2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Pure Stage 2 Turbo Install is about to go down.

03-03-2017, 09:24 AM   #89
Secret_Asian
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 lci luxury line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
Well your auto trans may have a lower torque output, but for the 535 the problem has been building horse power across the range instead of peaking early and then falling on its face. Alex has found the cure for pwg applications. So even if you could only output 340whp tapering would happen much further down the rpm range thus a feeling of constant pulling. Dyno is coming to see if the new tune worked. If so it means the PS2 on our cars with the MP flash is gonna be beast. 335 owners might be like, "ok then"
When you chat with him ask him if that applies to my car too and maybe it will fix that stutter i get at times. PWG Auto trans, and recently installed a pure s1.

Last edited by Secret_Asian; 03-03-2017 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 09:43 AM   #90
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5, E46 330i, R56 Mini.S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret_Asian View Post
When you chat with him ask him if that applies to my car too and maybe it will fix that stutter i get at times. PWG Auto trans, and recently installed a pure s1.
Stutter at WOT? Its most likely throttle closure because you're making too much torque.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 10:03 AM   #91
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Bmw doubles how many MP cars and still trying to find a clear dyno
Secret_Asian any dyno or slip ?
Any logs of these tunes? Would like to see whats the boost/hpfp/AFR/rpm like and if throttle 100% open or closing ?

AZ-MCRacer got side by side pics of your stock IC & upgraded?
I'm sure with my pictures provided on the stock IC in X3/X4 n55 if its the same as F10 N55 you guys should save a few hundred bucks by buying the CTS Turbo fmic thats currently on sale till the 10th and either having @AIMPerformanceNJ

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 1
      03-03-2017, 10:07 AM   #92
Secret_Asian
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
Stutter at WOT? Its most likely throttle closure because you're making too much torque.
even at half throttle and not always I could be fine for weeks at a time and for the first time ever about 3 weeks ago i had it while coasting around 30mph. I want to flash back to stock drive for a week or two and see if it goes away. Would be nice if we had some tool to log with so we can review, I'm tempted to buy a jb4 just for logging again since it makes it so easy. Watching an ISTA or INPA screen while driving is a pain
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #93
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Well your auto trans may have a lower torque output, but for the 535 the problem has been building horse power across the range instead of peaking early and then falling on its face. Alex has found the cure for pwg applications. So even if you could only output 340whp tapering would happen much further down the rpm range thus a feeling of constant pulling. Dyno is coming to see if the new tune worked. If so it means the PS2 on our cars with the MP flash is gonna be beast. 335 owners might be like, "ok then"
The stutter could be over boost. Might need to to be smooth out the torque request mapping down low. Ill run it by him. Just out of curiosity have you tried a e85 mixture?
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 11:00 AM   #94
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
Bmw doubles how many MP cars and still trying to find a clear dyno
Secret_Asian any dyno or slip ?
Any logs of these tunes? Would like to see whats the boost/hpfp/AFR/rpm like and if throttle 100% open or closing ?

AZ-MCRacer got side by side pics of your stock IC & upgraded?
I'm sure with my pictures provided on the stock IC in X3/X4 n55 if its the same as F10 N55 you guys should save a few hundred bucks by buying the CTS Turbo fmic thats currently on sale till the 10th and either having @AIMPerformanceNJ
What do you mean clear dyno?
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 04:48 PM   #95
AWF87M2
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW

@Secret_Asian have you tried gapping down the spark plugs like Alex suggested? No need for as low as .022" since your only stage 1, I've seen some noticeable improvements gapping down to .025"-.027" for my MP stage 1 on pump 91
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 04:56 PM   #96
AWF87M2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stück View Post
even at half throttle and not always I could be fine for weeks at a time and for the first time ever about 3 weeks ago i had it while coasting around 30mph. I want to flash back to stock drive for a week or two and see if it goes away. Would be nice if we had some tool to log with so we can review, I'm tempted to buy a jb4 just for logging again since it makes it so easy. Watching an ISTA or INPA screen while driving is a pain
Do you have the dash command app or the Torque app? If so you can do a simple data-log with obd dongle plugged in to see if the car is running lean or too rich under boost.
Appreciate 1
MMAFAN17.50
      03-03-2017, 05:11 PM   #97
Secret_Asian
Private First Class
Rep

new plugs gapped down, I used e85 in 2-3 gallons but not since winter started
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 05:22 PM   #98
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Talk to Alex about his revised flash. I'm running it now with tapped plugs, 8 gallons of e85! And the car is running really strong. He did make adjustments for my over boost.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 05:30 PM   #99
AWF87M2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Talk to Alex about his revised flash. I'm running it now with tapped plugs, 8 gallons of e85! And the car is running really strong. He did make adjustments for my over boost.
Revision for stage 1? When I messaged Alex last time back in November he told me there was only a revision for stage 2.5 with bolt ons. He also told me sport mode on the stage 1 is a 2 psi boost increase over normal mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 05:55 PM   #100
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF87M2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Revision for stage 1? When I messaged Alex last time back in November he told me there was only a revision for stage 2.5 with bolt ons. He also told me sport mode on the stage 1 is a 2 psi boost increase over normal mode.
True I do have the stage 2+, but he has a way to hold boost for much longer now which I think could be applied to stage 1. Worth a chat at least

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #101
AWF87M2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWF87M2 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
True I do have the stage 2+, but he has a way to hold boost for much longer now which I think could be applied to stage 1. Worth a chat at least
Yeah that definitely would be worth a shot! Hope alex applies the revision for those running stage 1. As much as I like the mid range stage 1 provides the power dies off like you mentioned at around 5k rpm, which tapers around 10-11psi for me. My stock M2 pulls much harder past 5k even though it is just an N55 with some S55 parts.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 03:32 PM   #102
wakeofdeath
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: X6M

All you guys with MP have ever dyno'ed?
I dont think I seen one yet except their 550
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 08:16 PM   #103
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

Bmw doubles I hope your dyno session has gone well, and you put down the numbers you were looking for.

Alex and I have been racking our brains for a bit wondering what was going on with my excessive wastegate duty cycle to hit boost requests. We've been inching it up, but again the WGDC was too high for requested boost.

I'm at 52% WGDC to see 10-12psi. Where as the norm (per collected peer data) on a Pure Stage 2 at that WGDC should be 20-24psi.

I've exhaustively tested for boost leaks, pressurized the entire system with smoke and shop air, done testing hot and cold... pretty much ran out of places to point a finger.

A few days ago I noted my waste gate felt a bit hard to articulate by hand, well... with a long hook tool as you can't reach it from the top on F10.

It occurred to me with my recent acquisition of a F25 X3 35i for my wife I had an identical set of stock hardware to test and switch parts on.

Long story short after lots of testing and part swapping I got out a hand vacuum pump and connected it to the X3's wastegate vacuum actuator. It started moving upon application of vacuum, and reached fully closed with 7Hg applied. On my F10 the wastegate doesn't even start to move until 7Hg, and takes 12-15Hg to reach fully closed.

I knew at this point this afternoon one of two things were going on. Either the wastegate actuator was sticky, or the wastegate arm coming out of the turbo housing was.

Jacked the F10 up and pulled the underpaneling for access. Spun the outer nut off the wastegate rod and reapplied vacuum. Rod now pulls in smoothly like the X3, reaching fully closed at 7Hg.

Reached up with my hand and tried to articulate the wastegate arm on the turbo. It's binds in place with any axial load.

Well shit...

After much debate I decided to lube the arm where it goes into the housing with the highest temp/sticky oil I have, Lucas gun oil. It made it a teeny bit better after a few drops and working it back and forth by hand dozens of times. It still binds under axial load though. The rod is pulling at with a axial load, as is the exhaust gas pushing against the wastegate seat.

Not sure what to do at the moment, but this finally explains the excessively high WGDC, as the DME is sending much more PWM signal to the vacuum solenoid to get the damn thing to close than it should have to.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 09:38 PM   #104
AWF87M2
Major
Rep

check the thread Bmw doubles made a while back of his dyno session with MP stage 1 and 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeofdeath View Post
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2017, 11:01 AM   #105
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stà¼ck View Post
Bmw doubles I hope your dyno session has gone well, and you put down the numbers you were looking for.

Alex and I have been racking our brains for a bit wondering what was going on with my excessive wastegate duty cycle to hit boost requests. We've been inching it up, but again the WGDC was too high for requested boost.

I'm at 52% WGDC to see 10-12psi. Where as the norm (per collected peer data) on a Pure Stage 2 at that WGDC should be 20-24psi.

I've exhaustively tested for boost leaks, pressurized the entire system with smoke and shop air, done testing hot and cold... pretty much ran out of places to point a finger.

A few days ago I noted my waste gate felt a bit hard to articulate by hand, well... with a long hook tool as you can't reach it from the top on F10.

It occurred to me with my recent acquisition of a F25 X3 35i for my wife I had an identical set of stock hardware to test and switch parts on.

[IMG]http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/...pstqu5obrx.jpg[/IMG]

Long story short after lots of testing and part swapping I got out a hand vacuum pump and connected it to the X3's wastegate vacuum actuator. It started moving upon application of vacuum, and reached fully closed with 7Hg applied. On my F10 the wastegate doesn't even start to move until 7Hg, and takes 12-15Hg to reach fully closed.

I knew at this point this afternoon one of two things were going on. Either the wastegate actuator was sticky, or the wastegate arm coming out of the turbo housing was.

Jacked the F10 up and pulled the underpaneling for access. Spun the outer nut off the wastegate rod and reapplied vacuum. Rod now pulls in smoothly like the X3, reaching fully closed at 7Hg.

Reached up with my hand and tried to articulate the wastegate arm on the turbo. It's binds in place with any axial load.

Well shit...

After much debate I decided to lube the arm where it goes into the housing with the highest temp/sticky oil I have, Lucas gun oil. It made it a teeny bit better after a few drops and working it back and forth by hand dozens of times. It still binds under axial load though. The rod is pulling at with a axial load, as is the exhaust gas pushing against the wastegate seat.

Not sure what to do at the moment, but this finally explains the excessively high WGDC, as the DME is sending much more PWM signal to the vacuum solenoid to get the damn thing to close than it should have to.
Wow great discovery with the actuator. I saw many videos about adjusting the arm and thought I too could have either a loose position between the two nuts that adjust the arm(infamous wastegate rattle fix) or the solenoid was going bad. Then the dyno happened yesterday! And those 2 possibilities are not robbing me of power. I might be able to get slightly better response with a fine adjustments to the actuator arm. I'll try the lube technique like you mentioned.

I am about to put up some video and pics and dyno numbers. Lots of game changing discoveries for us PWG folk. Not to spoil it yet, but a quick review is we made more power with less torque and held more PSI to redline. Alex totally reversed engineered BMW's code and found the limiters stopping F10 N55's from making the same power as our little brothers the F30 (watch out boys). @stuck you should be making well over 400whp with PS2 and MP stage 2 on your N55

Appreciate 1
MMAFAN17.50
      03-05-2017, 11:01 AM   #106
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeofdeath View Post
About to post the MP stage 2 upgrade later today.

Appreciate 1
gabypr150.00
      03-05-2017, 12:56 PM   #107
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

Eager to see your results Bmw doubles and more so eager to hopefully get with Alex later today and push a flash to my car.

I drove to the shop today and put her up on the lift. I dropped the downpipe so I could access both sides of the wastegate arm.

I made a slurry of lubricate. Kroil (thin creeping penatrating oil) Lucas gun oil (high temp, sticky) and powdered graphite. The idea being the Kroil would help carry the graphite into the bushing, the Lucas would keep it there, and then after the oils burned away the graphite would remain lubricating the bushing.

I articulated the arm dozens of times post lubrication and its silky smooth now. Reading through some Borg Warner white papers last night I learned a few things, and I also adjusted the wastegate actuator rod a bit to give more preload towards closed. The rod is M6x1.0, so each full revolution of the inner nut is 1mm of preload. I set it for 2mm of preload and set it in place with the outer nut.

I hooked up the hand vacuum pump the actuator pod again and tested it a number of times. It starts moving the instant vacuum is applied now, and is fully closed at 6-7Hg. Perfect.

The drive home from the shop revealed a much improved throttle response, greatly increased spool reaction speed, and increasingly scarce traction in the rain than I'm used to. I think we're good to go for the time being :-)
Appreciate 2
      03-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #108
Secret_Asian
Private First Class
Rep

Was that your stock wg actuator or did it come with the pure s2?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #109
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

I'm still using my original wastegate actuator, which isn't an issue. It is the wastegate arm that was sticking.

Drive to work this morning was more rainy fun knocking the tires off in 2nd and 3rd. Its certainly back in business for the time being. We'll see if the lube job holds long term.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2017, 08:40 PM   #110
Stück
Major
United_States
Rep

The rain finally subsided long enough for the pavement to dry at my favorite seldom traveled back road drag strip. I meandered out there this evening and did a few 3rd gear pulls, getting a clean log for Alex@MP to work with.

WGDC has calmed down significantly as hoped and boost is up... as suspected from the before mentioned knocking off of tires in the rain.

Now to... turn it up :-o
Appreciate 2