2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum need advice from UK BMW owners

07-03-2012, 04:18 AM   #1
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 Comp. Ed.

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
need advice from UK BMW owners

I will be moving to the UK sometime next year (probably Q3) with my family and will probably stay there for a significant time (5+ years). I am currently in the process of financial planning for the move and need advice on purchasing a BMW there.

Coming from a 520d which I love (and may have to sell before the move), I am leaning towards getting another 520d or maybe a 530d. I need you guys to tell me if a diesel engine in the UK makes good economical sense (running cost, taxes, maintenance, insurance etc) as compared to a petrol. I will probably not be commuting to work (plan to work from home for a while) but we do plan on making long trips through the UK countryside on weekends.

Please also point me towards some well-reputed used cars websites where I can find a decent vehicle, or if there is an even better way of purchasing a used vehicle (certified pre-owned etc). How much of a bargain would a 1-year used car be over a brand new vehicle? I'm a little hesitant to consider any used car older than 1 year.

Any other advice would be welcome and appreciated.
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S (retired)
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 06:04 AM   #2
techno
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring

Diesel is slightly more expensive in the UK than Petrol but is usually offset by the higher MPG.

Diesels became much more popular here because of company car tax rules that made diesel cars more tax advantageous. That's not always the case now that it's based on the car's CO2 - an efficient petrol can be as tax efficient as a diesel. But I'm assuming that's irrelevant to you because you sound like you're buying the car rather than it being a company car.

Annual road tax varies by model and again is based on the car's CO2 emissions and age. The 520d will cost less than the 530d but it's not going to be a deal breaker - this link gives you the current rates.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/motoring...le/dg_10012524

I would definitely think that buying a 1 year old model is your best way to go, somebody else gets that year 1 depreciation hit ......... unless you're self employed or a business owner in which case leasing a new one might work out better for you.

Diesels tend to cost a little more than petrol versions in the second hand market but you really just need to work out which is best based on the mileage you plan to do in a year. Paying less for the Petrol model but more for the fuel might be better if you are only doing 7000-10000 miles a year.

As to where to buy.

BMW's approved used is a good way to go, you pay more but are (usually) getting well prepared cars and peace of mind.

Autotrader (www.autotrader.co.uk) is the best place to get a feel for pricing and there are lots of good quality dealers around the country, we've also got pretty good trading standards laws in the UK so you can generally buy with confidence.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Hi, well whether a diesl makes sens finally I guess is down to the milage you expect to cover.
I know new the 530d which I have was (I think from memory) about £5000 more than the 530i so it would mena a lot of miles to reap that back.
If you're intending to buy a 1 year old model, then the difference may not be as much but diesel are worth more secondhand anyway.
I've been told that about 90% of BMWs sold in the UK are diesel and in teh case of the 5 series, I'd have thoght he bulk of those will be 520ds.

Road tax is cheaper for a diesel compared to petrol as road tax is based upon CO2 emmissions.

For a used car, I'd have thought it best to look at any BMW dealer, they will have a selection of used cars whihc will still be under warranty. you may pay a bit more than a used example at a non BMW location but it's piece of mind knowing that it would have been checked out and you have the BMW network to back you up.

I've not really looked but I would think that msot under 1 year used 5 series are probbaly the dealer demo cars, I wouldn't think many wold be ex privtae onwers or off lease as thats a very expensive way to trading in as the car will ahve lost alot of money in that first year.

Try this
http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/bmwauc/detailed_search/
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
MalithS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 LCI 530D Luxury

Darkko,

I would say a Diesel would make sense if you were doing atleast about 8000 miles per year and if you are looking at used cars the 520D will probably be much easier to find as there are a lot more of the 520D's than 530D's in the used car market. Buying slighly used would be quite a good option as you are not taking the hit on the 1st years depreciation.

I chose to buy a used 520D which I bought from a BMW dealer and managed to get almost 28% off the brand new list price. I would recommend that you buy from a BMW dealer as you get an approved used car which is certified and try and look for cars that are around 1 year (most of these tend to be ex demo cars with around 6-7k miles on the clock). Also there are ex-BMW cars (mostly reg starts with Y)which come on the market that are about 1 year old (mine is an ex-BMW) and with these you can buy the 5 year service package (covers all servicing on the car for the first 5 years/60k miles) which I managed to get for £400 which is a bargain when you consider that the first service alone will be around £300.

As others have mentioned look through Autotrader and the BMW AUC site to get an idea of what available. There are plenty of cars that come on the market so you have to choice to pick out a car with the options you want.

MalithS
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

I bought a 530d 2 weeks ago from a BMW dealer, Road Tax is £175 per year & I'm getting 35mpg around town & 49mpg on the motorway.

A 520d will be more economic but the 6 pot diseasal is hard to beat for power delivery & smoothness.
      07-05-2012, 01:15 AM   #6
kaysquare
Registered
Rep
Drives: GSE20

Sorry to hijack this thread.. Am seriously considering purchasing a car, and am wondering if I should purchase directly from the authorised dealer, or go through a dealer to prenegotiate the price?

May I ask typically what percentage discount can be applied for an F10 520d?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #7
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Sorry for the long pause as I'm traveling.

Thank you all for the advice and the very resourceful links you have provided, I am now working on economics of petrol vs diesel with actual numbers instead of my guesses. I am pretty sure now that buying a new car is not the best option for me and a 1-year car should be within my range. I may also consider the new 3-series but I wonder if I may find the interior cramped after the much roomier 5-series.

I have also been advised to not pursue lease options but to buy second-hand with cash up-front to avoid the lengthy procedures of credit checks etc. Since I will be totally fresh in the UK I guess my credibility would be nil, to start with.

Would I really feel a significant difference between the 520d and 530d? I understand its a 4 vs 6 debate in which the 6 will always win but in a real-life scenario...... I wonder. I guess I need to test-drive the 6-pot diesel before making the decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalithS View Post
....... Also there are ex-BMW cars (mostly reg starts with Y)which come on the market that are about 1 year old (mine is an ex-BMW) ........
Can you please explain what you mean by "ex-BMW"?
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
MPH
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 530D SE 2013 Imperial Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrko View Post
Would I really feel a significant difference between the 520d and 530d? I understand its a 4 vs 6 debate in which the 6 will always win but in a real-life scenario......
I went through them all starting with a test drive of the 520d, then the 525d (4 pot version) then the 530d. The reason I kept on going was a vague feeling of dissatisfaction with the 520d and 525d - they just seemed underpowered and noisy (even though in reality they are good engines).

But the 530d sealed it - plenty of power and you wouldn't know it was a diesel apart from on start up. Great car. I would definitely go for this secondhand but there aren't many available - but it does depend on your budget.... (or even a 535d )
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #9
MalithS
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 LCI 530D Luxury

Quote:
Sorry for the long pause as I'm traveling.

Thank you all for the advice and the very resourceful links you have provided, I am now working on economics of petrol vs diesel with actual numbers instead of my guesses. I am pretty sure now that buying a new car is not the best option for me and a 1-year car should be within my range. I may also consider the new 3-series but I wonder if I may find the interior cramped after the much roomier 5-series.

I have also been advised to not pursue lease options but to buy second-hand with cash up-front to avoid the lengthy procedures of credit checks etc. Since I will be totally fresh in the UK I guess my credibility would be nil, to start with.

Would I really feel a significant difference between the 520d and 530d? I understand its a 4 vs 6 debate in which the 6 will always win but in a real-life scenario...... I wonder. I guess I need to test-drive the 6-pot diesel before making the decision.

Can you please explain what you mean by "ex-BMW"?
When I say ex-BMW I meant cars used by BMW uk so these are not ex demo cars which haven't been driven by lots and lots of people. These I guess are mostly used by BMW uk employees as company cars and are fairly well kept and maintained. I would think these would be driven less hard and used by one owner so might be in better condition than say a demo.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Does anyone know what the procedure/cost might be if I wanted to import my current 520d to the UK? Its a Feb-2012 production, RHD. I'm not sure if its even something that is possible under current UK Customs laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
I went through them all starting with a test drive of the 520d, then the 525d (4 pot version) then the 530d. The reason I kept on going was a vague feeling of dissatisfaction with the 520d and 525d - they just seemed underpowered and noisy (even though in reality they are good engines).

But the 530d sealed it - plenty of power and you wouldn't know it was a diesel apart from on start up. Great car. I would definitely go for this secondhand but there aren't many available - but it does depend on your budget.... (or even a 535d )
Thanks, the 530d is increasingly becoming the car to look out for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalithS View Post
When I say ex-BMW I meant cars used by BMW uk so these are not ex demo cars which haven't been driven by lots and lots of people. These I guess are mostly used by BMW uk employees as company cars and are fairly well kept and maintained. I would think these would be driven less hard and used by one owner so might be in better condition than say a demo.
Got it and I agree, your theory does make sense.
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
JNKS-F10
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport - F10

I changed from a 525i MSport to the new 520d MSport (F10).
The car is awesome and from a economy, tax, etc point of view a fantastic choice. There are many available in ex-demo category so you can grab yourself a bargain.
I would very much recommend one.
Welcome to the UK in advance! ;-)
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 05:55 AM   #12
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNKS-F10 View Post
I changed from a 525i MSport to the new 520d MSport (F10).
The car is awesome and from a economy, tax, etc point of view a fantastic choice. There are many available in ex-demo category so you can grab yourself a bargain.
I would very much recommend one.
Welcome to the UK in advance! ;-)
Thank you, still have about a 8 months to go till I actually move but I am already warming up to the welcome. Now I am wondering if I could actually take my car with me and save money on buying a new car and the mental anguish on having to part with this one that I customized to my personal preference and totally love every second spent in it.
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #13
AP
Major General
Rep

I see your car is RHD drive so that will save a load of grief. (overtaking, car parks!). Not sure on tax / customs regualtions but worth investigating.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #14
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
I searched a bit and found this: link

In the link to A guide to Mutual Recognition scheme it states that "This scheme helps with the permanent import of a car, motorcycle or light goods vehicle into the United Kingdom (UK). The vehicle must be built to a European specification, and must have originated from another European country."

Can anyone clarify if "originated from another European country" here means manufactured in OR exported from another European country? Need someone's first hand experience if available.
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 05:26 AM   #15
Mac B
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 520D SE saloon (G30)

If you can afford it, the 6-pot 530D with the 8-speed auto transmission is the bee's knees.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #16
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Thank you, still have about a 8 months to go till I actually move but I am already warming up to the welcome. Now I am wondering if I could actually take my car with me and save money on buying a new car and the mental anguish on having to part with this one that I customized to my personal preference and totally love every second spent in it.
I believe you are emigrating from Karachi. My suggestion would be to sell your motor locally. BMW is quite a premium brand there and you should be able to get a very decent value. Have you tried the UK/US embassy and check if any diplomat/ family is interested in buying your machine?

Then buy a motor here when you come to the UK.

Insurance, taxation, legislation… all is quite a hassle
I have not done this myself but did try this the other way around. Taking a car from UK to SE Asia… and it was a royal pain- eventually dropped the idea.

520D in the UK is quite (...no correction, extremely) popular variant. I have a 2009 330D Coupe and a new 2012 June 520D - the 520D rocks as a car; but the 3.0 engine in the Coupe is just brilliant to drive.

Good luck … whichever way you go. Importing or Buying.
      07-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #17
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Quote:

Can anyone clarify if "originated from another European country" here means manufactured in OR exported from another European country? Need someone's first hand experience if available.
It means both. For mutual recognition one must be able to produce a document called "Certificate of Conformity" (or CoC). This document is unique to the vehicle concerned & is issued by the manufacturer. Unfortunately u won't be able to obtain it for ur car cos it is only issued to cars made to EU-spec. This document basically states that the car is built to EU regulations & hence no inspection is necessary as all requirements have been fulfilled.
In ur case I think ur car will have to be inspected & emissions will be a big problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 12:05 PM   #18
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
I have not done this myself but did try this the other way around. Taking a car from UK to SE Asia… and it was a royal pain- eventually dropped the idea.
Which country is that?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #19
darrko
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [0.00]
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. The CoC seems like it may be difficult for me to obtain but I wonder, is my vehicle not built to EU specs? How is it different? I am assuming here that all 520d built by BMW comply to EU specs anyway unless otherwise spec-ed. The only changes I made in my vehicle are cosmetic....so would it be a problem?

I also think I may not be able to take the car with me because its under lease, the bank would throw a hissy fit! Unless of course I manage to find a buyer who is ready to pay the full price....which is kinda unlikely since the BMW 5-er is pretty much a premium car here and not many people want to invest so much in a vehicle. I may have to ask my dealer to spread the word among their clients to check if anyone is interested, since it is a pretty much fully-optioned car and there may be somebody who doesn't want to wait 4-5 months for delivery of a freshly built vehicle.
2023 X5 xDrive45e
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #20
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Thanks guys for all the suggestions. The CoC seems like it may be difficult for me to obtain but I wonder, is my vehicle not built to EU specs? How is it different? I am assuming here that all 520d built by BMW comply to EU specs anyway unless otherwise spec-ed. The only changes I made in my vehicle are cosmetic....so would it be a problem?
No, it's not to EU specs, especially regarding emissions control equipment for diesel engines.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 06:19 AM   #21
AP
Major General
Rep

Given it looks like you will be getting a new car in the UK (or new to you), whats your budget. Looking at elasing or buying?
I've a 530d msport and agree with MAC B about the straight six. Its a loverly engine and you relly only know its a diesel at idle and intial pull away.
Mine has passed the runnning in period and so I've started to put my foot down more (but still not full throttle) and its acceleration is amazing. It is so effortless the whole time. 70mph requires just 1500rpm.
I put a load of options on mine but that does inflate the price considerably.
Very economical for a 3 litre.

If the 520d is more your thing, a lot of people here giving it rave reviews.
I'd guess the 520d probably accounts for 85-90% of 5 series sold in the UK (Thats just my guess, no facts to back that up!) so if looking for nearly new, there will be plenty of them around. I've also seen the bigger engines around used at BMW dealerships and these are probably a good deal. Seen a few 550is but you will need deep pockets to fund its thirst in the UK! Quite a rare car I think.

Whatever you decide on, make sure you push hard when you negiotiate the price, they seem to have quite a good discount on them now, I got 11% off mine and I'm sure others on this forum will have similar and possibly better figures.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #22
gspannu
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarence View Post
No, it's not to EU specs, especially regarding emissions control equipment for diesel engines.
BMWs sold in India are Euro5 compliant; I guess it is the same in Pakistan - so your car should be compliant.

However; other taxation, bank lease; insurance may still be big issues...