2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Upgrade BMW F10 520d 2013 HU Champ 2

01-20-2024, 05:59 PM   #1
ACRA
ACRA
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520d

Upgrade BMW F10 520d 2013 HU Champ 2

Hello

I'm new here and I don't have knowledge in this area.
I have a BMW F10 520d 2013 HU Champ 2, with small screen/display and without navigation, as shown in photo. It has bluetooth connection for mobile phone, as two usb ports: one the central console, and other one USB port in the glove box.
I would like to upgrade to a head unit with navigation and a 10,25 display, but keeping my BMW subscriptions, Connect Drive Services and be able to manage the car with My BMW app.

Last seven digits from VIN: D045823

Thank you for your help.
Attached Images

Last edited by ACRA; 01-20-2024 at 06:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2024, 06:19 PM   #2
ACRA
ACRA
Rep

BMW F10 520d 2013 HU Champ 2 Upgrade

[QUOTE=ACRA;30831206]Hello

I'm new here and I don't have knowledge in this area.
I have a BMW F10 520d 2013 HU Champ 2, with small screen/display and without navigation, as shown in photo. It has bluetooth connection for mobile phone, as two usb ports: one the central console, and other one USB port in the glove box.
I would like to upgrade to a head unit with navigation and a 10,25 display, but keeping my BMW subscriptions, Connect Drive Services and be able to manage the car with My BMW app.

Last seven digits from VIN: D045823

Thank you for your help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 06:55 AM   #3
James_Kav
Rep
Drives: 2013 520d F10

List of parts

Hi,

I did this exact retrofit and installed an NBT (non-EVO) originally with a 10.25" screen. It was fairly straight forward as the CHAMP2 doesn't need the armrest USB to be turned 180 degrees etc. and it can still use the existing DAB and GPS aerial as is. (I had a COMBOX in the boot, do you have the same?) You can use the original controller, but I upgraded to the bigger controller from a later car. Again, you can retrofit the touch controller if you want that too.

You have to switch wires 17 & 22 for MIC1 to work, and then you need to code the new unit to your car using e-sys and an ENET cable. I used an emulator for this retrofit as it literally is plug and play, and you get to keep navigation etc. If the donor HU has more features from the factory, you can VO code these to the car.

I have just upgraded mine to an EVO, so I currently have an NBT HU High (609 Pro nav), and an immaculate 10.25" NBT screen that I will be selling. (I will put in the correct marketplace section on here and the popular auction site), but I am based in the UK, so not sure if this would be suitable for you.

I hope the above helps, and more than happy to answer any questions where I can
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2024, 05:51 PM   #4
ACRA
ACRA
Rep

Olá James,

Muito obrigado pela sua resposta e ajuda.

Pode informar-me se conseguiu manter BMW Services, serviços Connect Drive e poder gerenciar o carro com o aplicativo My BMW?

Last edited by ACRA; 02-20-2024 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2024, 02:21 PM   #5
cpr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520i

Hello James,

Recently I’ve installed a 10,25” CIC display with a navigation module on a 2012 F10.
Do you have a step by step on how i can code the new unit?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 04:51 PM   #6
James_Kav
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACRA View Post
Olá James,

Muito obrigado pela sua resposta e ajuda.

Pode informar-me se conseguiu manter BMW Services, serviços Connect Drive e poder gerenciar o carro com o aplicativo My BMW?
Hi,

No problem and I am sorry for the delay in replying!!

If you already have those services, use an emulator, which should work fine. If you go down the NBT EVO (ID5/6) route, it's a little more complicated. There are loads around that don't have the blue GPS fakra connector on the back, as the GPS signal on later 'F' series cars uses an ATM module. There are some units around from early 'G' series that do have the GPS connector on the back, but you pay a premium for these.

You can get these units coded to your VIN.

Hopefully that has answered a few questions you had
Appreciate 1
ACRA0.00
      02-20-2024, 04:58 PM   #7
James_Kav
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpr View Post
Hello James,

Recently I’ve installed a 10,25” CIC display with a navigation module on a 2012 F10.
Do you have a step by step on how i can code the new unit?

Thanks in advance.
Hi, I don't have a step-by-step guide, but there is a PDF floating around with details. I think it's an F11 the author did, but it shows you all the steps. There are loads of articles on this forum that detail the steps.

I'll see if I can find it. If you search for 'F10 NBT retrofit' and look through some of the older threads, you should find enough info about it. It's not difficult doing the coding, but you should try and read/understand what you are doing so you don't damage anything on the car!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 05:05 PM   #8
ACRA
ACRA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Kav View Post
Hi,

No problem and I am sorry for the delay in replying!!

If you already have those services, use an emulator, which should work fine. If you go down the NBT EVO (ID5/6) route, it's a little more complicated. There are loads around that don't have the blue GPS fakra connector on the back, as the GPS signal on later 'F' series cars uses an ATM module. There are some units around from early 'G' series that do have the GPS connector on the back, but you pay a premium for these.

You can get these units coded to your VIN.

Hopefully that has answered a few questions you had
Thank you very much. I just want a NBT.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 03:13 AM   #9
James_Kav
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACRA View Post
Thank you very much. I just want a NBT.
Cool. Try and find the latest NBT you can (HW v31), or an early NBT EVO ID4 with the blue GPS connector and use an emulator and you should be good to go!

Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 12:40 PM   #10
cloyolaq
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d F10 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Kav View Post
Hi,

I did this exact retrofit and installed an NBT (non-EVO) originally with a 10.25" screen. It was fairly straight forward as the CHAMP2 doesn't need the armrest USB to be turned 180 degrees etc. and it can still use the existing DAB and GPS aerial as is. (I had a COMBOX in the boot, do you have the same?) You can use the original controller, but I upgraded to the bigger controller from a later car. Again, you can retrofit the touch controller if you want that too.

You have to switch wires 17 & 22 for MIC1 to work, and then you need to code the new unit to your car using e-sys and an ENET cable. I used an emulator for this retrofit as it literally is plug and play, and you get to keep navigation etc. If the donor HU has more features from the factory, you can VO code these to the car.

I have just upgraded mine to an EVO, so I currently have an NBT HU High (609 Pro nav), and an immaculate 10.25" NBT screen that I will be selling. (I will put in the correct marketplace section on here and the popular auction site), but I am based in the UK, so not sure if this would be suitable for you.

I hope the above helps, and more than happy to answer any questions where I can
Hello, I want to do exactly the same. I bought the 10.25 inch screen, but I have not yet purchased another unit. My car has a champ2 with only connection to the display and antenna, but nothing else. My car is equipped with Bluetooth and also USB, but I don't know if these functions come from the radio itself or come from the combox. Can you guide me on which radio I should buy? Thank you so much.
Appreciate 0