2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 550i HEIGHT TOO LOW- CAN IT BE RAISED?

03-06-2019, 11:13 AM   #1
Bimmerroad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 550i xdrive

550i HEIGHT TOO LOW- CAN IT BE RAISED?

BMW 550i XDRIVE TOO LOW - CAN IT BE RAISED?

I am clueless when comes to this specific issue, Would like input from more experienced DIY owners or professionals (please).

My 2012 550i Xdrive M Sport - is too low, I happen to not like it, it gets in the way.

I know the arguments in favor of keeping it low, but it does not change what I want.

After you all yell at me for getting a low vehicle knowing that it does not pleases me(deservedly)....once the rage is expresse and out of your system , apart from telling me sell it and buy what I like, would you care to share with me and the world:

1- If I can raise it, DIY project? I am mechanically handy, I do most of the car work.
2- Possible to raise it without additional parts or major modifications? I know some cars have built in features to adjust height, If mine has, it is not obvious, still has the original OEM set up.
3- Any potential downside? (mechanically wise) disregard any performance and comfort related issues, these are not a concern.
4- If makes any difference it has a set of 19” tires/wheels, I have no intention of adding different sets of wheels.
5- If raising is an option, would like to know your opinion if it might be too overwhelming and likely to turn into a disaster for a DIY.

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #2
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerroad View Post

I am clueless when comes to this specific issue, Would like input from more experienced DIY owners or professionals (please).

My 2012 550i Xdrive M Sport - is too low, I happen to not like it, it gets in the way.

I know the arguments in favor of keeping it low, but it does not change what I want.

After you all yell at me for getting a low vehicle knowing that it does not pleases me(deservedly)....once the rage is expresse and out of your system , apart from telling me sell it and buy what I like, would you care to share with me and the world:

1- If I can raise it, DIY project? I am mechanically handy, I do most of the car work.
2- Possible to raise it without additional parts or major modifications? I know some cars have built in features to adjust height, If mine has, it is not obvious, still has the original OEM set up.
3- Any potential downside? (mechanically wise) disregard any performance and comfort related issues, these are not a concern.
4- If makes any difference it has a set of 19” tires/wheels, I have no intention of adding different sets of wheels.
5- If raising is an option, would like to know your opinion if it might be too overwhelming and likely to turn into a disaster for a DIY.

Thank you
From what I've seen and read...

1: Most likely.
2: Depends on how high you want to go. An inch? Probably not. More than an inch? probably
3: Excess wear on suspension. Raising will have the same (though in the opposite direction) effect as lowering. Will probably upset the transfer case and other AWD components.
4: Shouldn't matter. That said, a higher sidewall will raise the car a little and give a smoother ride. It will also mess with the speedometer. If I understand correctly, as long as the tires/wheels are the same height the AWD system will be happy.
5: Should be pretty straight-forward. Watch a few YouTube's on lifting trucks. It's the same basic principle.

That said, depending on how high you want to go, you'll have to fabricate your own parts; UNLESS there is a lift kit available. There are simple things you can purchase at any auto parts store, but those are suspect, IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 07:29 PM   #3
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
You may be the first person that wants to raise an xDrive F10. Is it possible that you purchased your car with an already lowered suspension? If so, then you could raise it by re-installing some stock springs.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 11:23 PM   #4
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

can you post some pictures of your car as well as the suspension? so we can see what you consider too low? if your car is still equipped OEM suspension than your the first to complain about a stock car sitting too low
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 08:39 AM   #5
Bimmerroad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 550i xdrive

There is always one out there

I can, but with one condition, you will have something to add concerning my questions., you may add your comments of disbelief first if you wish.

As mentioned, I accept some raving criticism and even some outrage from others that may find absurd that I want to raise an F10, I fully understand the anger and disbelief...but once you learn to accept or at least tolerate such despicable act against humanity and BMW add your 2 cents even if disgusted

I will try to minimize the negative impression (if at all possible)

I drive in NYC things here are not very even, even a small hardened snow bank can cause damages to the F10, additionally even Parking in some leveled Mall parking lot the fenders are likely to get caught in some low invisible barrier.

In NYC I can’t drive over 25 miles anyway unless I wake up in early Sunday Morning and hit one or two expressway yet to be turned into a Parking lot.

As you may notice my very very very sad drama, I am a victim here and not the offending party, you have no idea how much I suffered and have cried over the consideration to raise an F10, I know I may even be offending some entities and may pay dearly for it, not forgetting my fellow humans beings that will feel betrayed and insulted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
can you post some pictures of your car as well as the suspension? so we can see what you consider too low? if your car is still equipped OEM suspension than your the first to complain about a stock car sitting too low
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 09:25 AM   #6
ReluctantRenegade
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F11 520d

Quote:
I do not have an answer for your question, however, I would strongly advise against lowering/raising the suspension of any car.

In all modern cars lot of R&D goes into finding the perfect harmony between the different components. Lowering/raising the suspension would seriously throw off that carefully calculated balance causing premature wear on various parts and would seriously jeopardize not just your comfort, but also your safety.

If this is an important issue for you (and it seems it is), you're better off with a higher riding car (an SUV perhaps).
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 11:20 AM   #7
ChiNorm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 535xi

What is the mileage on the car? If high miles, the springs might be sagging. If so, a fresh set of springs would solve the problem.

What is the current gap between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fender? Did you buy the car used or new? If used, you might, as others have suggested, have a car that has been lowered.

As others have suggested, going higher than stock is asking for trouble.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 11:22 AM   #8
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Bimmerroad, moving past your outrage (whether it is real or in jest), we are simply trying to understand what you are starting with in order to offer better advice on what you have asked. As you have not posted pictures of your car, I'll offer a couple of mine, showing my 535xi before and after it was lowered. Is your 550xi closer in ride height, today, to my first or second picture?

Before lowering, with summer wheels:
Name:  1_IMG_7706.JPG
Views: 1017
Size:  1.22 MB

After lowering, with winter wheels:
Name:  2_IMG_4386.jpeg
Views: 1008
Size:  932.3 KB
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 11:36 PM   #9
windowmaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i M Sport 6MT

It's totally understandable that you might want to raise the car if your routine requires driving in conditions where your car risks scraping or bottoming out. The F10 is a beautiful car and it's tough to find a good balance sometimes.

I'm curious if you want an all-the-time raise or if you're flexible to installing on-the-fly lifting mods. I've come across suspension options in the past that allow you to raise the suspension with the flip of a switch for things like speed bumps or when you know you need it. Maybe others may be able to post some links for this sort of thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 11:46 PM   #10
windowmaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 550i M Sport 6MT

Found it
Front 2 wheel hydraulic lift
https://www.kwsuspensions.com/produc...-19299299.html
4 wheel
https://www.kwsuspensions.com/produc...-19299499.html

Good luck.