2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..) Circuit of the Americas: Track Seating

03-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #23
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBMW View Post
You are not alone. This, coupled with how overall questionable the entire race is. Management switching in and out. Now Hellmund is out and he is suing McCombs over rights to the entire race, stating grounds of a missed opportunity when he was offered a position at the NJ race but declined because he was attached to Austin.

Plus, the lack of infrastructure improvement and everything. It's just messy. And while I like the idea of V8 supercars, I doubt I would go to a race for it. So it's just all a bunch of wasted money.

To be honest, I really just want an opportunity for a track day at the track.
As long as the track gets built that is all that matters. It will be the only proper modern road course facility in the US. I will attend basically any even they put on there, whether it be F1, V8 supercars, MotoGP. I am sure ALMS, AMA Pro Racing, IndyCar, Nascar, will race there eventually. I am addicted to all forms of racing.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #24
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
As long as the track gets built that is all that matters. It will be the only proper modern road course facility in the US. I will attend basically any even they put on there, whether it be F1, V8 supercars, MotoGP. I am sure ALMS, AMA Pro Racing, IndyCar, Nascar, will race there eventually. I am addicted to all forms of racing.
If the the F1 race falls through, I wouldn't expect the track to be completed as it is currently drawn up. Nor would I expect the same quality would be there either. The actual track surface is one of the last things to go down if the Korean and Indian GP are any measure to go by. Both of those surfaces were only completed just weeks before the event took place.
      03-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #25
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
If the the F1 race falls through, I wouldn't expect the track to be completed as it is currently drawn up. Nor would I expect the same quality would be there either. The actual track surface is one of the last things to go down if the Korean and Indian GP are any measure to go by. Both of those surfaces were only completed just weeks before the event took place.
I have faith. They have gotten through the major hurdles. As long as construction stays constant as it is now. The track will be built. Hellmund is a punk, he was in breach of contract with Forumula 1. I don't see that lawsuit slowing construction.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #26
VIPLINE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have been to Shanghai GP twice and both times i have seated at turn 1, just right at the end of the straight away passing the grandstand. The sound was not as crazy like the grandstand where the cars fly by on WOT, but you can hear them down shifting, the exhausts make loud popping sound like gun shots and see the cars turning through corner. Grandstand is good for seeing pit stops and podium.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 09:58 PM   #27
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Hellmund is a punk
I couldn't disagree more with that.

Hellmund is the sole entire reason the race is even going on in the first place. And the breach of contract was because the money didn't show up on time, this was not Hellmund's fault as he was simply the promoter, McCombs is the money.

Then, after he got the contract, designed the track with Tilke, and placed all the blocks to build this thing; they try to squeeze him out at the end. Which is the cause for the lawsuit.
      03-20-2012, 09:59 PM   #28
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPLINE View Post
I have been to Shanghai GP twice and both times i have seated at turn 1, just right at the end of the straight away passing the grandstand. The sound was not as crazy like the grandstand where the cars fly by on WOT, but you can hear them down shifting, the exhausts make loud popping sound like gun shots and see the cars turning through corner. Grandstand is good for seeing pit stops and podium.
Thanks for sharing and the pictures!

Although, that popping exhaust sound is banned this year. But still great feedback, thank you.
      03-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #29
M3_WC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I couldn't disagree more with that.

Hellmund is the sole entire reason the race is even going on in the first place. And the breach of contract was because the money didn't show up on time, this was not Hellmund's fault as he was simply the promoter, McCombs is the money.

Then, after he got the contract, designed the track with Tilke, and placed all the blocks to build this thing; they try to squeeze him out at the end. Which is the cause for the lawsuit.
The lawsuit really puts into perspective what was going on back in late 2011. Bernie was involved a lot more than he was letting on. Tavo says he still wants the track and race to go on as schedule, even though he just filed a lawsuit. But if his desire is to make sure this race goes off without a hitch and his desire is for the people of Austin, the State of Texas and the fans… it sure seems odd that all the talk and lawsuit is centered around money and Hellmund getting a big chunk of it for his initial involvement. Fact is he lost controll of the project when he forked over a 75% share in the project to Texas businessmen McCombs and Epstein, in return for hundreds of millions. Moral of the story...he wants his MONEY.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 02:21 AM   #30
007MCoupe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Sakhir M3 ZCP

In my (1 race) experience, i think pit exit/turn 1 was the most exciting. At least for Korea GP, but I think it would correlate to other tracks. Main Grandstands would only be good for race start/lauch and the podium...my opinion. I think either back in the esses or pit exit/turn 1 at any track would prove most exciting.

Especially Austin like you said being the highest point, Turn 1 there might be best for that added bonus! Looking at maps and what videos are out there and stuff, I think the run up to turn 1 would be pretty good, either there or back in the esses.
      03-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #31
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The lawsuit really puts into perspective what was going on back in late 2011. Bernie was involved a lot more than he was letting on. Tavo says he still wants the track and race to go on as schedule, even though he just filed a lawsuit. But if his desire is to make sure this race goes off without a hitch and his desire is for the people of Austin, the State of Texas and the fans… it sure seems odd that all the talk and lawsuit is centered around money and Hellmund getting a big chunk of it for his initial involvement. Fact is he lost controll of the project when he forked over a 75% share in the project to Texas businessmen McCombs and Epstein, in return for hundreds of millions. Moral of the story...he wants his MONEY.
Well, of course he wants his money back. That is only natural, and doesn't really detract from my perception of his legitimate interest and love of Formula 1. Money aside, I think he just wanted to be involved in the sport still.

Pitpass.com has also tipped him to replace the former AllSport managing director. Which could also be the 'on-deck' position for the man who will eventually take over for Ecclestone. Though, I'm sure how Hellmund handles this whole situation will heavily influence the AllSport deal.
      03-22-2012, 02:46 AM   #32
CivicRydr
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Thanks for sharing and the pictures!

Although, that popping exhaust sound is banned this year. But still great feedback, thank you.
It'll sound even better this year!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #33
JB991
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 Tacoma, 15 Accord, 16 GT3

Anybody else try to get a refund back from these guys? Seems like it is harder to accomplish than they made it sound. Additionally, now there is a fee from paypal to get the cash back. I don't remember seeing that when I made the deposit, but their site (COTA) has since been updated to reflect that.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #34
DESMO748
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmf75
Anybody else try to get a refund back from these guys? Seems like it is harder to accomplish than they made it sound. Additionally, now there is a fee from paypal to get the cash back. I don't remember seeing that when I made the deposit, but their site (COTA) has since been updated to reflect that.
My sales person has been extremely helpful. Told me to send him an official request via email asking for a refund; got mine in less than a week.

I'm just going to wait for general ticket information and go from there. I prefer watching from a slow corner, e.g. Laguna Seca Turn 5.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #35
CDM3DCT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black M3 DCT

I was hoping I would get more insight on the tickets dilemma here but its the same no matter where you go on the web. Everyone, everywhere is hoping this race goes through but nothing is certain. I am still waiting for prices to even bother looking into hotels/flights/rentals etc...
Appreciate 0