2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 530D Msport - quick 2 year review

03-16-2014, 01:42 PM   #1
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

530D Msport - quick 2 year review

Thought I would do a small review of my 530d MSport at 2 years old, following on from a review I post when it had its first birthday.

Original review here
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthre...ht=530d+review

2 years on
Mileage 11800
Average fuel consumption to date 42.0 mpg (UK)

The car has just been serviced. When I purchased the car, I opted for the 5 year servicing which cost £400 , a no brainer so this service did not cost be anything extra.
Post service the car is reporting the next service is due in 20000 miles or 2 years.
I’d had a couple of items coded and did wonder if the dealership would update the software, as it turned out, they didn’t.
If they had, I’d be looking to get the original coding back and in addition, get the entertainment list on the HUD enabled as well. I’ve only got the stop -start set to last setting and taillights on with DRL set.
The dealership either didn’t notice or didn’t say anything about it.

Issues to date have been 2 punctures, both on the same rear wheel which cost £399 and £409. So not cheap! The fact I have 19 inch wheels probably makes them a bit more expensive than the 17 inch wheel tyres I suspect.

As mentioned in the original review, the 2 areas that still disappoint are the ride and the steering. Potholes are really felt and every time I encounter them, it really doesn’t sound good for the car. Like a lot of people in the UK, I find myself driving along looking out for the potholes rather than spending more times looking along the road. Some of these potholes really are disgrace.

Steering I have got used to but I still wish I could have the feel of the E39 msport I had previously owned.
The car is very sensitive to camber and on the motorway if in the left lane, it always seems to want to drift left. A very slight amount of right lock is required to keep it where its going. With both hands on the wheel, it’s no big deal. Tracking was check way back not long after getting the car and this was found to be ok (with one adjustment required).

Instead of the usual exterior shots, I’ve included some interior ones this time.
Name:  f101.JPG
Views: 498
Size:  154.4 KB
One shot of the extended instrument display. If you turn off the HUD (not sure why you’d do that though!) , the sat nav directions appear in the cluster display. Presumably where 6WA is an option in markets where you don’t have to choose a HUD, this is what you’d see.
The HUD really is such a good feature.
Name:  f103.JPG
Views: 431
Size:  107.2 KB
I’ve also included a shot where the central console cubby hole is opened and inside you can see the iphone 4 snap in adapter. A feature I really like although BMW snap in adapters are not cheap. This is the basic one which if I recall correctly, cost around £70 and basically charges the phone and amplifies the signal.
Music I play from a USB stick in the same cubby hole. One gripe is that there is a gap between tracks which is slightly annoying if the tracks you have are part of a mix. (Is there anyway round this?)
Another wish, if I’d like to have had the graduated windscreen but this is not compatible with the HUD.

The 3 litre engine (producing 258HP, 398lbft or torque and a 0-62mph of 6.0 secs) is truly amazing.
It can be fast or economical, which ever mood you are in. I do feel it is a lot better than a 520d but I do appreciate that even though the 530d throws in a few extras over and above a 520d, it is a lot more money for 2 more cylinders. At idle, although you can tell it’s a diesel, it doesn’t sound like a taxi and once on the move , is very refined. Certainly on motorways, I’m sure if you asked a passenger, they’d be hard pressed to tell whether it was petrol or diesel. I like the way it make driving seem so effortless, it hardly has to rev for normal driving but when you do put your foot down, it really does shift.
Name:  f102.JPG
Views: 553
Size:  146.0 KB
RTTI is great and I’d be lost without this. It really has saved hours of time directing me around the worst of the traffic. I’ve included a shot showing this. The green lines representing roads where there are no build ups.

I still use the active cruise control and find this very useful on motorways, I also tend to use it when stuck in traffic. If I were buying to day, the new feature of traffic jam assistant would be an option I’d go for.

Overall ,still pleased with the car and expect to keep it for many years to come, especially as ,my annual mileage is not high by any means . I don’t use it for commuting hence why my average fuel consumption is very good.
Appreciate 0