2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion Report: BMW to supply Jaguar with Twin-Turbo V8s

07-28-2016, 08:07 AM   #67
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M3 CRT View Post
First I was also on your way for an new BMW V8 ... based on the "Baukasten" cylinder - meens in reality 2 B48 2.0ltr.R4s put together to create an new 4.0ltr.V8.
Well, if they were trying to make a more compact engine, then they would use the smaller bore size (as Audi and Mercedes do for their 4.0L turbocharged V8s). But if they are reducing displacement for other reasons, its obviously much cheaper to just use the existing block and simply change bore and/or stroke.

Quote:
But my source says like the normaly well informed Georg Kacher of Automobile that the new V8 would be based on / be an variant of the N/S63. Since it is clear, that the N74 - with the same cylinder layout as the N63 - will stay in the BMW Portfolio for the luxury car branch,
It's true that the N74 shares the 98mm bore center and they intend to keep that engine > 6L, at least for the foreseeable future. But, obviously there are greater economies of scale to benefit from with the V8 sharing parts from the I3, I4, and I6 than from the V12.

Quote:
it make also sence to base an new 4.0ltr.V8 on the N/S63 block and that could only meen to reduce the stroke to reach the 4.0 instead of reduce the bore.
As pointed out earlier in the thread, there is already a 4.0L N63 used in some countries where taxation is based on displacement and would rise sharply for an engine > 4.0L. So they will more than likely simply use the same bore/stroke as that engine uses today, if they intend to stick with the current block.

Quote:
For an new M5 this would be an much better / sportier engine layout than any new engine based on the B engine Family.
I don't think this engine is going to rev high regardless of the stroke length. They will use the same formula as Audi and Mercedes. This is not going to be like the V8 used in McLaren's lineup of supercars (unfortunately) .

And by the way, I strongly doubt we'll see this engine in the F90 M5 anyway - I think they'll stick with 4.4L for now. I guess it could happen mid-cycle, but I'd say that's unlikely.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2016, 11:59 AM   #68
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR
Quote:
Originally Posted by goj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdecisive
Dear jaguar..

RIP amazing sounding V8's..

Sincerely, everyone who used to love BMW M noises.
It's all in the exhaust tuning
Not true, you can tune the sound of the engine with exhaust, not change it. BMW's exhaust manifold arrangement is what is responsible for the current N63/S63 soundtrack, you can only tune the sound from there, not change it to sound like any other V8
When did I say change it to sound like any other V8? I say "it's all in the exhaust tuning" and you say "not true, you can tune the sound of the engine with exhaust, not change it" - what's not true? I said essential the same thing.

My opinion is that ///M exhausts sound mediocre on on purpose to sell you the m performance parts. ///M should make the the stock exhaust sound as good as possible just like AMG makes the effort to do
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 0