2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Powertrain Malfunction- post exhaust install

07-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #1
WhiteWalker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Question Powertrain Malfunction- post exhaust install

Recently installed a Meistershaft GTC on my '11 550i Dinan S2.

Under medium+ and steady throttle-- 5th and 6th gear , the car delivers a POWERTRAIN MALFUNCTION since installing my exhaust.

The boost seems to vanish and the car is not lifeless, but certainly running with significantly less power.

Recently had it at BMW where my mechanic advised of a potential vacuum left open when the new exhaust was put on. It was supposedly corrected and I also upgraded to Dinan S3.

First time out of the shop where I had the room, same result Powertrain Malfunction.

Any advise or thoughts would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #2
combatbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 20' X3M CP

Garage List
is the vacuum line in the back of the car plugged into the exhaust? If there is no port make sure you close it off with golf tees
Retired:2015 M5 CP MSR Intake|Carbon Fiber Fender Vents|Meisterschaft GTC catback with LXR mid pipes and ER Catless DPs | BPMSPORT Stage II Tune | RKP Rear Diffuser and Challenge Center piece |RKP Front Lip| Painted Reflectors | H&R Springs | Strasse SM5R Carbon Fiber Wheels | Nitto R888 |
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 09:59 PM   #3
WhiteWalker
Private First Class
Rep

Sorry for the novice reply but where is it located specifically?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 04:25 AM   #4
combatbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 20' X3M CP

Garage List
by the mufflers, should be two black hoses.. these hoses own and close the stock valves for noise reduction.

I know the system you have, come w/and w/out valves.

Not sure if the non-valved system has something to plug into, or if you have the valves if they people who installed it plugged in those lines to your new system.

there are two, one by both mufflers. Black vacuum line, that connects to the valve on the mufflers that open and close the valves.

google it, should find plenty of images. If you took your car to a non bmw shop they probably didnt plug in the vacuum lines and thats why you are having issues, cause now you have a leak.. I had the same issue you lose like all your boost.
Retired:2015 M5 CP MSR Intake|Carbon Fiber Fender Vents|Meisterschaft GTC catback with LXR mid pipes and ER Catless DPs | BPMSPORT Stage II Tune | RKP Rear Diffuser and Challenge Center piece |RKP Front Lip| Painted Reflectors | H&R Springs | Strasse SM5R Carbon Fiber Wheels | Nitto R888 |
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 07:32 AM   #5
WhiteWalker
Private First Class
Rep

Good morning I really appreciate the reply! I will check it out now.

My mechanic friend at BMW suggested the same prob and looked at the vacumn hose( maybe just not well enough)

I have the GTC EV- it does have valves but they are controlled by an actuator and remote ( open/close manually)

Going to get under the car and will follow up. Thank you again.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 09:02 AM   #6
WhiteWalker
Private First Class
Rep

Capped the hoses on each side with 1/4" hose caps.
Went for a drive, got the error again and again.

The error self clears, but the car is still feels like turbos are doing nearly nothing.

Is there a reset I should perform or anything else simple to check? The car is going to BMW Monday.

Happy 4th.
Appreciate 0