2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Known issue of Dinan Stage 1 -efficientdynamics indicator not working

04-01-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
mikelori
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 550ix

Known issue of Dinan Stage 1 -efficientdynamics indicator not working

Hi,

I did the Dinan software upgrade on March 30 at BMW Seattle.
One thing I noticed after the upgrade is mileage indicator is behaving differently, maybe faulty.
When I lift my foot from gas or sink my foot on brake, the indicator of mileage gauge doesn't go to blue side, showing efficientdynamics kicks in and battery is being charged with wasted(?) energy. Also, the indicator stays longer on red side, which shows l/100km, km/1l or mpg. This makes me feel bad, since the gas price is relatively high in canada, $1.50 per liter or $5.6 per U.S. gallon. Well, gas mileage of this car is not much of concern, and I understand I have to pay what it needs to burn. However, I don't wanna it to consume more than what it needs or is designed to.
So, I checked with 3 Dinan dealers (BMW Seattle, AutoWest BMW in Richmond BC, and Brian Jessel BMW in Vancouver BC), and non of them is aware of this issue. All they said was "Bring in the car, we will see what is going on."
Finally, I decided to call Dinan, and the Dinan tech confirmed that none of cars with efficientdynamics gauge is correctly showing the reading. They are aware of this issue and also working on it. However, everything on the car is working as it supposed to. Lastly, they will inform me as soon as there is available update or fix for this issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Interesting - I'm bringing the car in next week for the same issue. Wonder if I should not bother. Who did you speak with at Dinan?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #3
mikelori
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 550ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextremo View Post
Interesting - I'm bringing the car in next week for the same issue. Wonder if I should not bother. Who did you speak with at Dinan?
Don't bother.
I spoke with Dan(ext. 101). I gave him my phone number to notify me once they have the solution. You should do the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelori View Post
Don't bother.
I spoke with Dan(ext. 101). I gave him my phone number to notify me once they have the solution. You should do the same.
I got impatient and called too lol. Canceled appointment, thanks for posting this-saved me a trip to the dealer and the headache of them trying to troubleshoot!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
dunderhi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6

I had my Dinan install on 4/29 and the Efficient Dunamics indicator works fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 550i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
I had mine done on 4/29 and it doesn't work. ---- the MPG indicator goes all the way over to 40 MPG, but doesn't go into the blue section.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 04:10 PM   #7
BMW9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 / Nissan GTR

I had the dinan flash 3 times starting about 2 monthgs ago. the latest flash was last week. The efficient dynamic guage did not/does not go into the blue zone on all flashes.
i would like it fixed but, As long as the charging system is working, its not a big deal to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW9 View Post
I had the dinan flash 3 times starting about 2 monthgs ago. the latest flash was last week. The efficient dynamic guage did not/does not go into the blue zone on all flashes.
i would like it fixed but, As long as the charging system is working, its not a big deal to me.
I only had mine done once and the Efficient Dynamics didn't work, but I don't believe Dinan has a fix yet. Like you said, it's not hurting anything, and I'm not worried about the EDynamics anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 09:33 PM   #9
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The independent shop in Atlanta that Dinan recommended me go instead of a BMW dealership did my Dinan software update. He told me that if your car has been re-flashed with the Dinan software and the efficient dynamics works, then you don't have the Dinan software. It's a problem on all the Dinan software upgrades, so if you have the upgrade, your Efficient Dynamics will not work.

They are still working on prototype software to try to fix the issue. This independent shop is way more knowledgeable on the Dinan software than the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
dunderhi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6

I had Dinan installed in April, but I never noticed it not going into the blue zone. Not sure if that provides any real information anyway. IMHO, the instant mpg works, so that should be all that matters.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 10:58 PM   #11
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I had Dinan installed in April, but I never noticed it not going into the blue zone. Not sure if that provides any real information anyway. IMHO, the instant mpg works, so that should be all that matters.
If yours goes into the blue zone on braking, the Dinan flash is not in your car's software, and you should have it re-installed.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #12
highyo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3, X5

just so we're clear, because i never have that silly little thing selected on my display anyway, if the indicator moves into the efficient dynamics portion (the blue portion) that means my Dinan flash is not effective?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #13
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
just so we're clear, because i never have that silly little thing selected on my display anyway, if the indicator moves into the efficient dynamics portion (the blue portion) that means my Dinan flash is not effective?
Dinan has not found a solution on why the Efficient Dynamics gauge does not work when their upgrade software is installed. If yours works, that means the upgrade software did not work when it was re-flashed into your car. If the Dinan upgrade software is currently operational in your car, the Efficient Dynamics indicator WILL NOT WORK.

If you still don't understand, give Ron a call at Perfomingimports.com. He's been a Dinan dealer for about 15-20 years.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #14
highyo
Banned
United_States
Rep

my efficient dynamics definitely does work, and my Dinan stage 1 is DEFINITELY working too (ask that corvette on 80 that is still wondering what happened this weekend). maybe i'll check in with my guy at motor works west, hes been doing it for a long time too.

odd.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #15
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
my efficient dynamics definitely does work, and my Dinan stage 1 is DEFINITELY working too (ask that corvette on 80 that is still wondering what happened this weekend). maybe i'll check in with my guy at motor works west, hes been doing it for a long time too.

odd.
Yes, let me know what your guy says. I'm curious myself. I'm just going by what my Dinan Rep told me. It is odd that the Dinan company itself would be telling different reps different things --- maybe they don't themselves.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #16
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep

It is always possible that the Dinan efficient dynamics issue is specific to certain build dates/ BMW software versions.

I didn't ask that level of detail when I called, was happy enough that they knew about the issue and were working on a fix.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #17
highyo
Banned
United_States
Rep

i'm going into my guys shop either friday or tues next week, will update the board with my findings.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2011, 01:04 PM   #18
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i'm going into my guys shop either friday or tues next week, will update the board with my findings.
We here will appreciate your findings. I know my Dinan Stage 1 is working as well -- the power output is incredible -- and I'm not really concerned with the Effficient Dynamics gauge -- just curious what the issue is.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #19
highyo
Banned
United_States
Rep

guys, i am going into motorworks today and will update everyone with the "efficient dynamics" indicator situation. getting an oil change too. redline 10w40
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 01:56 AM   #20
highyo
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
guys, i am going into motorworks today and will update everyone with the "efficient dynamics" indicator situation. getting an oil change too. redline 10w40
well i went to motor works and had everything looked at, new oil, test drive, etc. i have both the efficient dynamics display working as well as having the dinan tune. Chris at MWW was a little surprised that i went with 10w40 (this was a mike miller suggestion), thought it was a little too heavy. but in any event, everything checks out. weird that some reps are saying one thing about the dinan/dynamics indicator while others don't. chris said he thinks someone was pulling my leg.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #21
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm glad yours is working fine. Mine Efficient Dynamics is not, but of no great concern. It's funny that the Atlanta area Dinan reps are telling me different. Maybe it's a glitch in different regional software -- who knows. Thanks for reporting back to us and telling what you found out.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 04:51 PM   #22
Vinfast
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Highyo, what is complete name of your service shop where you had the upgrade done? I wanted to email my rep and let him know what your results were. Thanks.
Appreciate 0