2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics DIY Guides & Discussions Hardwiring Dashcam - 2014 F11 LCI

10-03-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
rmk83
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d F11 2014 (B47)

Hardwiring Dashcam - 2014 F11 LCI

I've seen a few threads here and elsewhere regarding radar detectors, so a dashcam should be no different in theory but I was hoping to do it in a reversible way and am very keen to avoid tapping any of the wiring that goes to the HBA camera (past experience would suggest that if I tapped into that and the adaptive lighting ever developed a fault, the last thing I want to do is give them an excuse not to honour the warranty )

Ideally I'd like to connect to the fusebox in the glove box with a removable 'add-a-fuse' but it doesn't seem easy (possible!?) to route a cable to this. This is how I did our VW golf, but the fusebox is infinitely easier to access!

I've seen a product called 'MirrorTap' but it seems to only be available in the US - is this as simple as it looks (a wire soldered to a thin metal pin?) and, if so, does anyone know which wires that run to the mirror should be tapped ? Even better, does anyone have a diagram that shows the full pinout of these connectors (see attached)?

Alternatively, is there a connector that could be easily tapped in a similar manner behind the overhead centre console panel ?

As for hiding the camera itself I'm using a Mobius camera that's been adapted a little - will post photos of the installation (which i'm rather pleased with) once I can figure out how to get power to it!

Again, I really want to avoid *cutting* into any cables - otherwise it'd be really easy - the car is part of a finance agreement which requires it is returned to original condition and I don't want to give BMW an excuse not to honour warranties in the future.

Any advice anyone can offer would be much appreciated

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
CraigUK
Captain
Rep
Drives: F11 LCI 520D Sport Tourer

Hi, I put a dash cam in my F11 at the weekend, installed a mini 0803 right in the center of the screen just under the mirror. When driving it's barely noticeable from the drivers seat.

For the power, I bought a right angled micro USB lead and fed it through the mirror housing, along the top of the screen and down into the glove box. I now have it plugged in the glovebox USB port which I don't use for anything else. The power is cut with the other utility sockets when the car is locked. All told, very tidy install with no visible wiring at all bar about 1" below the mirror housing.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
rmk83
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d F11 2014 (B47)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigUK View Post
Hi, I put a dash cam in my F11 at the weekend, installed a mini 0803 right in the center of the screen just under the mirror. When driving it's barely noticeable from the drivers seat.
Do you have the adaptive lighting ? Incidentally I think if you have the other camera-assisted things (LDWS, Speed Limit Info Display etc) then the camera module is actually smaller and more discrete than *just* the adaptive lighting

Quote:
For the power, I bought a right angled micro USB lead and fed it through the mirror housing, along the top of the screen and down into the glove box. I now have it plugged in the glovebox USB port which I don't use for anything else. The power is cut with the other utility sockets when the car is locked. All told, very tidy install with no visible wiring at all bar about 1" below the mirror housing.
I don't think I have a USB port in the glove box (can't say I've looked though!) I know I don't have the extra 12V outlet under the glove box that many people have. If I did that might be a good place to get power from.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2014, 05:31 PM   #4
CraigUK
Captain
Rep
Drives: F11 LCI 520D Sport Tourer

No I've not got adaptive lighting. My car is a December 2013 520D MSport Tourer and from what I've read the USB port is standard on all LCI models, it's located in the left hand side of the glovebox.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 12:57 PM   #5
Oatmeal
Rep
Drives: X3

OP. I ran a wire all the way to the trunk's fuse box. I tap my wires from there. I also bought this box which basically will shut off power under a certain voltage. Not sure about yours but my dash cam also records in parking mode based on the motion sensor. It is actually a clean install as the wire is tucked in side the roof trim.
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2015, 10:25 AM   #6
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

You can run the wires to the front fuse box. It has both permanent wire and ACC wire.
I cannot remember the fuse numbers but I fitted my dash cam and it works perfectly ok.
      03-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #7
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatmeal View Post
OP. I ran a wire all the way to the trunk's fuse box. I tap my wires from there. I also bought this box which basically will shut off power under a certain voltage. Not sure about yours but my dash cam also records in parking mode based on the motion sensor. It is actually a clean install as the wire is tucked in side the roof trim.
Do you have parking mode and if yes, how long does it record after you turn off the car?
Also do you get the message 'excessive battery discharge when car was off' when you start it?

My dashcam is set to 11.7 volt so if battery goes to 11.7, it will turn off recording. I have see my dashcam recording easily upto 12-14 hours and then shut off. But that is due to car computer system finding that battery is going low and shutting off the power to fuses and hence I am getting that message on navigation.
      03-17-2015, 11:06 AM   #8
magic77
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ex- 335i

Going to fit a Halo unit to a friends F10 any recomendations which are best fuses to tap into for Acc and permanent power

thanks
      04-27-2015, 09:21 PM   #9
Sailorbaz
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 & 2004 M3 CSL

Interested in installing a dash cam in my F10, subscribed to this thread.

2004 M3 CSL with Supersprint and 2013 F10 520d
Worldwide M3 CSL Register based in the UK
Appreciate 0