2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Your next 5 series - petrol or diesel ?

12-18-2016, 05:29 PM   #23
silo24
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp123
Quote:
Originally Posted by silo24 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp123 View Post
Hi silo

If you buy the new five and it costs over £40k and if it is registered after April 17 it will also attract a supplemental charge of £310 per annum for the first five years. I don't know if this would be of any bearing to you.
Hope this helps
This is what I was referring to. Basically if I was to change earlier, assuming a 3 year ownership cycle/pcp deal, I could offset the £930 extra over the next 3 years against my negative equity....

Man maths it is, but in all honesty, given the discounts available on the 6 series, I may well get a 640d before April.....
Hi silo

My thoughts exactly as this is going to be a new territory for dealerships and pcp customers as the switch over every time for a car costing £40k+ can work out quite expensive. Several point to considering,
will you always be looking for a pcp
are you looking to buy outright at any point
How long do you intend to hold on to your cars
Mileage you cover annually

If you are one for the first placing an order for the g30 do ensure that these costs of extra taxation can be covered by the dealership by some means of contribution or better valuation of your car to offset the costs.

Let me know your thoughts on this.
I'm a bit of a car tart so like to change quite regularly....this new regime will likely change my car buying behaviour.

In all honesty, I've stuck with PCP deals for the last 6 years as the manufacturer backed finance deals make it far more cost effective to buy new rather than used, even if you have the cash sat in the bank.

It's going to take the dealers and manufacturers some time to get this sorted, but I'm sure by the end of this year, we'll see some £39,999 cars with healthy specifications on the market.

I'm also expecting to see a bit of an improvement in the interest rates offered on used cars as the ability of the manufacturers to keep swapping people into new PCP deals every 24-36 months erodes. This will increase the number of used cars being financed and therefore will bring more lenders into the space.
      12-19-2016, 02:54 AM   #24
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
I'm a bit of a car tart so like to change quite regularly....this new regime will likely change my car buying behaviour.

In all honesty, I've stuck with PCP deals for the last 6 years as the manufacturer backed finance deals make it far more cost effective to buy new rather than used, even if you have the cash sat in the bank.

It's going to take the dealers and manufacturers some time to get this sorted, but I'm sure by the end of this year, we'll see some £39,999 cars with healthy specifications on the market.

I'm also expecting to see a bit of an improvement in the interest rates offered on used cars as the ability of the manufacturers to keep swapping people into new PCP deals every 24-36 months erodes. This will increase the number of used cars being financed and therefore will bring more lenders into the space.
By buying behavior will change also, i was changing ever year, that will now stop, I could even consider another brand IF come in under 40K with great spec .
      12-19-2016, 11:49 AM   #25
WillieMaykit
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
This is what I was referring to. Basically if I was to change earlier, assuming a 3 year ownership cycle/pcp deal, I could offset the £930 extra over the next 3 years against my negative equity....

Man maths it is, but in all honesty, given the discounts available on the 6 series, I may well get a 640d before April.....
Just out of curiosity, what is the discount level on a 640d GC? I have always had a soft spot for the GC
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 04:14 PM   #26
silo24
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 LCI 535d

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillieMaykit View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is the discount level on a 640d GC? I have always had a soft spot for the GC
Seems to be around 23-25% depending on spec.

Bigger advantage is 0% finance.....
      12-21-2016, 04:29 AM   #27
en1gma
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G03 X3

Similar boat here- but I'm a company car driver. And the 'salary sacrifice' tax impact is unclear to me...

Yes, I am a benefit user (i.e. I'm not exactly a sales rep/road warrior who has to do thousands of miles for business) but a company car has always been part of the T's & C's - with the option to take an allowance instead.

Had previously taken said allowance, then my company changed the rules saying any car I used had to be less than 5 years old, show them my insurance, etc; whereas before I could do more or less anything with the money...

With diesel cars so good re CO2 emissions recently, and wanting to keep to a 5-series - for my circumstances a 520d Luxury company car was a no brainer! Now, next year in July I will have to make a decision but no direction from my company what they are going to do tax/benefit-wise.

I'm thinking if I have to get my own, it will have to a petrol for the reasons mentioned by others.
Appreciate 0