2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum HUD 'puma'

05-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #1
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

HUD 'puma'

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hello, well, my car has its first 'puma' regarding a HUD issue.

Basically, when NAV directions are being given, when you get the 3D graphic for the autobahn/motorway exit/entrance ramps, the HUD screen turns white then a scrambled image pops up. The BMW techs here didnt know how to fix it so they sent off a puma.

Anyone experience similar let me know, thanks!

Last edited by delvek; 07-04-2011 at 03:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #2
Geekybrain
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 550XI M Sport

Exclamation Same issue. German specific?

Glad to have read your post. Took delivery of a very similar vehicle 2 days ago. This is euro delivery but will live in US. The issue with the HUD is identical. I was hoping its specific to display of German characters? I have not been able to contact BMW as where I picked it up (Welt) is closed and I drop it off Monday for shipping. What is a "puma?" I also suspected regular techs would have no idea and a software update will need to be deployed. Was on the Autobahn for the last two days breaking it in and every "exit" sign caused the white box followed by the scrambled image. Please let me know if you find a solution.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #3
Gran Turismo
Alpina Addict
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Alpina B4 S Coupe AWD

If I remember correctly, I've already read some posts about this particular HUD issue in various BMW forums: They seem to be basically caused by a country/language mismatch between the "base vehicle" and the NAV data. In other words, European NAV data on a US spec model is likely to cause this issue.

So Geekybrain should see no more issues once the car has made it across the pond. Not sure about delvek though... is yours a US model?
      03-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geekybrain View Post
Glad to have read your post. Took delivery of a very similar vehicle 2 days ago. This is euro delivery but will live in US. The issue with the HUD is identical. I was hoping its specific to display of German characters? I have not been able to contact BMW as where I picked it up (Welt) is closed and I drop it off Monday for shipping. What is a "puma?" I also suspected regular techs would have no idea and a software update will need to be deployed. Was on the Autobahn for the last two days breaking it in and every "exit" sign caused the white box followed by the scrambled image. Please let me know if you find a solution.
I have first-hand experience with this. I don't understand the technical reasons, but the display problem happens on all ED cars with HUD while they're being driven in Europe. When you take redelivery in the US, the display will work fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

This is correct. The only way to fix was for me to buy the EU maps which I did and problem solved. Since you are only here "vacation" I would recommend forgetting the problem and wait until your home to enjoy the HUD graphics.