2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Buying Advice 530D Luxury

02-16-2015, 06:03 AM   #1
MalithS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 LCI 530D Luxury

Buying Advice 530D Luxury

Hi All,

Need some advice and opinions on buying a new F10 530D. I've currently got a 2010 F10 520D which I've had for about 3.5 years now and my PCP deal is coming to an end at the end of the year. My dealer rang me up last week and said they have some very good offers on so I popped over yesteray to have a look. Basically I was looking to go upto a 530D with some more toys than I have and after talking with the dealer they offered me a car they have on order that almost meets my spec with about 20% off the retail price however it has some options that I dont really want or need. Looking at the forum and I found Broadspeed were doing some very good deals on 530Ds so I was thinking of going back to the dealers and decline on the car they offered me but ask what they could do for a new one to my specs:

I was thinking of the following:

530D Luxury - Always wanted to upgrade from 520D for the extra power/torque
18 Inch wheels - I have 19s now and think the ride is a bit too firm and I dont like the look of the 17s on the 5 as the car is too big for 17s.
Imperial Blue or metallic black
Oyster/Black interior - have it now on my car
Sport Auto - have this now and love it
HUD - always wanted it
Powered boot - always wanted it
Sunroof - Mrs wants it
Folding mirrors - have it now
High gloss shadowline - Mrs wants it
Sun protection - have it now. would I be better off getting windows tinted my self and save the 345?
Split folding rear seat - dont have it now and wished I had it
Sport seats - I like this over standard seats. Not fussed about electric seats. Does anyone think the electric memory seats offer more comfort?
multi function display - love it and want it
speed limit display - Mrs likes it.
Service inclusive - must have
Loudspeaker advanced - is this worth the extra 445 over standard? I dont want to shell out for Harman Kardon system at 800. Im not a audiophile but would like a decent sound system. Having a small child mostly we end up listening to nursery rhymes

would like VDC but my budget wont go that far. Honestly I havent experienced a VDC car so dont know how big an impact it makes.

opted not to have LED adaptive lights (very expensive) since zenons are now standard and I dont do a lot of night driving.

I need to get all that with about 22-23% off the retail price to make it fit the monthly PCP budget I have it mind.

The PX offer I got for my current car after deducting my outstanding finance comes to 0. I owe £13.7k and dealer said they would value at 12.7 because of alloy scuffs/minor scratches on bumber etc but would be willing to make the difference 0. My current car is a 520D with 50k miles, sport auto, dynamic pack (19inch wheels etc), folding mirrors, prof nav, visibility pack. Does this sound like a fair PX offer?

Thanks
MalithS
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 06:27 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalithS View Post
Hi All,

Need some advice and opinions on buying a new F10 530D. I've currently got a 2010 F10 520D which I've had for about 3.5 years now and my PCP deal is coming to an end at the end of the year. My dealer rang me up last week and said they have some very good offers on so I popped over yesteray to have a look. Basically I was looking to go upto a 530D with some more toys than I have and after talking with the dealer they offered me a car they have on order that almost meets my spec with about 20% off the retail price however it has some options that I dont really want or need. Looking at the forum and I found Broadspeed were doing some very good deals on 530Ds so I was thinking of going back to the dealers and decline on the car they offered me but ask what they could do for a new one to my specs:

I was thinking of the following:

530D Luxury - Always wanted to upgrade from 520D for the extra power/torque
18 Inch wheels - I have 19s now and think the ride is a bit too firm and I dont like the look of the 17s on the 5 as the car is too big for 17s.
Imperial Blue or metallic black
Oyster/Black interior - have it now on my car
Sport Auto - have this now and love it
HUD - always wanted it
Powered boot - always wanted it
Sunroof - Mrs wants it
Folding mirrors - have it now
High gloss shadowline - Mrs wants it
Sun protection - have it now. would I be better off getting windows tinted my self and save the 345?
Split folding rear seat - dont have it now and wished I had it
Sport seats - I like this over standard seats. Not fussed about electric seats. Does anyone think the electric memory seats offer more comfort?
multi function display - love it and want it
speed limit display - Mrs likes it.
Service inclusive - must have
Loudspeaker advanced - is this worth the extra 445 over standard? I dont want to shell out for Harman Kardon system at 800. Im not a audiophile but would like a decent sound system. Having a small child mostly we end up listening to nursery rhymes

would like VDC but my budget wont go that far. Honestly I havent experienced a VDC car so dont know how big an impact it makes.

opted not to have LED adaptive lights (very expensive) since zenons are now standard and I dont do a lot of night driving.

I need to get all that with about 22-23% off the retail price to make it fit the monthly PCP budget I have it mind.

The PX offer I got for my current car after deducting my outstanding finance comes to 0. I owe £13.7k and dealer said they would value at 12.7 because of alloy scuffs/minor scratches on bumber etc but would be willing to make the difference 0. My current car is a 520D with 50k miles, sport auto, dynamic pack (19inch wheels etc), folding mirrors, prof nav, visibility pack. Does this sound like a fair PX offer?

Thanks
MalithS
My opinion I that if they are happy to offer 20% this car, they should be able to offer 20% of a new car to your exact. spec. Reading these forums, 20% seems to be the target discount to aim for. I'd go for new and get exactly what you want - just my opinion of course!

530d lovely engine, have one myself and personally think it is a lot better than the 520d in terms of refinement and just feels effortless.

HUD well worth it, I wouldn't get a car without one now.
Re seats, I have sport seats with full electric memory, however in restro spect, the comfort seats are about the same price as adding full electric to them. If I were buying again, I'd seriously consider comfort seats, they get reviews here on these forums.

Got the middle hifi, and its good but certainly room for improvement. A good compromise as the HK one is rather expensive.

Good luck deciding.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 07:25 AM   #3
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Hi All,

Need some advice and opinions on buying a new F10 530D.
My top list items:

1) Adaptive Drive (or at least VDC)
2) HUD

Item 1 well worth the expense; even if you are just a slightly enthusiastic driver !

(experience from having bought 3 F10s in the last 3 years; 520, 535, 535.)
      02-16-2015, 08:48 AM   #4
Piers
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 F10 535d M-Sport

Trouble is, once you have had one, and you want to have exactly what you want for the second one, go for exactly what you want.

I had the same quandary when I bought my current one, save a few k and have a ready specced car, or exactly what I wanted for a few k more. I have never regretted my decision so far.

One thing I would say....aftermarket tints on 5 series can look very chavy, it is immediately obvious if done cheaply, and will cost around £350 to get done properly, so let BMW do it from the factory.

Not sure how much memory seats are, but I like the idea of them. If a lot, the electric multi way adjustable ones I have in the MSport are already brilliant, it is only if my wife drives it and moves them around!
2017 F10 535d MSport Auto - Mineral Grey - Oyster leather - 19" 351M's - Pro Media - Enhanced bluetooth - MSport rear spoiler - Sun protection glass - Harman Kardon Hifi - Multi Function Display - Ambient Lighting - Folding mirrors - Sunroof - LED adaptive headlights
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 01:11 PM   #5
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

Keep pushing on the discount. I got week over 25% off on a factory order the other week.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #6
Pottsy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
My top list items:

1) Adaptive Drive (or at least VDC)
2) HUD

Item 1 well worth the expense; even if you are just a slightly enthusiastic driver !

(experience from having bought 3 F10s in the last 3 years; 520, 535, 535.)
This.

Adaptive drive is a must for me - I'd drop everything else in order to keep AD. It makes the car comfortable when it should be, and great round corners too.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2015, 02:07 PM   #7
jakartakid
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport AW/Cinnamon

As mentioned above, aftermarket tints will cost nearly as much and won't be as good as factory. Also, get exactly what you want, if you don't you will always regret it and possibly end up spending more trying to retro fit if that's eve possible. I wish I had specified folding seats but too late now.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2015, 02:56 PM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottsy View Post
This.

Adaptive drive is a must for me - I'd drop everything else in order to keep AD. It makes the car comfortable when it should be, and great round corners too.
I agree, AD is top of my options list, for me make the 5-series a better driving/riding/handling machine. Many users prefer other options, are willing to compromise on the ride and handling.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2015, 06:05 PM   #9
MalithS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the replies all. After a discussion with the dealer today they offered pretty much the same sort of discount for my exact spec as well. Works out around 21% ish I think but it still needs to be lower to meet what I want. Dealer said thats all they can do and anymore movement would have to be me dropping the spec a bit or upping my deposit. So for now I have stuck to my figure. Lets see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 02:59 AM   #10
MalithS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi,

Does anyone know if speed limit display is something that you can code to enable or does it have to be ordered?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 05:34 AM   #11
Pottsy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535d MSport

It needs a camera, so unless you have something else that has caused the camera to be installed, then no it can't just be coded.

I find the SLI to be quite unreliable. It likes to read all sorts of signs, many of which are not your speed limit. But when it does work, the HUD/SLI combo is excellent and just never need to look down.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 06:01 AM   #12
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Quote:
It needs a camera, so unless you have something else that has caused the camera to be installed, then no it can't just be coded.

I find the SLI to be quite unreliable. It likes to read all sorts of signs, many of which are not your speed limit. But when it does work, the HUD/SLI combo is excellent and just never need to look down.
yeh its not 100% but in general I find it ok. Some roads it reports as being 60mph limit when its 30 , but I think might just be inco9rrect data on the map (as opposed to reading a sign). It can also read a sign on a parallel road rather than the road you are on.
It does however read the temporary speed sign on the gantries on the M25.

its an ok accessory but if pushed for budget, perhaps one to drop for something else.

It also includes no overtaking display although that has never worked for me personally.Driven past a no overtaking road sign and SLI never picks it up.(2012 model) Others have reported it working, may be down to certain software levels possibly?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 08:50 AM   #13
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Quote:
Even then it can't. If you have a KAFAS2 camera (used for VLD function of HBA) then you need an FSC code which is unavailable in the community.

The earlier KAFAS camera can be coded but that won't come on a new car.
Previous: 2018 A6 Avant S-Line MMI+, 2014 F31 320d M-Sport, 2013 F10 520d M-Sport, 2011 F10 530d M-Sport, 2008 320i M-Sport Coupe, 2002 325i, 2001 318i valvetronic, 1998 318i, 1996 525i, 1990 Porsche 944S2
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 09:46 AM   #14
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi,

Does anyone know if speed limit display is something that you can code to enable or does it have to be ordered?
You are better of ordering it. There was a time when this could be coded if you had the 'older' KAFAS camera (as part of some other package). Obtaining a FSC code for Speed Limit is nigh impossible nowadays - so best bet is to order it with your new car.

If you have the latest NAV maps and the LCI; the SLI is very very accurate.
I have had SLI in my last 3 F10s, (2 of them are LCI's); and I do not recall it failing. It even picks up temporary no-entry signs.

My experience is that is very accurate and combined with the HUD - I hardly ever look at the speedo/ dashboard.
      02-17-2015, 10:01 AM   #15
MalithS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi,

Thanks for the info. So it looks like best to keep SLI. I do like this feature even if it gets it wrong some time I think it would be nice with the HUD. Looks like there aren't any options I can drop so will have to see how desperate the dealer is to sell me a car

No calls from the dealer today. I hope they havent given up on me
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 10:42 AM   #16
jakartakid
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport AW/Cinnamon

It's a game of nerves, whoever flinches first looses. In the meantime I would be phoning round, you may find another dealer gives a more generous px valuation.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 10:04 AM   #17
Anad
Rep
Drives: 2014MY F10 520D Luxury

Quote:
Thanks for the replies all. After a discussion with the dealer today they offered pretty much the same sort of discount for my exact spec as well. Works out around 21% ish I think but it still needs to be lower to meet what I want. Dealer said thats all they can do and anymore movement would have to be me dropping the spec a bit or upping my deposit. So for now I have stuck to my figure. Lets see what they say.
I have the new 520d luxury with no extras other than metallic, ref your comment on dropping the spec and your possible need for a powered boot. One push of the remote control and the boot lid opens fully by itself, not hard work pulling it back down by hand.
(Sorry if you already know this and they all do it, i'm new to BM's)
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 10:20 AM   #18
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anad View Post
I have the new 520d luxury with no extras other than metallic, ref your comment on dropping the spec and your possible need for a powered boot. One push of the remote control and the boot lid opens fully by itself, not hard work pulling it back down by hand.
What you need is the powered boot with Comfort access. The boot can then be opened/ closed by just dangling a leg under the boot - very cool feature especially if your hands are full of bags/stuff and the road/floor is wet. Works like a charm !
      02-18-2015, 06:23 PM   #19
MalithS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anad View Post
Hi Anad,

Yes I do know about the boot as I have a 520D already. What I am after is the powered close as I find it a pain to try and shut the boot especially when you have picked up a few bags from the boot. The standard boot is not that easy to pull down and requires a bit of force to slam down.

On another note does anyone know what the smokers package is? What happens when you remove the smokers package?

Also what is the difference between enhanced bluetooth and standard? The luxury comes with Pro Nav and voice control so I dont understand what is different to the enhanced bluetooth?

Anyone think the 4 zone air con is any good? I am sort of tempted but not sure about it.

MalithS
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 02:28 AM   #20
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Hi Anad,

Yes I do know about the boot as I have a 520D already. What I am after is the powered close as I find it a pain to try and shut the boot especially when you have picked up a few bags from the boot. The standard boot is not that easy to pull down and requires a bit of force to slam down.

On another note does anyone know what the smokers package is? What happens when you remove the smokers package?

Also what is the difference between enhanced bluetooth and standard? The luxury comes with Pro Nav and voice control so I dont understand what is different to the enhanced bluetooth?

Anyone think the 4 zone air con is any good? I am sort of tempted but not sure about it.

MalithS
Powered Boot: I agree this is a great feature, and combined with comfort access, it becomes brilliant. The other advantage of powered boot is that you can close the boot from inside the car (not a default standard feature, but can be software enabled [coded], if you have the powered boot option)

Smoker Package: Removing this option gives you a different coin tray. The coin-tray is the storage area to the left of the gear lever.
The 12V socket is still there, but you lose the cigarette lighter, you instead get a blanking cover. So if you do not smoke, you do not lose anything. The coin tray in the non-smoker package is slightly different shape, gives slightly more volume (hardly enough to notice).

Enhanced Bluetooth: Gives you the option to connect 2 phones simultaneously via Bluetooth and voice commands. You can make and receive calls on both phones via car speakers/mic.
(This option may also be software-enabled [coded] as long as you have Pro-NAV)

4 Zone A/C: Gives you full dual zone A/C controls on the rear seats as well as 2 extra vents in the B-pillars. In addition, you get individual air-mix control as well as individual enhanced air-flow controllers for both driver and passenger. 4-zone control is the only way to get proper heating/cooling in the rear seats. I have heard/ read at many places that with the standard 2-zone, the rear seat heating is abysmal. I have the 4-zone, so cannot comment on the standard stuff, but the 4-zone is brilliant.
Be aware: The 520D comes only with standard A/C. There are 2 options to upgrade to: Enhanced A/C and 4-zone A/C.
      02-19-2015, 09:52 AM   #21
MalithS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Ok so latest update -
One of the other dealers I rang yesterday called me this morning and said they can match the figure I wanted but wanted me to commit straight away. By this time I had also decided to add 4 zone climate so I asked them to add that as well and match my figure which they did. So I have now placed an order for the following spec:

530D Luxury
-Colour - TBC
-Interior - Oyster/Black
-Trim - Fine line anthracite wood or dark ash wood cant decide
-Sport Auto
-Head up display
-Powered boot
-Sunroof
-Folding dimming side mirrors
-High gloss shadowline trim
-Sun protection glass
-Split folding rear seats
-Sports seats
-Multifunction instrument panel
-Speed limit display
-4 zone climate
-Loudspeaker advanced
-Service inclusive package

All in it looks like I've managed a discount of about 22.9% which is quite good. Just after I confirmed this my local dealer also rang and they wanted to see if they could beat this. I wonder how much I would have got
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 10:12 AM   #22
MalithS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorsh View Post
Hope you didn't forget Pro Nav?
ha ha

Pro Nav is standard on the Luxury