2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2014 Manual 535i... Is it even worth ordering

07-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #45
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Bill View Post
Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out . . .
Moderators, can we do something about this troll and his personal attacks?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 07:06 PM   #46
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

This Bill guy makes me want to light myself on fire
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #47
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepittrill View Post
LOL. Sorry. Please, no self-immolation on my account!

X-boy is just ranting a bit. He’ll go to sleep soon.
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #48
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Bill

LOL. Sorry. Please, no self-immolation on my account!

X-boy is just ranting a bit. Hell go to sleep soon.
Although I do agree, manuals are great. Sadly, the death of the manual is near ):
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #49
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

X-traneous silliness aside, I'm sure you are right. Next car around, it will be interesting to see what MT options there are in this segment, if any. Acura still makes a MT, but it is not really a comparable car from a handling standpoint. But BMW is less and less about handling over the last few model reboots anyway.

As to the poor OP who simply wanted some feedback on MTs, the best thing would be to drive them both (which I did), but it is hard to find a six speed to test out.

Good luck with your choice. You are unlikely to be disappointed either way.
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 11:27 PM   #50
DLerner
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535, X164 GL550

Have driven a MT F10 535 for two years. Waited two months for it since there were zero on the lot and zero in transit. I commute an hour each way to work in traffic and I love this car. It's the perfect balance of luxury, tech, style, size, performance, economy and most importantly to me - driver engagement. I've said it many times before on this forum and to each their own, but there is absolutely, positively nothing similar about the driving experience between the MT and the SAT. My previous SAT and loaners were a very linear driving experience. The MT adds a whole other dimension. For anyone on the fence, grab one before they are gone.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 01:59 AM   #51
immx
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 520D SE Touring

I hate autos. I've always found them slow to react, dim witted and a hindrance. But a few things made me tick the 8AT box when I orderered.

First off, when I had a days test drive in the 520d ED, it was the first car I've ever driven when I thought "this could really do with being an auto"

Secondly, mine will be a company car, I'll be driving around 150-200 miles a day, we will need to become very close friends! As I was pondering which options I should select on a very tight budget, I had three days on the bounce when I had to drive right across the centre of London. For those that have never had the pleasure of London traffic, it's like doing a booby trapped assault course whilst having your teeth pulled! Seriously, you could walk across central london quicker! Doing that in a MT is hell!

And last, I drove for a couple of days a 325i MSport coupe with the 7AT and it wasn't too bad, it still had faults, but not too bad. Having read on this forum that the 8AT BMW fit to the F10 is one of the best boxes in the business, I took the plunge and ordered the 8AT.

Last edited by immx; 07-04-2013 at 03:52 AM.. Reason: Typos!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 04:58 AM   #52
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by immx View Post
I hate autos. I've always found them slow to react, dim witted and a hindrance. But a few things made me tick the 8AT box when I orderered.

First off, when I had a days test drive in the 520d ED, it was the first car I've ever driven when I thought "this could really do with being an auto"

Secondly, mine will be a company car, I'll be driving around 150-200 miles a day, we will need to become very close friends! As I was pondering which options I should select on a very tight budget, I had three days on the bounce when I had to drive right across the centre of London. For those that have never had the pleasure of London traffic, it's like doing a booby trapped assault course whilst having your teeth pulled! Seriously, you could walk across central london quicker! Doing that in a MT is hell!

And last, I drove for a couple of days a 325i MSport coupe with the 7AT and it wasn't too bad, it still had faults, but not too bad. Having read on this forum that the 8AT BMW fit to the F10 is one of the best boxes in the business, I took the plunge and ordered the 8AT.
If you are going to be driving in congested cities, did you consider the F30 (the 3 series) or is the 3 series too small for your needs?

I say this, as I have both a E92 (3 series) Coupe and the F10 (5 series). If I need to travel to a congested city and go around to the central zones, I usually prefer the 3 series to the 5. Easier to park, manoeuvre, etc...
As a long distance cruiser, the F10 is brilliant... no doubt about it.
      07-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #53
Rbembas_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
And if they tell you to jump off a bridge..........................
No just passing on the information from the technicians. It's all about what you prefer, I enjoy driving 6MT I drove the auto it was boring experience to me. I would imagine a senior citizen would choose an auto.

2011 M3 Coupe,Jerez Black,DCT,EDC,DSC
2010 X5 30i Black
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #54
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepittrill View Post
I agree, we should not have to put up with this trolling. This forum is here to share information, not hate. I wish the moderator is more active in this forum so we don't have to put up with his childish behaviors. There have been pass complaints about this guy in other threads. I am going to email the mod and see if we can doing something about trolls like him.

Last edited by The X Men; 07-04-2013 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #55
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbembas535i View Post
No just passing on the information from the technicians. It's all about what you prefer, I enjoy driving 6MT I drove the auto it was boring experience to me. I would imagine a senior citizen would choose an auto.
Exactly, its all about what you prefer. Why would a BMW tech's opinion matters in a transmission choice. Its a personal preference, just like the color of a car. If the BMW tech tell you to get a purple BMW, would you buy one? Regarding your reference to senior citizens, if what you say is true, then almost all of the of F10 drivers in the US are senior citizens, I am sure that's not the case. Unlike the E60, the F10 is a luxury first and foremost, I guess some people just cannot sit back and enjoy the ride.
I realize I am not going to change anybody mind here and that's not what I am trying to do. If you enjoy driving a big boat with a transmission, then by all means, enjoy your car. The topic of this thread is if a 535i manual is worth ordering and according to the vast majority of the BMW orders, it is not worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #56
immx
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 520D SE Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
If you are going to be driving in congested cities, did you consider the F30 (the 3 series) or is the 3 series too small for your needs?
I do a mixture of city and long distance. I did look at the F30, but just thought the F10 was a better car all in all.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 09:17 AM   #57
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by immx View Post

I agree, you put that sport transmission in the sport mode and there is absolutely no delay. The transmission is so quick and wide open that feels like a dual clutch. My bet is that it can shift faster than the manual. A faster car that can get better gas mileage, its a win win situation.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #58
Bmrmeup
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi, Graphite Grey

Garage List
2011 535xi  [0.00]
Well it doesn't seem that anyone here considered the fact that everyone does not drive a stick. I don't and would NEVER consider buying one. Never drove one more than a mile and don't intend to...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #59
Bmrmeup
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi, Graphite Grey

Garage List
2011 535xi  [0.00]
I must say that this post seems to have sparked some fires, but I must say it has been a great read and interesting none the less....

"Can't we all just get along".....Rodney King

Last edited by Bmrmeup; 07-04-2013 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #60
Rbembas_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Exactly, its all about what you prefer. Why would a BMW tech's opinion matters in a transmission choice. Its a personal preference, just like the color of a car. If the BMW tech tell you to get a purple BMW, would you buy one? Regarding your reference to senior citizens, if what you say is true, then almost all of the of F10 drivers in the US are senior citizens, I am sure that's not the case. Unlike the E60, the F10 is a luxury first and foremost, I guess some people just cannot sit back and enjoy the ride.
I realize I am not going to change anybody mind here and that's not what I am trying to do. If you enjoy driving a big boat with a transmission, then by all means, enjoy your car. The topic of this thread is if a 535i manual is worth ordering and according to the vast majority of the BMW orders, it is not worth it.
I disagree with you, there have been several members that have chimed in on ordering a 6MT and like me yes it is wroth ordering. It seems you are so occupied with Bill you have lost track. As for your tech's dig again no not color but technical information about transmission YES....... But I understand being the fact you live in liberal state.

2011 M3 Coupe,Jerez Black,DCT,EDC,DSC
2010 X5 30i Black
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #61
Keyser Soze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5

I thought everyone in Georgia drove pickup trucks?

Seriously, what happened to this thread.

The problem with the manual in this car is it's fitted in a car that weighs 4,000+ lbs. I thought it wouldn't be a problem but it is. Order it if you want it but there are drawbacks so be aware of them.
      07-04-2013, 11:28 PM   #62
positiveions
Lieutenant General
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 19 Tacoma, 16 Golf wagon

Garage List
Sadly, manual transmissions are a thing of the past.
I would not even hesitate to own an auto.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 01:05 AM   #63
kave
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring 2012

Garage List
Buy what you want, how hard is that? In Europe I would say 80% of sold cars is manual still. On the five series though I would say close to 90% are automatic. I drive an automatic, because with diesel its the only choice. But once in a while when manouvering parking lots I wish I was driving a manual 535i. With the newer auto boxes I totally lack feedback, I sometimes get Neutral instead of Drive when shifting, the only way to tell is looking at the gearbox. Together with Start/Stop it drives me nuts when engine dies while parking. I press the start button, resulting in the ignition turns off and box going to P.
Its just not intuitive at all, it took several months to get it right in demanding traffic situations.
      07-05-2013, 07:09 AM   #64
535iNM
...kicks on Route 66
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i MT M Sport

I personally enjoy driving the 6MT on my 2013 535i very much and find the clutch action smoother and a considerably lighter/easier feel compared to that of the 2011 535i 6MT I traded in. I live in a part of the country where traffic congestion isn't much of an issue, lending to a MT being less burdensome than its use might be elsewhere.

I believe that the move away from manual transmisssions may have something to do with overall corporate gas mileage averages as the AT's seem to score considerably higher in this respect. This may be my last MT BMW and I'm enjoying it while this opton is still available.

Last edited by 535iNM; 07-05-2013 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #65
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbembas535i View Post
I disagree with you, there have been several members that have chimed in on ordering a 6MT and like me yes it is wroth ordering. It seems you are so occupied with Bill you have lost track. As for your tech's dig again no not color but technical information about transmission YES....... But I understand being the fact you live in liberal state.
What does being in a liberal state have anything with buying an automatic or manual. I am sure automatic is available even in Georgia, or did the Georgian government force you to buy a manual?
I am sure some people still enjoy driving a 4300 pound mid size luxury sedan with a stick, but there are fewer and fewer of those people left. That is why BMW is discontinuing F10 with stick shifts in some regions.
I consider transmission choice a personal preference, not something a BMW tech should tell you to buy or not to buy.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2013, 06:06 PM   #66
Catfish454
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i x-Drive M-Sport

I drove a 335i with a stick up until a year ago and swore I'd never own an automatic. Like taking a shower with a raincoat on I always said. Then I was diagnosed with a herniated disk in my lower back and pushing in the clutch pedal became unbearable. Very reluctantly, I sold the 335 and bought a 535i with Steptronic and paddle shifters. Quite honestly, I don't miss the manual nearly as much as I thought I would. In fact, I don't think the 5 would be as much fun with a stick as it is not the most nimble car I've ever driven. The quick-shifting auto seems perfect in this car.
Appreciate 0