2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums F10 / F11 5-Series Photos - Video - Media Should I Stay Or Should I Go!

12-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G11

Should I Stay Or Should I Go!

I am an anxiety sufferer before we start so steady on the flaming. Part of my illness is a general unsettled feeling and a little obsessive.

I am even talking to my shrink on this issue and she is like "WTF dude" Although not sure she calls me dude.

I have owned the F10 BMW 530 SPORT for 6 months Titanium Silver, Upgraded Alpine, reverse cam, navigation. Covered 26k miles.

Its a car that I lusted for for possibly 2 years. I lost 10k trade in on a Mercedes to get it.

There is something about it that feel is a little boring!!!

Yes the suspension is nice and firm. Engine Noise is amazing when pushed. and when you take the driving aids off and let the car have all the energy to the wheels, its quite a monster. Its also quiet, refined.

But dare I say there is something missing which I cannot put my finger on.

Its is a clinical feel? A lack of Character? A steering issue?

Replacing it would have to still be something that says sport, but has youth...Perhaps A5 3.0 Quattro.

The reason I know something is awry is that I am lusting after a boxster or toy convertible car.

I miss my 330D Sport Convertible

Nothing beats BMW - we have to remember that - but this car just doesn't make me grin from ear to ear.

Yes its built for long night-time A Roads and I couldn't pick a better nighttime car....

If you were me what would you do?

I bought it 6 months ago.
Before that I had a E350 Sport for only 12 months - sold cause wallowy drive
Before that I had a 330d Loved it with roof down - sold cause shit when roof up.

As you can tell I have a car that is devaluing and I am not smiling

M3 Convertible????
Z4 on a PCP and keep the F10
635D Convertible sell the F10

-

I just cant get out of my head how stupid we are buying such new cars when in 2 years they cost almost half... So I am having regrets.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I take it the 530 is the 'd' not the 'i'..... if so, then that could be it, totally competent but not exciting. I "back to back" tested the 530d with a 535i. You can guess which one put the biggest grin on the face.

Problem with not being satisfied with car purchases, costs are high to move on.

We really should buy cars for the long term, unless we just love flushing money down the drain. Plus there is always something better out there, tempting a change and even more expense.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #3
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

TBH There is no better car than the 530D Sport - and wow if it is chipped..!!!! Maybe this is the trick.

Yes the 535i is better but you need to be loaded to run it.

Glad someone sort of agreed with me.

I had an E90 520D M Sport and it felt a lot lighter to throw around you know?

As a long term car the 530D has four doors - looks smart and so on... so agree.. but perhaps I either need to chip it in whilst they are rare and get something else, or buy a toy pocket rocket .....

The 530 was 33k 6 months ago - I think I would get £29.600 private sale as they are rare right now... and the loss of £4k in 6 months is not the end of the world.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2013, 04:51 AM   #4
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

I think there is that question of what else is better than a 530D - even clarkson said it was the most astonishing car ever. I might look at chipping to add some hilariousness.

Its hard cause you spend the money and then get nervous about putting miles on it - I even thought about buying a high mileage something and potter about in that.. but that is just madness when you calculate it up.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
jcamber
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

well a car is never an investment, is it? you probably have to come to grips with the fact that money will vanish while you own a car. More so with luxury/sports cars.

Sounds like what you're after is performance so I would go with a M3 non-convertible.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #6
Stormbitch
Lieutenant
Rep

Yes agreed - when the initial buzz comes off - you soon look on the drive and know your £35 will soon be £10k!

I borrowed my mate 320D 55k miles 2007 the other day and thought - I would stick miles and miles on that and feel nothing..

Its a hard game... sell the F10 pocket 10K and drive around in a 320D coupe for couple of years and then choose a 2 year old 4 series. Or stay.
Appreciate 0