2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Cracked windshield

12-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
SirNicholas
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 535i

Cracked windshield

I was driving down the freeway yesterday and a car in front of me swerved into the shoulder a nasty rock flew and smashed into the windshield

Now there is a long crack in the bottom left of the windshield (driver side)

I'll try to take a picture, but it is hard to capture the damage. It is a long (6-8 inch crack).

Any chance something like this can be fixed? Or do I have to replace the entire windshield? I do have a deductible, so that could cost me $500. Terrible timing right before Christmas
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

The crack will simply spread out even mor over time due to constant road vibration. If you have HUD, then your are really forced to get it done thru the dealer (perhaps) as the windshield has different coating (inside the glass pane).
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
SFSebas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirNicholas View Post
I was driving down the freeway yesterday and a car in front of me swerved into the shoulder a nasty rock flew and smashed into the windshield

Now there is a long crack in the bottom left of the windshield (driver side)

I'll try to take a picture, but it is hard to capture the damage. It is a long (6-8 inch crack).

Any chance something like this can be fixed? Or do I have to replace the entire windshield? I do have a deductible, so that could cost me $500. Terrible timing right before Christmas
I had something very similar happen to me just a few days ago.

I called my insurance and was told that if a dollar bill covers the damage, it can be repaired free of charge. If the windshield needs to be replaced, my $500 deductible covers it.

Youtube videos on windshield repair and it shows some pretty serious damage being repaired without the windshield needing to be replaced.

My windshield has already been repaired for free. The repair is not perfect but I figure I will keep it this way until the next rock hits.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
SirNicholas
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSebas View Post
I had something very similar happen to me just a few days ago.

I called my insurance and was told that if a dollar bill covers the damage, it can be repaired free of charge. If the windshield needs to be replaced, my $500 deductible covers it.

Youtube videos on windshield repair and it shows some pretty serious damage being repaired without the windshield needing to be replaced.

My windshield has already been repaired for free. The repair is not perfect but I figure I will keep it this way until the next rock hits.
Ah, glad to hear that. How did you find the repair place?

Does anyone know where I can go in LA?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
mrcamp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535ix Feb build

I believe this is covered my comprehensive and there should be no deductible. At least, I did not have any deductible when I had to replace the one on my Honda Odyssey.