2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Hartge N20 Tune impression

05-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #1
JohnnyF10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: f10 528i xDrive, e93 M3

Hartge N20 Tune impression

Driving my car for over a year now with the N20 engine was not the most exiting year!

Coming from previous M cars and other 6 & 8 cylinders BMWs, this car was not delivering the Ultimate Driving Experience promise. The F10 is truly a great car that fits my family needs but I have to say, even after driving this car for more than 1 year, I still can't get use to the engine sound signature!

Why can Audi make a 2.0 litre engine with direct fuel injection that doesn't sound like a broken diesel engine compare to BMW N20 ?

If we put the engine sound aside for now, the power delivery on the other hand is adequate for a daily driver and to be honest, every time I stop at the fuel pump, I'm still surprise to see how little fuel this car takes.

But Like any gear head like me, I could use a little bit more power.

I have long debated between different tune options available for the N20 engine. I am really picky about what I choose and for this reason I have opted to choose a well established tuner like Hartge.

I had a beautiful 95 e36 fully modified by them and that car never had a hiccup with more than 200,000km with multiple auto cross events.

I am not comparing this tune with other products offer by other tuners since I didn't not had a chance to try them. But if I had to choose between a system that only taps into 2 sensors vs 7 for the Hartge kit… I think it's a no brainier and Hartge is monitoring a lot more thus, safer for the engine.

I took my time and the installation took me about 1 hour with the provided instructions. Even if they where written for a F30 328, they where very clear and easy to follow for the F10 installation.

All I can say is wow! The car dynamics is totally changed and the power delivery is simply amazing. This tune really transformed the car. Having measured my stock 0-60 time whit my P3Cars vent gauge to 6.43 seconds (528i xDrive with 20 inches wheels) multiple times, I am happy to report using the same configuration with the new tune, I did shave almost half a second to 6.07 going on a slightly uphill road compare to a complete flat surface for the 6.43. This is minutes after the install on my first run. I'm sure I can drop this to sub 6 seconds.

The power delivery is instantaneous and I feel like there is less to no turbo lag. This is perhaps my perception but the improvement is definitely there and anyone can feel it. The car is still very smooth and runs like stock when driving normally.

I rediscover the fun of driving the car with this tune! Getting into the highway, gets a nice smile on my face as the acceleration from 60 to 160km/h are a pure pleasure! This is how this car should have left the factory. I would love to test it against a stock 535i xDrive to see how close we are. Anyone from the greater Montreal region ???

The fuel economy of this car with the N20 engine is unreal and since most of my driving is done at an average speed, the need for a bigger engine was not really needed unless for bragging rights! I want to wait a few hundred kilometers but I think I saw a jump on gas mileage too! That would be a real bonus!

I am very pleased with the end result and the transaction was done directly with Hartge without going to a reseller. I believe Turner Motorsport is not selling this module anymore for the N20 engine . I think they are still selling the N55 and N63 versions.

Many have complained about pricing compare to other products out there but rest assure, you will get a quality product in a top quality packaging. I'm not comparing with any other tuner but all I can say is the amount of R&D for this product was a true success and it is worth every penny!

Having spent many thousands dollars on aesthetic mods, I didn't want to cheap out on a component that is so vital for the car. What is the point of having carbon fiber mods, exhaust system and 3pcs wheels worth thousands of dollars if you are going to opt for a cheap engine tune? All I can say is I am not associated by any means to Hartge and I am really pleased with this modification.

Now if this car could sound as good as it looks and feels, I would be in heaven!

I guess this is why I opted for the upgrades sound systems in the car so I wouldn't have to listen to this 4 cylinder engine. If Fiat was able to make their engine sound half decent on their 500 abarth, why can't anyone make this N20 engine sound good!

So if you are looking for a very good tune for you car, this is a really good one Well done Hartge!
Attached Images

Last edited by JohnnyF10; 05-15-2013 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #2
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Thanks for the review. I am still on the fence about getting this for my 535. Just wish someone would dyno it so we know just how much it is putting out compared to my current tune.

Alan
      05-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
JohnnyF10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Thanks for the review. I am still on the fence about getting this for my 535. Just wish someone would dyno it so we know just how much it is putting out compared to my current tune.

Alan

Since I didn't do a baseline, doing a dyno now will not be very usefull but all I can say is the car is transformed. And it is just a 4 cylinders.

With the strong foundation of your N55, I am sure you would love it.

Today I had to travel 160 miles and I took every second exit just to floor it and feel the power from 60 to 140 kph!

Just looking at the casing for the piggy back ECU, this is OEM grade and looks like something BMW would have used.
Attached Images

06-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #4
DrRx
Canada
Rep
Drives: 535ix M-Sport

So after some 6 weeks with the Hartge tune are you still happy - in love??

I am looking for a similar tune for my 528i and considering both Kelleners and Hartge (some say the Kelleners is a re-badged Hartge??). So any opinions, especially from a fellow Canadian, would be helpful.

If you have it available, would you mind posting or sending the install instructions for the Hartge; they don't seem to have posted them online. I am trying to figure out just what I am up for if I try this install on my own!!

A couple of other questions:

Did you notice that the addition of the module caused any codes to register?

Did you have Hartge send you the unit direct to Montreal or did your source it another way??

Many thanks for your help!!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #5
JohnnyF10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRx View Post
So after some 6 weeks with the Hartge tune are you still happy - in love??

I am looking for a similar tune for my 528i and considering both Kelleners and Hartge (some say the Kelleners is a re-badged Hartge??). So any opinions, especially from a fellow Canadian, would be helpful.

If you have it available, would you mind posting or sending the install instructions for the Hartge; they don't seem to have posted them online. I am trying to figure out just what I am up for if I try this install on my own!!

A couple of other questions:

Did you notice that the addition of the module caused any codes to register?

Did you have Hartge send you the unit direct to Montreal or did your source it another way??

Many thanks for your help!!
Sorry for the delay... Well how can I say this... This is the best mod ever on this car. You will not be disappointed. Since I have upgraded the car, I can't believe I haven't done this sooner.

I have purchased it directly from Hartge, very pleasant transaction and they shipped the unit very rapidly.

As for the instruction I would have to find them but it is really easy, 7 connectors plus the piggy back.

For me this was money well spent. Hartge as a very strong reputation and they do things right.

So don't be afraid and enjoy the power of this N20!

Cheers
      07-24-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
Bobby_Drake
Major
Rep
Drives: '16 X5M

What is the difference between this tune and JB N20 tune?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #7
pole.sx
Rep
Drives: F10 528ix

oh, sorry, I just saw the time stamp. You just put on the tune mod. Where did you get it from ? I am in Toronto. Do you know if there is a shop I can find in Toronto that sells this.

The photo you put on looks really cool. What does it do? Is it part of the hartge tuning mod?

Last edited by pole.sx; 08-12-2013 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #8
JohnnyF10
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Not a single glitch, very worth while, never had Jb or other tune so I can't compare but all I can say is I am very happy
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
fung0001
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 2013 520i Hartge Tuning

Wow
I have checked the price & it costs $1,995 Euro!

That said, i share with your view that it is not that pricey for engine tuning if one could afford $ 2,500 Euro for light weight wheels!

Last edited by fung0001; 09-25-2013 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyF10 View Post
Not a single glitch, very worth while, never had Jb or other tune so I can't compare but all I can say is I am very happy
Great report, thanks. Two questions for you:

1) Do you remove the box before going in for service at your BMW dealer?

2) Does your box have a wire that needs to be soldered to the gas pedal sensor? The Hartge module I am looking at for my 328d does have such a wire that needs to be soldered. That seems like a hassle if I have to do that and then re-solder it when I go for service.