2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 550 GT: Thoughts?

11-29-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
Evoking
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

F10 550 GT: Thoughts?

Guys,

I'm considering a 2010 550 GT with 67k. I have a 900hp 997TT and was looking for a luxury car that would be great for double dates, clients and road trips. Was considering 750i, S550, E550, A8, LS460 etc. Then I stumbled on 550i GT and although at first I thought it was ugly it has grown on me.

I feel that like a wagon the GT will age well because you rarely see them. You don't see an E or 5 series wagon and think that its the old body. Somehow they always look fresh because they're not always on your eyes. Also its look it quirky and charismatic. Finally, the backseat space & reclining, skyroof and and cargo space is a compelling package.

Should I be concerned about the F10 550i with 67k? Is this a car I can keep for 10 years? For example I have a 94 S600 that is immaculate and runs great - yet 20 years old.

MB guys rave about how unreliable BMW's are. What say you - are these F10's finicky and unreliable?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 09:26 PM   #2
Das Johnson
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi

I wouldnt get it.

Not because its ugly (I also wont get one because of that) but because of everyone elses opinion on the car. Even if you dont care what others think, I have a friend with one that gets peppered with comments and questions that sort of politely say "You Idiot! Haven't you seen what else is out there for that price?! I thought you knew cars." Be prepared for that if you get it.

My f10 is pretty dumb sometimes (engine lights for no reason), but I got a first year model so I expect bugs. Keep looking if you mind random pops in the stereo and random engine and brake problems where there cant possibly be any!

Call me biased but its the MB's that are unreliable, buddy of mine has an M6 from the 80's thats done over a million miles! Any car is unreliable if you treat it wrong (theres also the occasional "bad egg".).
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 11:14 PM   #3
Evoking
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe

Thanks for the feedback. You lost me with the notion folks implicate 'you idiot there are better options for that price'. It offers more content than a 550i for similar $ and less than 7 series.

Regarding the reliability yes both MB and BMW have their issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 04:02 AM   #4
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

That's a wide range of cars on your prospective list. If you're after a luxury car then the S Class is the one to go for imo, MB throw everything at this car to ensure it's best in class.

I can see your logic on the GT, but I'm shocked at the number of issues reported with this particular engine. One with 67k that you intend on keeping for 10 years might not be the best idea...

If you're hooked on the GT find a 535i/d, seem to be a lot more reliable and you have another car for your power fix already!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 01:29 PM   #5
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

The GT is a very nice car INSIDE - just not crazy about the OUTSIDE. If you like the looks, though, I wouldn't let anyone's opinion hold you back. I somewhat agree with your point of view that lesser seen models keep their freshness a bit longer. A wagon is also a bit more charming in some ways - it says, "I have utilitarian needs but I do it in style" perhaps?

I'm not sure how old you are, but the GT is also a bit of an "older person's" car to me. The standard 5-series is ripe for the 30'something and up crowd, while the GT seems like it speaks more to the upper 50's to 60+ crowd... "I have a bad back, and this higher ride really helps me out"?

As for reliability, the N63 engine in the pre-LCI 550's has some issues. I know the GT got the N63Tu before the standard non-GT F10, but I'm not sure exactly when (someone with a GT can fill you in, or you can do some research). The N63 engine wasn't bad, but it did have some minor issues with fuel injectors to name a popular glitch. That said, I'm of the mind that ANY BMW can go for 10 - 20 years easily if you're on top of it maintenance wise. If you bring it in for service, and you have a great dealer, it may cost you a bit to keep it going, but it'll last as long as you're willing to pamper and pay for it. The V8 engine isn't BMW's bread and butter, so I don't expect the highest reliability from them; however, I don't expect them to be "poor" either.

Like I said, if you like the looks, the GT can be a very comfortable and luxurious cruiser with nice room for people and cargo. 67k miles isn't exceptionally high for any BMW, but it's clearly out of warranty - so I'd expect to pay a few grand here and there to keep it going.

As for other cars, I like many others better - the A8 is great. The S-class. A standard 5-series. I'd pick all of those over the 5GT, to be honest. But it's all about your personal preferences and needs. To be fair, the 5GT doesn't compete with these cars, either.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
shaileshmd
Registered
Rep
Drives: 550xi, silver

Smile

I have a 550Xi GT bought new 8/2010. My depth of BMW engines etc. is limited. I wanted an all wheel drive car with power, and this was my first BMW. The car now has ONLY 23000 miles ( do not drive much!), and has performed well in most respects. The battery had to be replaced by BMW due to charging inadequately. The car is " UGLY" as some members have defined. It still gets young, and old " kids" coming over and calling it nice set of " wheels". My son in law just bought a Lexus SUV. He is still itching to find out all the gadgets, tricks, and power packages with the GT. I was planning to buy a MB AMG, but my wife talked me out of it! The dealership charged $2400 for 2 years of full maintenance when my original 4 years of coverage ended. I had also bought an extended warranty from the dealer during original purchase, so FAR has not been used ONCE. The trunk design is terrible. Cleaning the rear windshield from inside requires more than average flexibility. The run flat tires is a 50/50 blessing. One of my tires bubbled at 10,000 mile. The dealer's svc. adviser wanted about $450 total for replacement. I called Goodyear about reading " road hazard was covered". Absolutely outstanding experience! Customer svc. rep. was mad that the dealership did not contact them, and told me get car brought back to the dealer. I received a brand new tire at no charge from Goodyear, paid $60 to the dealer for installation. Since than the dealership has been extra nice, and periodically they provide titbits of small service freebees.
Here are some thoughts about buying this car again.
Exceptional power
Very quiet, the window slides in to the frame, you will love YOUR music collection
The car still rides like new.
I put a small container of Techron in the gas tank first time in my driving carrier over 35 years. It could be my imagination, but the car is riding smoother, a little quieter, warms faster, and appears more responsive.
The heated rear seats are enjoyed by the family members, and friends.
The car may be worth $30,000 at this time.
Should I go for a new one? You be the judge.

Last edited by shaileshmd; 12-06-2014 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: Mileage etc
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 10:59 AM   #7
shaileshmd
Registered
Rep
Drives: 550xi, silver

Addendum, you may get between 12-14 miles/g in city, over 20-22/g on the highway.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Aesthetics are subjective and depends on people. If you are buying this to drive other people then the question is "Do the other people care or judge? would that matter to you?"

I would say BMWs are as reliable as any brand as long as you take good care of it. BMWs generally uses good parts but they way they design them is complicated and also on tighter tolerances than the average cars. They are also littered with electronics and a ton of sensors. It's a good thing and a bad thing. It's easier to diagnose BMWs if you know what you're doing but it's a nightmare if you're not trained or knowledgeable.

Why do people consider BMWs unreliable? because diagnosing and fixing cars is as foreign to most people as troubleshooting/fixing computers. BMWs are more complicated than most.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #9
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

Hey man, despite what others say, the 550 GT is one hell of a machine. The spaciousness, the versatility, and the rarity are unmatched by the F10, despite how great a car that is as well.

I actually own a F07 550 GT with over $17k in modifications, including extended BMW-certified warranty, DINAN Stage 2, H&R springs, etc.
Lucky for you, it's for sale. Only 27K miles, she's been only garage kept and handwashed. I have a list of all the modifications (all covered under warranty) along with the specs and etc. The modifications have not only made it more attractive, but better handling, smoother, and more powerful, so it doesn't feel too lacking from your 900hp P-car

67K is WAYYY too much for a car only 4 years old, the lower mileage the less likely any problems will occur. The GT has been running smoothly ever since we bought it and no major problems besides replacement of the fuel injectors which was for every N63 motor out there. She runs af she she's straight out of the factory.

you can see all the specs on the car here, including options, modifications, etc. http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873751 . I'm negotiable on price so definitely inbox me, let's talk.

PM me. I know you'll love the GT. Especially a lowered, modified one, that still maintains the comfort and luxuries of a normal GT, and one that will get heads turning (in a good way).

Last edited by TheBlackGT; 12-10-2014 at 09:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2014, 04:39 PM   #10
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

If you like it just go for it, it is for sure very similar to the F10 under the skin, and if you happy with the higher driving position so be it! I think with too many F10 around, the GT comes across more special, with the M kit the car looks quite good!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 08:39 PM   #11
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 550i

The 550 GT is BMW's version of the Pontiac Aztec.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 10:55 PM   #12
NoMods
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5

Garage List
2022 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbrewer View Post
The 550 GT is BMW's version of the Pontiac Aztec.
BMW had no shame when they approved that thing
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2014, 02:27 AM   #13
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

I've said it before. People accept functional deficits of car design in favor of looks all the time. It's the same as accepting deficits in looks in favor of function. They are equal but one is more vain than the other.

In the case of the GT there are massive functional gains by virtue of it's looks; gains not had in Audi's A7 attempt to do a luxury hatch. And, ironically, in person, it's looks garner more positive attention than the F10 and similar hum drum mass-produced-all-look-the-same sedans. It beats out the F10 with Valets all day long. Arguably, looks are worth nothing and come at the price of loss of function or capability which actually does have value.

OP: You seem to have settled on a rational justification for a GT for your needs and wants. A leased one that is the car's first model year, an N63 and with 67K miles may not fare as well long term as a single owner one with low miles like Dinan_GT's or others on the market. There are great deals to be had on used GTs ... something you maybe CAN thank the critics for.