2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Strange thrumming between 60-80mph

07-03-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
Ironman273
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i 6MT

Strange thrumming between 60-80mph

So I have a 2011 550i with ~80K miles and I got new non-runflat tires. I was amazed how smooth the car rode after changing the tires.

Soon after the tires I needed a new clutch. After getting the new clutch (which included getting new transmission mounts) I have a thrumming between 60 and 80mph. I feel it in the steering wheel and shifter. It's definitely not as smooth as it was before the new clutch went in. They've checked the wheels to see if it could be that but the wheels are fine. I've driven it with the mechanic who admitted it's not as smooth as it was before (he knows my car) but they can't seem to pinpoint it. The advisor says that the only thing he can think of is to change the engine mounts too, but if that's not the problem it'd be an expensive experiment.

Anyone experience anything similar or have any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 10:03 AM   #2
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
The mounts could be the culprit since their main function is to absorb vibration transfer. Make sure you're using OEM.

The clutch is a scary one. Installation of the clutch requires a hard to find alignment tool. Who installed your clutch? If its not seated and centered properly that would cause all kinds of problems including shorten clutch and DMF life.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 03:26 PM   #3
Ironman273
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw doubles View Post
The mounts could be the culprit since their main function is to absorb vibration transfer. Make sure you're using OEM.

The clutch is a scary one. Installation of the clutch requires a hard to find alignment tool. Who installed your clutch? If its not seated and centered properly that would cause all kinds of problems including shorten clutch and DMF life.
Had new mounts installed at the same time as the old ones were pretty perished. They were OEM.

I had it installed at a mechanic that specializes in European cars where I've had other work done and have been very happy with. The mechanic told me he checked that it was centered correctly.

A neighbor of mine that is an ex-Cadillac mechanic said he had no idea but wondered if the driveshaft could be installed 180 degrees off. He said sometimes the driveshafts are balanced for a specific rotation.

Also, after driving it some more, the vibration is independent of load. If I'm in neutral coasting down from 80 it's the same as if I'm accelerating up from 60.

It's driving me nuts!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 06:45 PM   #4
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
I believe there's a recall for the flex plate
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2017, 04:34 PM   #5
ASIMALI123
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F10 Bmw 535D M SPORT Moonstone

Hi, did anybody resolve the vibration???
Appreciate 0