2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW F10 mirrors question?

01-20-2015, 03:36 PM   #1
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 116i M Sport Automatic

BMW F10 mirrors question?

Hi there,

I have an F10 with non dimming mirrors, due to in the UK loads of people driving with poorly adjusted headlights, foglights on, badly fitted HIDs etc means that I'm constantly getting blinded in the side mirrors. The auto dimming mirror in the middle does a fine job.

I've found these mirrors which are OEM (or so they say) on eBay heated and dimming side mirrors, you can tell by the outline they are dimming mirrors.

The big question is are they a direct replacement for the non dimming ones? do they just use the same power from the heating contact or does it require another unit and/or some coding. I would of hoped with something so simple it would be a direct replacement?

Link here : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-5-SERI...item3a9fb05c79
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 01:30 PM   #2
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowluke View Post
Hi there,

I have an F10 with non dimming mirrors, due to in the UK loads of people driving with poorly adjusted headlights, foglights on, badly fitted HIDs etc means that I'm constantly getting blinded in the side mirrors. The auto dimming mirror in the middle does a fine job.

I've found these mirrors which are OEM (or so they say) on eBay heated and dimming side mirrors, you can tell by the outline they are dimming mirrors.

The big question is are they a direct replacement for the non dimming ones? do they just use the same power from the heating contact or does it require another unit and/or some coding. I would of hoped with something so simple it would be a direct replacement?

Link here : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-5-SERI...item3a9fb05c79
Unfortunately not. You will have to retrofit folding mirrors and they will give you auto dimming.
      01-22-2015, 05:19 AM   #3
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Not a cheap option for sure, the auto folding mirror! My one was damaged by cyclist over xmas, got it changed without having to replace the colour coded cover, the price was 990 Euros!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 06:29 AM   #4
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
Not a cheap option for sure, the auto folding mirror! My one was damaged by cyclist over xmas, got it changed without having to replace the colour coded cover, the price was 990 Euros!
How Much?!
I'd heard these were not cheap elsewhere but that is ridiculous. They are very good but that is way too expensive.

I've often wondered how much a car would cost if you built it from all parts sourced separately, 6 figures no doubt.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 07:07 AM   #5
skipsmith
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 520 D M Sport

If it's just the lens Euro car parts have them heated and dimming for £150 , I had to replace one of mine
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 07:47 AM   #6
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
How Much?!
I'd heard these were not cheap elsewhere but that is ridiculous. They are very good but that is way too expensive.

I've often wondered how much a car would cost if you built it from all parts sourced separately, 6 figures no doubt.
960 for the complete mirror without the colour coded plastic cover, my one is the Auto folding so needed to replace the bottom cover and the motor! the heated mirror auto dim was at around 300 euro, I remember the 1st quote given to me was at around 600 Euros than dealer called me back after they realised my car had the auto dim heated mirror so my price went up to 960 Euros, painful as I like to keep my insurance free of claims I get a good discount bonus, if it breaks again I am going down the insurance route. My dealer was nice to charge me only the parts not the installation.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #7
youknowluke
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 116i M Sport Automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Unfortunately not. You will have to retrofit folding mirrors and they will give you auto dimming.
Found another way, you can buy the glass which has a blue tint to it all the time, but then during night its easier on the eyes or supposed to be. Ill do that saves me spending money on folding mirrors which I don't need I can fold them myself takes 20 seconds max At £32 for both I'm not gonna argue with that ill keep my old OEM ones as spare.

Link
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Passenger-...item1c498973d3
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 01:38 AM   #8
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowluke
Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
Found another way, you can buy the glass which has a blue tint to it all the time, but then during night its easier on the eyes or supposed to be. Ill do that saves me spending money on folding mirrors which I don't need I can fold them myself takes 20 seconds max At 32 for both I'm not gonna argue with that ill keep my old OEM ones as spare.

Link
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Passenger-...item1c498973d3
Kindly keep us posted how you get on with these.