2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Open air experiment and still have money for chipotle

09-17-2016, 05:06 PM   #1
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Open air experiment and still have money for chipotle

I know the hot air setup doesn't yield huge benefits but I felt like on the 535 it might being tuned. I removed the air box and custom fit it with silicon hoses and gave it a whirl. It feels like it doesn't try as hard through the rpm range now. Like its breathing better as I'm requesting more power. Grant it its hot air, but I have a few more experiments I will add to to this. Adding a air scoop and port the cool air directly to the air filter and compare intake temps. I also thought about removing the weather stripping around the engine (old school e90 style)
Attached Images

535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 1
FSociety3812.50
      09-17-2016, 07:11 PM   #2
MavRick
Captain
Rep
Drives: My Wife's M

i'm just not sure the temperature of the air entering the intake makes a difference since it has to go through the intercooler, anyway. i mean...thats why you have an intercooler. compressing the air/heat from turbine wheel will heat it up a LOT more than the ambient temperature....
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 07:21 PM   #3
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
True, I'm trying to increase CFM and the airbox is as hot as the engine so I don't think it makes a difference either. Porting more air at greater volume may help...
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 10:22 AM   #4
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

I think the best solution is fit bigger diameter pipe in front of OEM box, and take out the smaller plastic pipe.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 06:04 PM   #5
MavRick
Captain
Rep
Drives: My Wife's M

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul223 View Post
I think the best solution is fit bigger diameter pipe in front of OEM box, and take out the smaller plastic pipe.

yup. its the increase in the volume of air thats gonna make a difference...not the temp. its why i really want a solution to the funnel that plagues the N63 intake as it routes to the turbo. all those pipes before that funnel dont mean squat. theyre just making a bunch of noise....
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2016, 08:01 PM   #6
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Now for part of the experiment where I funnel in higher volume through skid plate scoops with dual ports. We'll see if there an increase of performance and motor bay cooling.

So far throttle response is better and there's more power on the freeway for sure.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 08:25 AM   #7
krautmeister
krrrraaauuuuut
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 750i X Drive M-Sport

Garage List
G12 750i  [0.00]
That's pretty cool. So you gotta cut out an opening and attach that to your skid plate? How sturdy is it? I assume it looks like polypropylene... will you rivet?? glue never works on PP.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #8
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

wondering if getting a carbon fiber hood and just adding scoops would help?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 11:19 AM   #9
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by krautmeister
That's pretty cool. So you gotta cut out an opening and attach that to your skid plate? How sturdy is it? I assume it looks like polypropylene... will you rivet?? glue never works on PP.
Yes I have to cut the under tray, but gonna use a dremel with a disc stone cutter to make the perfect incision. Thought about rivets, but most likely 2 part epoxy. One vent to cool the trans another will be rerouted to the air filter.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 11:23 AM   #10
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg
wondering if getting a carbon fiber hood and just adding scoops would help?
Absolutely would work, but the cost of the hood is not worth it. Maybe buying another 535 hood off of eBay, professionally modding it to have vents and then painting it would be cheaper.

Appreciate 0