2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Downpipe recommendations for a 535

12-19-2014, 11:10 PM   #1
jbeemer13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535i, 2018 BMW M3 CP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Downpipe recommendations for a 535

I currently have a tune and a supersprint exhaust on my 535.

I think my next upgrade might be a an aftermarket downpipe. I would like recommendations from those who are running them. I'm not really too familar with them so any info would be appreciated. Feed back on brands, sound and if you felt the hp increase would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
Mr Clean
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

I have an ER competition 4" catless downpipe and I'm very impressed with it overall (See my build thread for specifics as I installed it myself and commented on quality ect with the addition of pictures). To sum it up, I feel as if the price was well justified because the fitment is spot on, it has a flex section, looks almost OEM and gives me a very nice sound. I'll try to get a sound clip on here one of these days. The only draw back is during inspection time, you will need to install the OEM downpipe (so don't sell or discard it) and if your not handy or don't have the time/space you will have to pay a shop to install/reinstall it for you each year or so (depending on your state's inspection frequency). I'd say go for it ! Currently I have jb4 stage 2, flex fuel wires, intake, ER downpipe, muffler delete and I'm running 30/70 E85 and 93 Octane on map 5. The car is a BEAST! I'm able to keep up with cars that are much faster than mine...
      12-20-2014, 05:58 PM   #3
fung0001
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 2013 520i Hartge Tuning

Nice
Could anyone share experience in catted downpipe for n20 (520/528)?
So far i could only find a taiwan "stone" with product for my ride. Could not find others like hjs (only for f20/30)
Thks

Last edited by fung0001; 12-20-2014 at 06:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2014, 10:38 PM   #4
jbeemer13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Clean View Post
I have an ER competition 4" catless downpipe and I'm very impressed with it overall (See my build thread for specifics as I installed it myself and commented on quality ect with the addition of pictures). To sum it up, I feel as if the price was well justified because the fitment is spot on, it has a flex section, looks almost OEM and gives me a very nice sound. I'll try to get a sound clip on here one of these days. The only draw back is during inspection time, you will need to install the OEM downpipe (so don't sell or discard it) and if your not handy or don't have the time/space you will have to pay a shop to install/reinstall it for you each year or so (depending on your state's inspection frequency). I'd say go for it ! Currently I have jb4 stage 2, flex fuel wires, intake, ER downpipe, muffler delete and I'm running 30/70 E85 and 93 Octane on map 5. The car is a BEAST! I'm able to keep up with cars that are much faster than mine...
Thanks for the insight Clean! I will put the ER downpipe on my list of ones to consider. I also checked out your build thread. Loved reading it... very detailed! Much props to you for doing the install of your downpipe yourself. I'm not so handy so I think I will let a shop do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

@jbeemer13, I used to have the catless downpipe by ER on my 528 also. I took it off since my lease is up soon.
But yea, ER is one of the best in the market.
I would also suggest you the chargepipe, it is a big improvement compared to the stock plastic chargepipe that is known to fail.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 08:47 AM   #6
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fung0001
Nice
Could anyone share experience in catted downpipe for n20 (520/528)?
So far i could only find a taiwan "stone" with product for my ride. Could not find others like hjs (only for f20/30)
Thks
I had experience on the catless one, but not on the hi-flow catted one.
IMO, it is not worth the money to get the hi-flow catted aftermarket downpipe, because CEL still could come up. It is not guaranteed no CEL.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #7
fung0001
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33 View Post
I had experience on the catless one, but not on the hi-flow catted one.
IMO, it is not worth the money to get the hi-flow catted aftermarket downpipe, because CEL still could come up. It is not guaranteed no CEL.
http://www.topgearsolutions.com/evol...arge-pipe.html

http://www.spacegear.com.tw/products...&cid=187&f=185

Thks. Do chargepipe really increase throttle response? By what mean?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #8
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

@fung0001, the chargepipe will not make much difference power wise, but it will give you a better stability on the boost. Since the aftermarket usually made of stainless steel pipe or aluminum which doesn't flex or deform during high boost. Also, the OEM, between the plastic pipe and the plastic flange, it is only plastic weld. I've seen a stock charge pipe blown off within a year or few year of car ownership.
Also, since your car is 520i, ER doesn't have the chargepipe for it. ER only make N20/N26 chargepipe for the F2x 1 series 2 series and F3x 3 series 4 series.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2014, 06:45 PM   #9
fung0001
First Lieutenant
Rep

I see
Btw there is chargepipe from Taiwan brand for 52x
Also TW Stone garanteed that no CEL for its 300 Cart spiral flow downpipe but the price is ........not so friendly
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2014, 12:24 AM   #10
jbeemer13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
@jbeemer13, I used to have the catless downpipe by ER on my 528 also. I took it off since my lease is up soon.
But yea, ER is one of the best in the market.
I would also suggest you the chargepipe, it is a big improvement compared to the stock plastic chargepipe that is known to fail.
Thanks for the feedback r33! I will look into the chargepipe too
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 11:09 AM   #11
jbeemer13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
R33 and MR Clean - Question for you guys on the ER catless downpipe. Did it cause any error codes to come up after installation? Also since its catless was the exhaust fumes more noticeable from inside the car? Heard that it could be. I have had suggestions of getting a catted downpipe instead. Not sure about how that effects the exhaust flow and hp.

Has anyone out there heard of AR design downpipes? Wanted to get input on that one as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeemer13
R33 and MR Clean - Question for you guys on the ER catless downpipe. Did it cause any error codes to come up after installation? Also since its catless was the exhaust fumes more noticeable from inside the car? Heard that it could be. I have had suggestions of getting a catted downpipe instead. Not sure about how that effects the exhaust flow and hp.

Has anyone out there heard of AR design downpipes? Wanted to get input on that one as well.
I had catless on my 528 and it does trigger CEL. I have to use BMS JB4 Stage 2 to get it cleared.
As far as the smell, unless you open up the window, you will not smell it.
Performance wise, catless always better.
And AR design, it just another brand. Quality wise it is not far different, looks wise, it looks like a better, cleaner product when it is new out of the box.
Once installed, it gives you the same performance and will look the same.
It is personal preferrence IMO.
The same as purchasing T-shirt from GAP or Burberry. Both still functioned the same and will be looks and smell the same after being used.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2014, 09:29 PM   #13
jbeemer13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I had catless on my 528 and it does trigger CEL. I have to use BMS JB4 Stage 2 to get it cleared.
And AR design, it just another brand. Quality wise it is not far different, looks wise, it looks like a better, cleaner product when it is new out of the box.
The same as purchasing T-shirt from GAP or Burberry. Both still functioned the same and will be looks and smell the same after being used.
Thanks again for the feedback. Will really help me make my decision on what to go with! Leaning towards a catless right now for the extra performance and sound. However still concerned about the smell since I sometimes have my son in the car. Guess we can just drive with the windows up
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2014, 12:06 AM   #14
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeemer13
Quote:
Thanks again for the feedback. Will really help me make my decision on what to go with! Leaning towards a catless right now for the extra performance and sound. However still concerned about the smell since I sometimes have my son in the car. Guess we can just drive with the windows up
Haha. You can have the windows down, just don't stop.
Appreciate 0