2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum New 5 series coming this weekend, some questions

12-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
Ben Lee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 528i and BMW X3

New 5 series coming this weekend, some questions

Hello,

I just trade-in my E60 for a new 2012 528i which will be delivered this weekend.

Is there any aspects which are common to this model that I should pay particular attention to check on when taking delivery?

Also, some "might be silly" questions :

This car comes with 10.2" screen with build-in GPS with "advance navigation system". During the test drive, I recall the GPS was on and there was this computer voice from the dashboard telling me to turn left / turn right, go straight, beware traffic light ahead etc.. which gets quite irritating after a while. Can the GPS voice be turn off and simply show the map and my car position on the screen? I presume it can be done but the sales guy couldn't quite figure it out how during the test drive and could only turn the GPS completely on or off.

The car comes with key-less drive function similar to my existing BMW X3. The keys even look identical. Both cars will be parked next to each other at my parking lot. Any chance that a coding / programming or transmission error will cause the two cars to be confused and respond simultaneously, for example, opening the door with one key remote will automatically open the car doors for both cars?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Ben Lee; 12-26-2012 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 10:04 AM   #2
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lee View Post
Hello,

I just trade-in my E60 for a new 2012 528i which will be delivered this weekend.

Is there any aspects which are common to this model that I should pay particular attention to check on when taking delivery?

This car comes with 10.2" screen with build-in GPS with "advance navigation system". During the test drive, I recall the GPS was on and there was this computer voice from the dashboard telling me to turn left / turn right, go straight, beware traffic light ahead etc.. which gets quite irritating after a while. Can the GPS voice be turn off and simply show the map and my car position on the screen? I presume it can be done but the sales guy couldn't quite figure it out how during the test drive and could only turn the GPS completely on or off.

The car comes with key-less drive function similar to my existing BMW X3. The keys even look identical. Both cars will be parked next to each other at my parking lot. Any chance that a coding / programming or transmission error will cause the two cars to be confused and respond simultaneously, for example, opening the door with one key remote will automatically open the car doors for both cars?

Thanks in advance.
In answer to your questions above;

Nav -Yes voice can be turned off. On left hand side of screen there is a little speaker. Highlight it and click it. You'll figure it out.

Keys - Yes, silly question. If your worried about two cars getting confused, imagine what it'd be like if that happened at the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
Ben Lee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73henny View Post
In answer to your questions above;

Nav -Yes voice can be turned off. On left hand side of screen there is a little speaker. Highlight it and click it. You'll figure it out.

Keys - Yes, silly question. If your worried about two cars getting confused, imagine what it'd be like if that happened at the dealership.
Yes, I guess so. Just want to be sure as it's a common car park so don't want to leave the doors accidentally opened. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
SDf10
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F80 YMB M3

The key mixup will not happen, don't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 08:30 AM   #5
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Press the voice button on the steering wheel and say "voice instructions off". Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #6
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

The turn instruction is also displayed on your dash cluster, between the tach and speedo. If you have HUD, it will be displayed there as well.

On the nav screen, I usually do a split screen. Small birds eye view on the right, and large zoomed out map on the left. You can switch the left screen to display your CD, radio, menu, etc... It's the fun of learning a new car. Enjoy and Congrats!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Lee
Hello,

Thanks in advance.
Never put money down on a lease. Keep the money from selling your car in the bank.

Do the math. It will end up being the same.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #8
Ben Lee
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Never put money down on a lease. Keep the money from selling your car in the bank.

Do the math. It will end up being the same.
I didn't lease. I pay the price of the car with cash outright. The dealer simply discount the selling price of the old car from the final amount.
Appreciate 0