 8 months and the car has been into BMW 4 times.
The first time it was jerky i got a 'check drivetrain' fault. As it was due for a service anyway i hope they would cure both at once. The told me it was a missfire that caused the fault but, that it was resolved. However, on the day it was due back to me I was told that there was a delay a they were waiting on injectors and coil packs coming. I asked why they need them as the car was rectified but, was told that an unusual fault code had appeared and they were being over cautious.
I was told that all coils and injectors were replaced.
A couple of months later it was jerking again, this time I was told that they hadn't replace all the injectors but, would ensure they were this time. Also, the software was updated.
This lasted a month and the jerking was back. it starts mild and then gets worse until the 'check drivetrain' fault comes on.
This time i am told that one of the injectors supplied to them by bmw was an old version and this was replaced.
Car was fine for 1 week and the jerking has started again.
It is due to go back in today so, I will see what the outcome is!!!
I do not think that this is the same problem...because there is no error message during the "jerking" which was described in this thread. The car just drives strange if it happens, but in different conditions absolutely normal.

Click signature for current and previous cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2011, 05:41 AM   #110
cjleishman
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 bmw 523i (F10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itf joegun View Post
I do not think that this is the same problem...because there is no error message during the "jerking" which was described in this thread. The car just drives strange if it happens, but in different conditions absolutely normal.

I have only had the fault come on twice in the 8 months but, the jerking comes and goes. The first fault light was at 20000mls and the jerking had been happenig before that.
Appreciate 0