2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum M4 compared to our 5 series?

06-05-2015, 10:50 PM   #45
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Yes, that's what I've been saying. For the price of a typical M4 ~75-80k, it's a little disappointing. For how good looking the exterior is, the interior is relatively meh at best in comparison. Then you look at what the competition from Audi and Benz are bringing, it's disappointing again.

No one is saying it looks like a Chevy Cruze inside. But we can all be in agreement that you wouldn't expect it after looking at the price, exterior and competition.

I don't think argument "I'm going to enjoy driving this so much that the interior doesn't matter' hold much water unless it's strictly your weekend track car. Most of the people buying this are more likely to be stuck in traffic than racing down the track. The M4 isn't any more fun under 70 mph as a 435 besides what's in your head. Unfortunately, that's where most of your time is spent. In DC, it's probably more enjoyable driving the new Mazda Miata than an M4. You just don't feel as awesome.

Honestly, growing up kinda sucks. I miss the old days where I buy a used sports car and blast it down the back road, local track or autocross. Now I can buy the new cars I used to dream of having and hardly any time to enjoy it. I realized that the old farts I bought the nice cars from are pretty much who I am now lol.
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2015, 11:23 PM   #46
CaliCanadian
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 A4 / 2015 Alpina B6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263 View Post
Yes, that's what I've been saying. For the price of a typical M4 ~75-80k, it's a little disappointing. For how good looking the exterior is, the interior is relatively meh at best in comparison. Then you look at what the competition from Audi and Benz are bringing, it's disappointing again.

No one is saying it looks like a Chevy Cruze inside. But we can all be in agreement that you wouldn't expect it after looking at the price, exterior and competition.

I don't think argument "I'm going to enjoy driving this so much that the interior doesn't matter' hold much water unless it's strictly your weekend track car. Most of the people buying this are more likely to be stuck in traffic than racing down the track. The M4 isn't any more fun under 70 mph as a 435 besides what's in your head. Unfortunately, that's where most of your time is spent. In DC, it's probably more enjoyable driving the new Mazda Miata than an M4. You just don't feel as awesome.

Honestly, growing up kinda sucks. I miss the old days where I buy a used sports car and blast it down the back road, local track or autocross. Now I can buy the new cars I used to dream of having and hardly any time to enjoy it. I realized that the old farts I bought the nice cars from are pretty much who I am now lol.
True.. Can't really make a direct opinion on living day to day with the cheaper side of BMW interiors. Definitely true about the traffic.. especially in LA.

Yeah what's in the head matters too though to some degree. I have loads of fun in an A4, and it pushes numbers near 335i with APR stage 2 tune (supposedly 287 chp/341 tq) but I feel like I had more fun in a 528

But yeah, definitely thought the M3 had a decent interior until I saw the C63.. Literally a baby-S even on the inside. Interior of the new C-Class just looks so pristine.. Well at least up until you get to the giant tablet that even BMW did a better job of in terms of dashboard integration. Also my experience with Mercedes's infotainment aka COMAND really kills anything their cars have going for them. Single handedly most difficult thing I have tried using in a car, it's just all over the place. Will have to judge the Audi once the B9 comes out. From what I experience, the A4 even with extensive use of plastics does feel more solid and composed than the 3, but I think the interior of the 3 looks better than the A4. But in defense of the 3, the C-Class is pretty new, and the Audi will be brand new. Will just have to wait and see until the next generation of the 3/4. According to another guy on here who has a buddy at BMWNA, interior is one of the things that BMW will be focusing heavily on thankfully
We'll just have to wait and see until 2019ish lol
Appreciate 1
      06-05-2015, 11:27 PM   #47
CaliCanadian
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 A4 / 2015 Alpina B6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Well said. I think the main issue is this, the price tag has grown into a different territory where people care more about the interior too. I doubt many cared when the E46 M3 went for $46k, even if 46k back then was a lot more than it is now, it was only 6 more than the 328 E46 I had (my first BMW). But now, the M4 is in another stratosphere, and for that matter so is the 3 and 4.. (my 335 was 14k more than said E46 M3)... So maybe buyers of all have a gripe about the interiors. Personally, I've never been disappointed in the interior of my F30. Could it be better? Sure. But it's hardly as bad as some like to say it is... I've never really bought much into the whole "quality plastics" argument. I get that there is a difference, but neither good nor bad plastic is leather, so who cares as long as it doesn't look or feel like a Tonka truck (the plastic ones of course, not the old school metal ones ).
Also well said! Base price of 62k is no joke, adding even a decent option or two skyrockets the thing to 70k. But at the end of the day it is a 3/4 series, which is why I personally don't think have many gripes about the interior whenever my friend is driving (M4). The interior overall I think is ok but it's just some certain parts, mainly that really weird piece of plastic that looks like it should slide or pop out right under all the HVAC buttons.. It's just so weird.. And the weird thing under the light controls if the car has no driver assistance technologies.. VW Passat has the same thing and it feels 100x more solid in the Passat than it does here.
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2015, 12:34 AM   #48
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

What I do notice about the M3/M4 is I've seen a pretty big increase in aftermarket companies making components from carbon fiber to a wide range of wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2015, 12:52 AM   #49
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
What I do notice about the M3/M4 is I've seen a pretty big increase in aftermarket companies making components from carbon fiber to a wide range of wheels.
Well yeah, BMW is nearly mainstream now. They're making M parts because non-M owners buy it for their cars too. You just see more aftermarket because the customer base is much much larger than it used to be. Options are always great!
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2015, 06:15 AM   #50
OEMonsterz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 535D M Sport

Some interesting opinions here. Ultimately the 5 series was designed to be a cut above the 3 and 4 series.

Comparing an M to Non M just isn't right. That being said .. the M5 will have the M4. In all aspects in my opinion.

Each to their own. Check this out:

Watch "10 things BMW M3 & M4 owners should know" on YouTube -

Last edited by OEMonsterz; 06-06-2015 at 06:45 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-06-2015, 08:04 PM   #51
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Nice Vid!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #52
OEMonsterz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Nice Vid!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 05:13 PM   #53
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

So I got a chance to go to the dealer and looked at the only M4. Very Nice looking! I think my 5 series interior spoiled me. The cabin space is night and day difference with more room in the 5 series. Now if I was in my 20's this car would be for me. I didn't think the interior was too plastic like most mentioned but it was less luxury but I think that's expected for an M4. I did love the body lines and how the rear makes the car look like it has a big a$$!

Anywho I think I'll start looking towards an M5 but that won't be til next year.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #54
OEMonsterz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
So I got a chance to go to the dealer and looked at the only M4. Very Nice looking! I think my 5 series interior spoiled me. The cabin space is night and day difference with more room in the 5 series. Now if I was in my 20's this car would be for me. I didn't think the interior was too plastic like most mentioned but it was less luxury but I think that's expected for an M4. I did love the body lines and how the rear makes the car look like it has a big a$$!

Anywho I think I'll start looking towards an M5 but that won't be til next year.
You won't be disappointed with the M5.. my brother has a facelift E60 and it is

The F10 is said to be a disappointment in comparison. Build quality is not the same and of course it's a turbo. Worth investigating before dropping some serious cash... but the M5 will muller the M4. Again a different kettle of fish.

Either way..prepare for points on the license
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2015, 06:02 PM   #55
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEMonsterz View Post
You won't be disappointed with the M5.. my brother has a facelift E60 and it is

The F10 is said to be a disappointment in comparison. Build quality is not the same and of course it's a turbo. Worth investigating before dropping some serious cash... but the M5 will muller the M4. Again a different kettle of fish.

Either way..prepare for points on the license
Yup! I hear ya! I browse the M3/M4 forums and the car Looks beast on the outside! There's soooo many aftermarket goodies to choose from from mild to aggressive! Anyways figured I'd get people's opinions here and see what they think.
Appreciate 0