2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum LOUD fan HELP!

06-23-2014, 03:32 AM   #1
fai9al
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 520i

LOUD fan HELP!

Dears,

Apologies if this has been mentioned somewhere before but I've looked all over and couldn't find a clear answer to the issue I am having with my car.

I've had my '12 520i for around two years now and it has been a really great car (around 41000km on the clock.)

About a month or so ago, I began to notice an abnormal VERY loud cooling fan noise (sounds like a jet engine) every now and then. Initially, I didn't think it was a big deal but with time, I started to hear the fan more often and it started to really bother me.

I took it to the dealership and as expected, they tried to convince me it was "normal" due to high heat season (I live in Saudi where the temp is around 40-47 degrees Celsius these days), I told them I have had the car for two years and it never did this before! After convincing them, they agreed to take it in and I was told that the thermostat needed to be changed and everything will go back to normal, which they did.

I got my car back and it was fine for a couple of weeks, then the loud fan comes back again, but this time less often. It would happen if I drive a long highway distance and I come to a stop light or if I go somewhere, I shut off the engine for 20-30 mins and switch it on again (it goes FULL blast for a minute or so.) I have noticed that it also happens when I am in traffic.

I took it back to the dealership and after a couple of days, they called to say that NOTHING is wrong with the car and that they checked everything and all seem to be normal and there is nothing they could do about it because it is "normal"

So, I am planning to take it to an indy, but until I do, can someone chime in and educate me on what is happening with my car?? Is it the water pump? temp sensor? radiator? What could it be? A member of another forum mentioned that it could the solenoid of the active shutters shorting out the radiator fan.

Thanks & apologies for the long post :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 08:18 AM   #2
Super6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi, 2014 640i

Its your water pump. Its getting ready to go. $1400/ stealership price installed.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
fai9al
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 520i

Thanks for the reply.

I was hesitant to think its the water pump because my oil temp gauge is not going above mid point regardless of distance or weather.
Appreciate 0