2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum More pics of my F10

04-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #45
bimmernic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 (523)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
hi Rich, from below, the chassis tightens with dynamic drive in sport mode. Is the suspension not affected?

Dynamic Driving Control.
How would you like to drive today? Dynamic Driving Control, fitted as standard, gives you total control to meet your or your passengers' needs in the BMW 5 Series Sedan.
A touch of the paddle next to the gearshift lever changes the level of driving pleasure from NORMAL to SPORT: the engine responds more spontaneously to the accelerator and the eight-speed transmission Steptronic lets the engine rev high before quickly changing up a gear. At the same time the steering and chassis tighten. Touch the paddle again to enter the SPORT + mode where the Dynamic Stability Control allows controlled drifting to the limit.

The COMFORT mode is available with Dynamic Damping Control which provides both the driver and passengers with maximum comfort on longer journeys.
To quote the BMW GB press release on Dynamic Driving Control on what they mean when they say that the "chassis tightens":

"All this is made possible by Dynamic Drive Control which, in conjunction with the optional Sport Automatic, Integral Active Steering and Dynamic Damper Control or, respectively, Adaptive Drive, comes as standard on the BMW 5 Series Sedan.

Dynamic Drive Control masterminds the progressive action of the gas pedal, the response of the engine, the steering assistance map, the thresholds of DSC Dynamic Stability Control and, where fitted, also the dynamic gearshift of the automatic transmission and the control map on Dynamic Damper Control."

And, here is where it gets rather confusing and possibly where the PR scriptwriter may have glossed over the difference between adaptive and non-adaptive dampers:

"The driver is able to set the suspension configuration he prefers simply by pressing a button on the centre console, using a toggle switch to choose among the NORMAL, SPORT and SPORT+ modes. In conjunction with Dynamic Damper Control and, respectively, Adaptive Drive, there is also the COMFORT mode for a particularly smooth style of motoring."

On the standard suspension, AFAIK, the dampers are mechanical and are not electronically controlled. As such, it should not be possible for the "Sport" mode on the Dynamic Driving Control to alter the damping characteristics or the suspension configuration, contrary to what is being implied in the press release .
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #46
gorban
Second Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F11 520xdAT, E87 120dM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfnc View Post
To quote the BMW GB press release on Dynamic Driving Control on what they mean when they say that the "chassis tightens":

"All this is made possible by Dynamic Drive Control which, in conjunction with the optional Sport Automatic, Integral Active Steering and Dynamic Damper Control or, respectively, Adaptive Drive, comes as standard on the BMW 5 Series Sedan.

Dynamic Drive Control masterminds the progressive action of the gas pedal, the response of the engine, the steering assistance map, the thresholds of DSC Dynamic Stability Control and, where fitted, also the dynamic gearshift of the automatic transmission and the control map on Dynamic Damper Control."

And, here is where it gets rather confusing and possibly where the PR scriptwriter may have glossed over the difference between adaptive and non-adaptive dampers:

"The driver is able to set the suspension configuration he prefers simply by pressing a button on the centre console, using a toggle switch to choose among the NORMAL, SPORT and SPORT+ modes. In conjunction with Dynamic Damper Control and, respectively, Adaptive Drive, there is also the COMFORT mode for a particularly smooth style of motoring."

On the standard suspension, AFAIK, the dampers are mechanical and are not electronically controlled. As such, it should not be possible for the "Sport" mode on the Dynamic Driving Control to alter the damping characteristics or the suspension configuration, contrary to what is being implied in the press release .
Yes, I have also been wondering how on earth you can tighten the chassi with the ordinary suspension. A little to much marketing language as you suggest.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2010, 02:36 PM   #47
Erasmus
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 528i F10

Quote:
thanks for the info, ksquare

ps for a pricey HK$28k what is the dynamic drive coupled with? dynamic damping? This is about the price for dynamic damping and dynamic drive in Singapore.
To make this discussion even more complicated I've checked the Dutch configurator. A standard F10 with sport steering wheel and the standard 8-automatic doesn't have any switch button (from the interior picture of the car configurator). But if you then alter this standard automatic transmission into the sports transmission (incl. the paddles) a button is included (switch between sport / normal).

04-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #48
Rich535d
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 525d F10 auto

Garage List
2010 525d SE  [0.00]
Quote:
hi Rich, from below, the chassis tightens with dynamic drive in sport mode. Is the suspension not affected?

Dynamic Driving Control.
How would you like to drive today? Dynamic Driving Control, fitted as standard, gives you total control to meet your or your passengers' needs in the BMW 5 Series Sedan.
A touch of the paddle next to the gearshift lever changes the level of driving pleasure from NORMAL to SPORT: the engine responds more spontaneously to the accelerator and the eight-speed transmission Steptronic lets the engine rev high before quickly changing up a gear. At the same time the steering and chassis tighten. Touch the paddle again to enter the SPORT + mode where the Dynamic Stability Control allows controlled drifting to the limit.

The currently active mode is permanently displayed underneath the speedometer, and in the SPORT mode the drive train and chassis settings can be quickly and individually configured using the iDrive Controller for dynamic driving on badly surfaced roads for example.

The COMFORT mode is available with Dynamic Damping Control which provides both the driver and passengers with maximum comfort on longer journeys.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicle...trol.html#more

ps But you're probably right cos using the bmwuk configurator, the addition of the sport steering wheel, and upgrade from 8 speed auto to 8 speed sport auto costs only about sterling 220. From the configurator, it appears that 8 speed auto only will not have dynamic drive.

But if so, I've a problem with ksquare's posts above
I've read the BMW webpage...I too can't see how the chassis can tighten (many of my passengers have claimed parts of their anatomy have tightened due to my driving) without variable dampers. I may be wrong, but can't see it. You can configure the sport setting to be either 'drivetrain', 'chassis' or both. I have selected both. The gearbox changes are quite obvious; the steering feels more positive, but I have not noticed any suspension changes.
      04-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #49
bm323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 12.2 E92 M3 ZCP; 12.7 C63

Getting more interesting

I would like to have my f10 handle more like my e90, rather firm and minimal body roll. My e90 is not on m sport suspension which is ok for my wife and I I was hoping that dynamic drive would enable me to tighten the chassis in sport mode when I feel like it, but it appears this is not going to happen. I do not not wish my f10 drive like a comfortable Merc with less feedback.

Comments on whether I should have VDC/dynamic damping? Roads in Singapore are generally smooth. But does VDC/dynamic damping tighten the chassis in sport mode (since dynamic drive alone in sport mode doesn't)? If so, it is an important factor for me to take the VDC option which costs about Euro 2,400.

I'm not too keen to take adaptive drive as it costs a total of about Euro 5,500 (it has to be bundled with VDC/dynamic damping here).
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 04:11 AM   #50
carl_d
General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport N55 6SP Nov10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
To make this discussion even more complicated I've checked the Dutch configurator. A standard F10 with sport steering wheel and the standard 8-automatic doesn't have any switch button (from the interior picture of the car configurator). But if you then alter this standard automatic transmission into the sports transmission (incl. the paddles) a button is included (switch between sport / normal).

This makes sense. Using the configurator on bmw.de you cannot spec M-Sport suspension with any other chassis option! The choice then, is normal suspension with trick add-ons or lowered M-Sport. (bm323 spotted this - thanks)

BTW - bmw.co.uk does not offer M-Sport suspension!?!?!?
2010 E90 335i M-Sport, 2005 E90 325i M-Sport, 2003 E60 520i, 2002 E46 330i Sport II, 2000 E46 325i Sport I, 1999 E46 318i, 1998 E46 323i SE, 1996 E36 323i SE, 1996 E34 518i, 1995 E36 320iA, 1994 E36 316i

Last edited by carl_d; 04-12-2010 at 05:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 04:13 AM   #51
carl_d
General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Getting more interesting

I would like to have my f10 handle more like my e90, rather firm and minimal body roll. My e90 is not on m sport suspension which is ok for my wife and I I was hoping that dynamic drive would enable me to tighten the chassis in sport mode when I feel like it, but it appears this is not going to happen. I do not not wish my f10 drive like a comfortable Merc with less feedback.

Comments on whether I should have VDC/dynamic damping? Roads in Singapore are generally smooth. But does VDC/dynamic damping tighten the chassis in sport mode (since dynamic drive alone in sport mode doesn't)? If so, it is an important factor for me to take the VDC option which costs about Euro 2,400.

I'm not too keen to take adaptive drive as it costs a total of about Euro 5,500 (it has to be bundled with VDC/dynamic damping here).
I'd go for just VDC in your case.
2010 E90 335i M-Sport, 2005 E90 325i M-Sport, 2003 E60 520i, 2002 E46 330i Sport II, 2000 E46 325i Sport I, 1999 E46 318i, 1998 E46 323i SE, 1996 E36 323i SE, 1996 E34 518i, 1995 E36 320iA, 1994 E36 316i
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 04:55 AM   #52
bm323
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl_d View Post
I'd go for just VDC in your case.
Thanks, can you pls elaborate on the reasons?
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 05:28 AM   #53
carl_d
General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, can you pls elaborate on the reasons?
Best you get a test drive in both (VDC and non-VDC). Note I have not driven either yet! My opion is based solely on logic, the wifes E60, driving an M-Sport e90 and what I have read to date about the F10. I'm waiting for the full M-Sport package. Here are my thoughts:
  1. You have made it clear than M-Sport would be too hard.
  2. All the tests with VDC equiped cars on 18" wheels, not just F10's but also Z4's, prasie the ride and handling!
  3. I would avoid the other chassis tricks - too complex and will add "remoteness"
  4. Fianlly, if you okay with 17" wheels then slip VDC.
  5. You could also condider M-Sport with 17" wheels?

Last edited by carl_d; 04-12-2010 at 05:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 05:40 AM   #54
bm323
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Best you get a test drive in both (VDC and non-VDC). Note I have not driven either yet! My opion is based solely on logic, the wifes E60, driving an M-Sport e90 and what I have read to date about the F10. I'm waiting for the full M-Sport package. Here are my thoughts:
  2. All the tests with VDC equiped cars on 18" wheels, not just F10's but also Z4's, prasie the ride and handling!
  3. I would avoid the other chassis tricks - too complex and will add "remoteness"
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #55
Erasmus
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 528i F10

Quote:

@carl_d, comment on the second bullet: Note that the 523i car from Autoweek NL was on a standard suspension (without any switch button, so no VDC), and the handling was great. I really, really wonder if all these electronics are worthwile. Certaintly not for the current E60 drivers (who are used to a harsh ride -> great for your anatomy ....
      04-12-2010, 09:30 PM   #56
bm323
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erasmus View Post
@carl_d, comment on the second bullet: Note that the 523i car from Autoweek NL was on a standard suspension (without any switch button, so no VDC), and the handling was great. I really, really wonder if all these electronics are worthwile. Certaintly not for the current E60 drivers (who are used to a harsh ride -> great for your anatomy ....
Thanks Erasmus, I've checked Autoweek's NV review and have been pondering over it together with the other reviews. Just got sms from my sales agent that I need to decide on my option. Confirmed now won't get to test drive any f10 before deciding.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 08:24 AM   #57
rori zahr
AristoCat
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: M2

anyone other than me thinks that the new 5 series front end "kidneys area" looks more like a Volvo rather than a BMW?
      04-14-2010, 04:39 PM   #58
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Having driven an F10 with Dynamic Drive, the active stabilisers (roll bars), do allow the chassis to be tightened up, on the sport settings. Completely flattens the cornering and helps settle the car.

Dynamic Drive Control here in the UK, 'tightens' the chassis and suspension when you have the added Dynamic Drive and/or VDC. Combined, is called Adaptive Drive. The brochure clearly spells this out as well.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 06:37 PM   #59
bm323
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Having driven an F10 with Dynamic Drive, the active stabilisers (roll bars), do allow the chassis to be tightened up, on the sport settings. Completely flattens the cornering and helps settle the car.

Dynamic Drive Control here in the UK, 'tightens' the chassis and suspension when you have the added Dynamic Drive and/or VDC. Combined, is called Adaptive Drive. The brochure clearly spells this out as well.

HighlandPete
If I can have VDC option alone without taking the dynamic drive/antiroll bar option, can the chassis and suspension be tightened as you say?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2010, 08:45 PM   #60
sfbayguy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coming in June: F10 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rori zahr View Post
anyone other than me thinks that the new 5 series front end "kidneys area" looks more like a Volvo rather than a BMW?
Nope, not to me. Very BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2010, 01:26 AM   #61
rori zahr
AristoCat
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: M2

only from a side view, I don't know why it makes think of a volvo.
glad I'm the only one :-)
      04-15-2010, 06:20 AM   #62
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
If I can have VDC option alone without taking the dynamic drive/antiroll bar option, can the chassis and suspension be tightened as you say?
Answered your post in the other thread. I'm must say, I'm not sure what is happening to make the chassis feel so different, when you push the sport button. If just stiffening up the steering, translates to such better control, choosing/getting the specs right for these cars will be a big exercise.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0