2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK F10, 19" wheels, tyre mileage?

11-13-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

F10, 19" wheels, tyre mileage?

Evening all.
Contemplating tyres. I have done nearly 30k miles on my original tyres, and I have noticed that the outer edges on the front tyres are a little scrubbed down, although 90% of the tread has a few more mm to the markers.

Is 30k miles good? It is compared to my Lotus, but that is slightly different and wanted to know other peoples experience/mileage got.
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #2
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Yeah that's pretty good, I get around 20k for the front and less on the rear. However I drive the car hard...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2015, 04:20 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I'm on 20000 miles so far on mine with still plenty of wear remaining.
Obviously depends how you drive it and tyres you have. I have a Michellin Primacy on my 19" wheels.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 08:42 AM   #4
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-Sport Prof Media

33,000 and my rear left (19" run flat Goodyear excellence) let go Friday night. I figured it was a puncture since there was still several mm tread visible, but when the wheel was removed I could see the inside tread was long gone.

Tyre fitter told me this is what he sees on 5 series; inner wear on the rear and outer wear on the front and it's not a tracking issue, it's just the way they wear. I assume he knows what he is talking about.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 09:57 AM   #5
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Bake View Post
33,000 and my rear left (19" run flat Goodyear excellence) let go Friday night. I figured it was a puncture since there was still several mm tread visible, but when the wheel was removed I could see the inside tread was long gone.

Tyre fitter told me this is what he sees on 5 series; inner wear on the rear and outer wear on the front and it's not a tracking issue, it's just the way they wear. I assume he knows what he is talking about.
Makes sense, I think mine are Gooyear RFT's. Now, replace with RFT's or not is the next question....my E60 19's had non RFT's fitted and were less firm, but wore quicker...
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake n Bake View Post

Inner rear wear has been a BMW trait for years, particularly with sport suspension calibration, RFTs just make it worse. Rear camber and toe settings are quite aggressive. The tyre fitter is correct about outer front wear as well.

My own tyre wear on the 535i, 18" Continental Sport Contact 3 SSR, about 20,000 miles for the set. I've never rotated tyres on a BMW before, but as this car has same size on all corners, decided I'd do so as an experiment and see if there were any driving negatives, also see if wear could be better controlled both front and rear.

I did manage to run them down pretty even, and replaced with around 3mm. The inner edges on the rear (when I changed tyres) were just getting knocked off as I'd expect and experienced with BMW over the years.

You also have to be careful with pressures, to get a balance of wear. I have always set pressures to balance inner and centre wear on the rears, outer and centre wear on the fronts. Run too low and inner rear wear simply accelerates.

Here is an example of a rear tyre off of my 330d.

Note how the inner edge (foreground) is wearing due to camber, the wear towards the outside of the tyre from the toe setting.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 01:27 PM   #7
shiner
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 535D MSport Touring

26000 on mine from new and rears about due for swapping. Plenty left on front. That said I am not always accelerating away and slamming on the brakes.

Does anyone swap front for rear their tyres anymore like the good old days to give even wear??

2013 Z4 35is + tons of options. CURRENT
Appreciate 0