2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2015 535D vs. 2015 535xi (Both M Sport) - Toronto Area

06-27-2015, 06:01 AM   #45
Boochie614
Rep
Drives: 2014 535d

Garage List
2014 BMW 535d  [0.00]
Sorry- accident lol
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 08:43 AM   #46
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boochie614 View Post
Sorry- accident lol
Cool, thought you had lost your mind over a refund!

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 07:56 PM   #47
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver
DON'T get the diesel! NO way! I've had both, and after many years of driving BMW sweet sixes, I thought I wanted a diesel. HUGE mistake.

You lose all the refinement and sweetness that makes BMW, BMW. Get the gas 535. DON'T listen to the torque bullshit, DON'T listen to the gas milage... the extra cost and extra diesel cost makes the extra mpg a moot point.

I got out of my 535d in 4 months and am now in a 535i. smooth like a BMW, sounds like a BMW, revs like a BMW.

Don't fall for the diesel bull shit. PM me your phone number.... I'll speak with you on the phone.
With all respect, I disagree.

I have had gas and diesel.

Now, if your priority is refinement, and it sounds to me like it is, then I support your conclusion: The BMW petrol is the definite way to go if refinement is crucial.

But, if refinement is not your priority, then the BMW diesel must be considered.

The BMW diesel is fantastic. Contrary to what you've said, torque is very important.

The diesel is just endless fun for your average driver. If you're a gear head or if you are an exceptional driver then the diesel may not be for you.

The diesel's fun factor can exceed the petrol if you meet this profile:

1. You are an average driver and you have a 25 minute or more commute to work. (Diesels can be pushed hard and you will fill up less often)
2. You're the kind of person that always wanted to put a better exhaust on your car, but you have other priorities in life. (The diesel will grunt until you hit 50.)
3. You love driving through the twistys and when you do you rarely exceed 60 mph. (The diesel torque is exceptional from 0 to 30, if you're the type to have a blast under 60 mph, the diesel is exhilarating!)
4. You take long trips at least once or twice per year. (The diesel loves long trips and your rewarded by having to fill up less.)
5. You love to drive in sport mode, but you usually keep it in drive because it's a pain to refill the tank. (The diesel does not punish you if you stay in sport 24x7 and the diesel gives you guilt free fun!)
6. You drive BMWs because you like to immerse yourself in technology. (The advanced diesel comports with the notion of hi-tech)
7. You have no particular affinity to petrol motors. (If you're expecting refinement with no buzzes, no rattles, and you want silky smooth 24x7 then the diesel is not for you.)

If you fit this profile then please consider the diesel. If you don't fit this profile then the diesel is probably not for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 06:20 AM   #48
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

The mystique, if you will, of BMW has always been the silky smooth pull (and sound) of the straight 6 gas engine. That smoothness is what makes BMW, BMW. For me when I took that away and went with the diesel much of the inherent "goodness" of the car, the "soul", the "sweetness" of the car disappeared.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 07:32 PM   #49
MikeCT
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535d xDrive

I picked up my new 535dx at the end of March. Traded my 2006 330xi that I had for over 9 years. It had that sweet straight 6 engine that loved to pull all the way to redline. Only problem was I rarely brought it over 4,000 rpm. My driving style really best fit the diesel. That was the reason I decided to go with the 535dx over the 535ix. Absolutely love the low end torque.

Yes, I do hear some diesel noise that comes and goes between 1500 - 2000 rpm. Seems to me that it is related to fuel mapping rather than anything mechanical since I can make it disappear/re-appear with a throttle adjustment. Does not affect the performance of the vehicle at all, and it does not occur outside of that rpm range. So far I am extremely happy with the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 09:52 PM   #50
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
The mystique, if you will, of BMW has always been the silky smooth pull (and sound) of the straight 6 gas engine. That smoothness is what makes BMW, BMW. For me when I took that away and went with the diesel much of the inherent "goodness" of the car, the "soul", the "sweetness" of the car disappeared.
All true, but this is one of those things when you know what you like and have certain expectations of what BMW should be like. Nothing wrong with that, but it's a bit unrealistic to expect exactly the same feel and sound if you're buying a diesel.

Either way, from what I know both, you and OP are very happy with your final choices, that's all it matters.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2015, 11:27 PM   #51
raddy
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 535d xDrive

Well it has 3 months now, and I LOVE THIS CAR. Remember, I am coming from a Nissan Altima SE, so this is a huge jump for me.

I rarely get to punch the car as much as I would want because of traffic in the Greater Toronto Area. That being said, when I do - it is very enjoyable.

I can feel the diesel vs. gas difference initially, but after the first 10 km/hr or so, it is fine.

What am I am really loving is my fuel economy to date. Filling up about every 10-15 days and that is with lots of driving across the Toronto area.

I will do a more detailed 3 month review this week. Just married and finished a honeymoon!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 01:06 AM   #52
SleevedCoyote
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mustang GT

Good to hear and congrats on the marriage, enjoy the whip
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #53
callabo1
Rep
Drives: 750LI...535d...M235

I currently drive a 535d and getting 31.1 in spirited driving,stop and go city driving.Very happy with the car...currently paying $2.09 per gallon in Jersey.
After 1 year I can say its been bullet proof...last Winter the car performed very well,,,like a knife through butter.
I recently was merging onto traffic 2 week a go and a 535 i, decided to go toe to toe with me, and to my pleasure I stayed ahead, he was already at a reasonable rate of speed when I came on to the freeway,,,I put the car in Sports mode and the car took off, the other bimmer decided to get behind me, I think he wanted to know what model it was,,,lol,,, I assume,,,then I just slowed down ,no need for a ticket.-And with the HUD at 104,,,It was enough fun.-Then he decided to move on...Very pleased with the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #54
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

Raddy, glad to hear you're enjoying the car and have no regrets going with the diesel. I'm coming up to 2 years on mine and I still like it better than the 535i I had before it. I'm averaging 9.2 l/100 km and I drive 95% city. Last week up north I covered 150 km all on 2 lane country roads with speed limits between 50 and 80 kmh. I averaged 6.2 l/100 km, that's about 37mpg in a big heavy car and I was not taking it easy, pretty awesome.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 03:00 AM   #55
SleevedCoyote
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by callabo1 View Post
I currently drive a 535d and getting 31.1 in spirited driving,stop and go city driving.Very happy with the car...currently paying $2.09 per gallon in Jersey.
After 1 year I can say its been bullet proof...last Winter the car performed very well,,,like a knife through butter.
I recently was merging onto traffic 2 week a go and a 535 i, decided to go toe to toe with me, and to my pleasure I stayed ahead, he was already at a reasonable rate of speed when I came on to the freeway,,,I put the car in Sports mode and the car took off, the other bimmer decided to get behind me, I think he wanted to know what model it was,,,lol,,, I assume,,,then I just slowed down ,no need for a ticket.-And with the HUD at 104,,,It was enough fun.-Then he decided to move on...Very pleased with the car.
And the american 535d isn't even the real counterpart to the 535i
Would love to have seen his reaction with the EU 535d (313hp one)
Appreciate 0