2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Rattle sound on rear

06-13-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
xroyalflush
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

Rattle sound on rear

I've had my 535i for a month already and I wasn't hearing a rattle sound on the back, I'm not sure where it's coming from, at first I thought it was in the trunk but I'm not so sure anymore. Every time there's a pothole it makes that sound. My steering wheel doesn't vibrate or anything it's just that sound. Also, the rear break light makes a rattle sound; as if it's not well adjusted or something.

I'm only posting this because I used to have a 2011 128i, then a 2012 X3, and now this 2013 535i and I've come to realize that while BMW are great cars, they do tend to have either plastic noises or some other kind of rattle sound & it's so damn annoying. These cars are not cheap. Why do they sometimes sound as if they were?

Am I the only one experiencing this ? Am I over analyzing it?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

If your car is only a month old, take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. Amke sure you ride with them to confrim the noise. My F10 is over a years old and it is solid as rock, no rattle what so ever.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
tdang81
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 F10 550i M Sport

I had a bit of a hollow rattle sound coming from the back as well. At first I thought it was loose panels in the trunk, but then I realized it was actually coming from underneath, when I installed my Arkym CF Diffuser.

It was the plastic part the connects the rear diffuser to the underside of the car. Held on by plastic fastening rivets, and 3 screws. There are some gaps between the diffuser and this plastic piece, thus when you go over a bump/dip in the road, it might rattle. I put a bit of foam insulation in between and it was gone.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
F10N47
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by xroyalflush View Post
I've come to realize that while BMW are great cars, they do tend to have either plastic noises or some other kind of rattle sound & it's so damn annoying. These cars are not cheap. Why do they sometimes sound as if they were? Am I the only one experiencing this ? Am I over analyzing it?
I had a creak/rattle type noise coming from the rear of my F10 ... it happened mostly over bumps, but only when the weather was warm. You can check if it's the same thing by sitting in the rear seat and pressing down on the plastic air vent which runs the width of the rear glass. If it creaks, that's your problem. The fix is a fairly straight forward DIY affair ... it involves removing the fabric shelf, removing the vent and covering the bottom of it in felt, then reassembling everything. If you want more details, pm me. I don't know if your dealership would do this under warranty. I never asked mine as I just don't trust them to touch my car!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
xroyalflush
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

Thanks! I'll try those things and see what happens.

I appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 07:54 PM   #6
creativ101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10N47 View Post
I had a creak/rattle type noise coming from the rear of my F10 ... it happened mostly over bumps, but only when the weather was warm. You can check if it's the same thing by sitting in the rear seat and pressing down on the plastic air vent which runs the width of the rear glass. If it creaks, that's your problem. The fix is a fairly straight forward DIY affair ... it involves removing the fabric shelf, removing the vent and covering the bottom of it in felt, then reassembling everything. If you want more details, pm me. I don't know if your dealership would do this under warranty. I never asked mine as I just don't trust them to touch my car!
Can you provide more details. The rattling is driving me crazy.
Appreciate 0