2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media Video: BMW Alpina B5 Biturbo with Uprated 540 HP

06-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Video: BMW Alpina B5 Biturbo with Uprated 540 HP

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Video: BMW Alpina B5 Biturbo with Uprated 540 HP
COMMENTS

Alpina recently debuted at the Geneva auto show, the improved BMW Alpina B5 Biturbo with 540 HP. We've reposted below the B5's official specs and information, as well as a gallery from the Geneva show. Alpina has just released the following official video promo for the B5. Unfortunately, the B5 is not available in North America currently.

Alpina B5 Bi-Turbo

PRESS RELEASE + Expand

BMW ALPINA B5 BITURBO – SALOON, TOURING – HIGH PERFORMANCE, PERFECTLY STYLED
(MODEL YEAR 03/2012)

THE POWERTRAIN – FIRST CLASS PERFORMANCE AND ECONOMY

The new all-aluminium V8 powerplant produces 540hp (397kW) at a moderate 5200 to 6250rpm, with maximum torque of 730Nm available between 2800 and 5000rpm. “Bi-Turbo” refers to two turbo-chargers configured in parallel, each feeding one of the two cylinder banks. Specially developed large diameter exhaust-turbines allow this engine configuration to provide both exceptional power output and an abundance of torque over an especially broad rpm range while maintaining excellent throttle response at low rpm.

The comprehensive high-performance cooling system comprises an indirect inter-cooling system (air-to-water/water-to-air) with short intake tracts and increased inter-cooler flow. The systems excellent thermodynamic efficiency is guaranteed by a large-volume low-temperature inter-cooler radiator, as well as two water-to-air inter-coolers placed close to the engine.

High-performance MAHLE pistons are designed specifically to deal with temperatures and pressures associated with up to 1.2 bar charging and the engine’s 9.2:1 nominal compression ratio. Altogether this results in an impressive specific output of 123 horsepower (90kW) per litre and a mean total compression of 20.1 bar.

Direct injection and Double-VANOS contribute to the B5 Bi-Turbo’s class-leading performance, emissions and economy in this segment: 10.5l/100km (Touring: 10.6l/100km) and 252g/km CO2 (Touring: 255g/km) (Combined, measured according to ECE Norm).

TRANSMISSION – EIGHT-SPEED “WUNDERKIND”

Adapted and tested in co-operation with ZF, the advanced SWITCH-TRONIC 8-speed Sport Automatic Transmission sets a new benchmark. With ALPINA’s philosophy the guiding credo, our engineers have spent thousands of development and test hours ensuring that no other performance automatic transmission comes close to providing this level of both comfort and performance.
The blend of eight speeds and plenty of torque makes for unparalleled comfortable gear changes with no noticeable interruption to the delivery of power – only the accompanying acoustics and the dynamic rev counter provide feedback as to the workings of the transmission. 730Nm of torque means the B5 Bi-Turbo excels at cruising along at speed in a high gear at minimum rpm, benefiting both consumption and comfort.

Using the Sport (S) Shift Mode a completely different character emerges: the transmission is crisp and unmistakably immediate. The innovative single-cylinder fade-out (known as 'Einzelzylinderausblendung‘ in German), enables super quick up-shifts which take just milliseconds. Depending on the load on the transmission, the injection of fuel into a given cylinder is interrupted for a fraction of a second, creating the required reduction in torque that the automatic transmission needs for the up-shift. The advantages versus the typical method of timing retardation are noticeably quicker shifts, improved thermo-dynamic efficiency due to reduced exhaust temperatures and lower fuel consumption. Each up-shift is accompanied by a deep back-pressure burble.
The SWITCH-TRONIC buttons, for use in the Manual (M) Shift Mode, are ergonomically and unobtrusively positioned on the back of the steering wheel, and allow the driver to take complete control of the transmission. The system allows for multi-simultaneous down-shifts in milliseconds, hereby the transmission will skip several gears depending on engine loads and rpm. In this manner the 8-speed Sport Automatic Transmission with ALPINA SWITCH-TRONIC reveals itself as extremely multi-faceted, providing the right shift characteristic for any and all situations.

The Automatic Up-Shift function means that the transmission will up-shift into a higher gear once a certain rpm threshold has been passed in the current gear. In certain driving situations this may not be desired, for example during especially sporty driving or for example when encountering multiple tight hair-pin corners. The simultaneous selection of either Sport, Sport+ or DSC OFF Mode using the Drive Dynamic Control button and the selection of the M Shift Mode (transmission) will deactivate the automatic up-shift funtion. The transmission will hold the selected gear up to maximum rpm’s (electronically limited) and will not automatically up-shift into a higher gear.

The intelligent coupling of state-of-the-art engine and transmission technologies give the B5 Bi-Turbo stunning performance figures: 0-100km/h in 4.5 seconds (Touring: 4.6) and a top speed of 319km/h (Touring: 316km/h). Massive braking capability in the form of ventilated high-performance brakes (374mm front, 345mm rear) ensures braking on par with pure-bred sports cars.

SUSPENSION – DYNAMIC COMFORT

The times when „properly stiff„ suspensions were seen as a positive handling characteristic are long gone. It remains a fact that a truly neutral set-up, even at the limit, provides the best technical compromise. This is achieved in part through shorter ALPINA springs and specific transverse suspension arms which in combination result in an optimised camber. Together with 20” wheels and tyres this yields a very balanced and direct chassis set-up, discarding a pure sport-orientated approach for an agile suspension with pre- cise turn-in. Mounted on the light-weight 20” ALPINA CLASSIC wheels are non-run-flat MICHLIN PILOT SUPER SPORT tyres measuring 255/35 ZR20 front and 285/30 ZR20 rear. Representing the latest in ultra-high performance tyre technology available today, they feature a running surface is made up of 2/3rds soft compound (centre) and 1/3rd hard compound (outside and flanks). This mixture makes for excellent durability despite typical hard use in high-performance vehicles yet provides very good grip in the wet. Enhanced tread stability and a new flank reinforcement technology ensure the tyre is less likely to suffer from spikes in temperature with a resulting loss of grip in the dry.

To fulfil the seemingly contradictory demands for comfort, everyday usability and sports car like handling, the B5 Bi-Turbo is equipped with electronically-adjustable dampers (Variable Damper Control). This system has been artfully calibrated by ALPINA, and is tied into other system parameters controlling steering assistance, torque cushioning and the Dynamic Stability Control system. Featuring pronounced Comfort, Normal, Sport and Sport+ modes, the B5 Bi-Turbo transitions effortlessly from cultivated luxury to thorough-bred sportiness. Light steering, ultra-comfortable suspension and an imperceptibly shifting transmission make the B5 Bi-Turbo an ideal partner in stop-and-go traffic, when covering great distances or when encountering less than perfect road surfaces. Yet at the touch of a button, the B5 Bi-Turbo will track through tricky corners and exciting sections of road with an agility and light-footedness like no other in its class.

An especially for the BMW ALPINA B5 Bi-Turbo in co-operation between ALPINA and Drexler Motorsport adapted limited-slip differential is available as an option. This mechanical limited-slip differential improves traction during dynamic driving and minimises slip by distributing torque and power to the wheel with the most grip. The opera- tion of the limited-slip differential is permanent and independent from other driving dynamic settings or systems. Significant characteristics include: torque sensing multidisc differential with pre-tensioning; active locking characteristic up to 30 % under load and 20 % under trailing throttle; very reactive in sensing slip, harmonious self-steering properties and excellent directional stability; motor sport quality, forged gears, CNC milled housing, hand built.

DESIGN & INTERIOR – CLASSIC CRAFTSMANSHIP MEETS MODERN TECHNOLOGY

The B5 Bi-Turbo presents typical ALPINA virtues and design cues in a new and convincing fashion, with a refreshing and dynamic appearance. Both the saloon’s and the touring’s silhouette begins with an attention commanding front that is powerful and confident, and ends with a harmonious and elegant rear. The ALPINA trademark two double-ended-pipes are artfully integrated into the rear valence which features a discreet diffuser. The diffuser can be deleted as needed, should the customer desire the optional ability to tow a trailer. In combination with the rear spoiler (Saloon), the B5 Bi-Turbo’s total aerodynamic package yields the highest levels of safety and stability, especially at high speeds. The resulting reduction in lift, speed-dependent, can reach a remarkable –60 % front and –30 % rear.

The interior reveals the expected discreet touches that suggest the B5 Bi-Turbo’s exclusive pedigree. The standard equipment level is comprehensive: leather interior, versatile and adjustable Comfort seats, an excellent navigation system with Bluetooth preparation, and Xenon headlamps all ensure the driver’s and passengers’ well-being. The hand-stitched LAVALINA leather SWITCH-TRONIC steering wheel can be positioned exactly as needed to see the blue ALPINA gauges with black-panel LCD technolo- gy, thanks to the electrically-adjustable steering column. The classic ALPINA burled Myrtle wood trim provides a warm ambience - found only on the USA’s Pacific Coast it is cultivated from dedicated Laurel tree groves grown for just this purpose. Optional ALPINA Piano Lacquer interior trim with its silver diagonal rhombs, offers a modern and just as exclusive alternative.
The interior’s warm ambience and modern treatments foster a sense of well-being. For those who would only award themselves that something unique, exclusive volumes and the ALPINA philosophy of hand-craftsmanship offer a nearly endless spectrum of personalisation.

Buchloe, March 2012

Alpina B5 Bi-Turbo

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

Best sounding 550 Ive ever heard. I wonder how much the exhaust system goes for?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

well it's made by Akrapovic for Alpina so you can check with their dealer to see if you can buy it from them directly. I'm sure it will be a significant amount
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
RIDICULOUS! I Don't see how anyone can hate on the F10, it looks good stock, M-Sport, M or Alpina guise. The sound is very nice too!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
I would love an Alpina Touring!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Thumbs up

I DO!!

I DO WANT!!!

I DO WANT THAT TOURING!!

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
m5 guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M5 Comp

Gorgeous
2001 E46 M3 Oxford Green Metallic II-Cinnamon SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
ilya335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter399 View Post
Best sounding 550 Ive ever heard. I wonder how much the exhaust system goes for?
All I heard in the vid is :woosh: .

Any particular part of the video you're referring to? Their 300 epic music is a bit too much for me. Let me just hear the car...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
InTheNightKitchen
Ignorance is Bliss?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1 of Many

This car is for the fast guys, lol. I LIKE!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Am i the only one that likes F11 better than F10?
      06-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
ISsoFAST
Private First Class
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: E92 IS

stuning

nextUP: ArkymLip
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
NYe60chrisIU
NYe60chrisIU
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 5er

Line it up with an m5 please
      06-15-2012, 08:20 PM   #13
JA///MES
PLZRACE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

BEAUTIFUL!!!! The Germans sure do know how to build an automobile!
2011 E90 JBM ///M3 DCT l Gintani Catless X-Pipe w/ Hybrid Exhaust l Vishnu Procede V5 with Meth l l RE Pulleys l Tecnocraft Envy l Arkym CF Diffuser l CF BMW Spoiler l Arkym CF Front Bumper l GB ///M Badge l GB Side Markers l GB Kidney Grills l PSS 275/255/35/19s l VMR VB3s in Hyper Black l CF Steering Wheel Trim l ///M Pedals l Black Tow Hooks l Eibach Springs l GP Thunder Bulbs l IND Key Hole Cover l BMW PSW l Verstrabe Paddles
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #14
turbotoy4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 Porsche Macan ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Stunning. I really want on of these.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 10:55 PM   #15
ATX78703
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Wow, sick. Alpina's have always struck me as "dealer" cars, if u catch my drift. But they are gorgeous, classy, balls fast and somewhat more unique than an M car. I would love to see this run with an M5.

Actually, I would love to see more alpina's in the states
      06-16-2012, 01:44 AM   #16
JBE90335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

that green is so gorgeous
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 09:07 AM   #17
Panchio
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe, M3 E92 DCT, 1M VO

Soooooo beautiful!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #18
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

Why is this B5 not coming to 'merica again?
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #19
therealjoeyj
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 550i & '11 X35i

Garage List
that green exterior is getting me all sorts of excited. want!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #20
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

The new 540hp Alpina V8 is based on the N63tu (new N63, now with Valvetronic), no? If so, this is the only way to get the N63tu in a 5er. For whatever reason, BMW only gave the 6 and 7 (and X6, and perhaps X5 too, can't recall) the N63tu for MY2103. The 5 continues with the standard N63.

Granted you don't really buy this car for the tech used in the engine anyway, you buy it because it has 540hp - 140hp more than a standard 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #21
m balla
m balla
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: ///M

I'll take an S63tu in that color please
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #22
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

It's a big mistake to not offer this model to US market.
I'm not sure if they will sell to many in Europe, but their engines are always much more impressive than standard ones in BMW line up, with the performances just a little bit under M models! Related to exclusivity, this is another story
Appreciate 0