2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Just ordered JB4

04-23-2017, 09:15 PM   #1
S1ammin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i MSport

Just ordered JB4

After probably not enough research, I pulled the trigger on a JB4 with OBDII, the JB4 Bluetooth add-on and BMS intake.

I am CPO with maintenance for a couple more years, so a tune seems like a non-starter, but my question is; do I need to run the OBDII cable if I have to Bluetooth add-on?

TBH, I really can't even explain to myself why I even ordered any of this. The car was already fast enough! I almost never go WOT since I work from home, and the only times I actually get to open her up is on vacation trips once or twice a year.

I guess I justify it by the fact that I traded my last fast car (and love) for her, and though I rarely will need or use the power, knowing it's there is EVERYTHING!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 03:26 PM   #2
nwob
Private
Rep
Drives: 13' 535i

It will work but it will be locked on Map 1. Might as well do the obd2 install when your doing the jb4, its very easy.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
2011BMW550i07
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1ammin View Post
After probably not enough research, I pulled the trigger on a JB4 with OBDII, the JB4 Bluetooth add-on and BMS intake.

I am CPO with maintenance for a couple more years, so a tune seems like a non-starter, but my question is; do I need to run the OBDII cable if I have to Bluetooth add-on?

TBH, I really can't even explain to myself why I even ordered any of this. The car was already fast enough! I almost never go WOT since I work from home, and the only times I actually get to open her up is on vacation trips once or twice a year.

I guess I justify it by the fact that I traded my last fast car (and love) for her, and though I rarely will need or use the power, knowing it's there is EVERYTHING!
If you're worried about keeping your CPO warranty I would install the JB4 or I would check with your dealer you use first. JB4 has to be hardwired in the engine bay portion to a few pieces. So some dealers will void your warranty to any dealer. So you could be SOL just depends on the dealer.

If your dealer is one that won't allow it I would recommend the ESS Tuning one. Just make sure anytime you bring it in you unplugged the system with the blank piece. My dealer won't allow me to use the JB4 if I want to keep my CPO warranty.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      04-24-2017, 10:01 PM   #4
335socal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Alpine white 335 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011BMW550i07 View Post
If you're worried about keeping your CPO warranty I would install the JB4 or I would check with your dealer you use first. JB4 has to be hardwired in the engine bay portion to a few pieces. So some dealers will void your warranty to any dealer. So you could be SOL just depends on the dealer.

If your dealer is one that won't allow it I would recommend the ESS Tuning one. Just make sure anytime you bring it in you unplugged the system with the blank piece. My dealer won't allow me to use the JB4 if I want to keep my CPO warranty.
JB4 BETA NEEDED TO BE HARDWIRED ONLY IF YOU USE THE BCM.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 11:10 PM   #5
nwob
Private
Rep

Quote:

He has a 535i, no need to hard wire anything.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 11:11 PM   #6
2011BMW550i07
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domey View Post
Quote:

He has a 535i, no need to hard wire anything.
So what only the 550i's have to be hardwired?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 12:17 AM   #7
nwob
Private
Rep

Quote:
So what only the 550i's have to be hardwired?
Idk about the 550i jb4 but the everything is reversible in the 535i. Only thing that can noticed after taking out the jb4 is the hole you make by poking in a rubber plug in the firewall to wire the obd2 wire.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 11:45 AM   #8
S1ammin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Many thanks for all the replies. From further reading, it sounds like I do need to use the ODB cable since that is how the JB4 gets data such as oil temp, RPM etc.

I thought the only thing the cable was for was allowing control via steering wheel buttons, but it sounds like there's more to it than just that.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 11:21 AM   #9
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 550 Xdrive Msport

Mine is a 550, but I am sure the install is similar on 535.

It is this simple... You can plug in the OBDII cable and have access to ALL functions of the BMS stage2 beta for boost increases and map choosing through the B/C control. If you want to add High performance Fuel option and the Waste gate control, you have to plug the wires into the ECU.

Removal takes about 30 minutes (Maybe less on a 6 cyl and you get better at it everytie you install) and MAKE SURE your battery is disconnected EVERY TIME you remove or install the BMS.

Basically, you plug into two harnesses (One on yours) to the front of both turbos on the 550, connect the OBDII port and good to go. If you want bluetooth and other features, you have to connect a wire in the blower motor area on passenger firewall, I suggest going to automotive store and getting a 2 to 1 fuse block which allows you to run the 20/30 amp fuse for the car and then a 10 amp fuse for the BMS. Keeps the car and BMS on different circuits that way.

The ECU install is fairly simple, but a little time consuming. Just double and TRIPLE check your wire numbers on the harnesses to make sure you have the right connections done. If not, you might throw a code. If that happens, disconnect battery and go back and double check your wires.

I would ALWAYS remove the BMS to ANY dealer before service. JUST to make sure you dont run into any problems. Once removed, there is no evidence of the mod.
Appreciate 1
S1ammin44.00
      04-27-2017, 11:32 AM   #10
S1ammin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Mike,

Thanks for that info! On the bluetooth power, it looks like they supply a quick-connect and you can just tap one of the red wires inside of the JB4's enclosure. I'll know for sure tomorrow when it arrives.

Yes, been reading all last night regarding aftermarket addons and some of the horror stories involved, and since I have a dealer visit coming up middle of next month, I am undecided if I will install it this weekend, or wait two weeks. I think the practice of installing and removing might be a good idea anyway so I am leaning towards installing it.

I'm a little excited to see the guages on my iPhone move :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 09:45 PM   #11
535_BiTurbo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550I - BMS Stg 1 & CAI

what do you plug into the OBDII?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 02:14 PM   #12
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mike,

Thanks for that info! On the bluetooth power, it looks like they supply a quick-connect and you can just tap one of the red wires inside of the JB4's enclosure. I'll know for sure tomorrow when it arrives.

Yes, been reading all last night regarding aftermarket addons and some of the horror stories involved, and since I have a dealer visit coming up middle of next month, I am undecided if I will install it this weekend, or wait two weeks. I think the practice of installing and removing might be a good idea anyway so I am leaning towards installing it.

I would NOT use their connector. You will expose a wire in the car to fraying and possible failure down the road.

Go to Advance auto or Autozone and get something like THIS: http://www.sears.com/accele-electron...FemhswodysAJPg

When you open up the Blower motor box, 4 hex screws, There should be 2 large Fuses at the front of the box right on top of one another. The top one is 30 amp.

Remove the fuse, insert THIS type of adapter, put the 30amp fuse back into the first slot and then put a 10 or 5 amp fuse in the second slot which has a wire running out of it. Use THAT power wire to make your BMS option work.

I would also suggest taking a drill and Notching a SMALL "U" shaped hole in the rubber grommet to the right of the Blower motor box so the wire does not get Crimped.

THAT is the proper way to install this option and ensure you do not make any holes in your OEM harness. Not to mention you are adding a layer of security with the fuse in line.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 02:18 PM   #13
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mike,

Here is the EXACT part you want:

http://www.autozone.com/electrical-a...ries/32414_0_0

You want the full size fuse, not the mini. Pull out the fuse from your car and bring to store to match it up

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2017, 06:29 PM   #14
S1ammin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Mike,

The BT module connects to the JB4 via a D connector. The red power wire for the BT module can be connected to an external +12v source, or using the supplied posi-tap, you can connect it to one of the red wires inside the JB4 enclosure. Mine arrived this morning and I connected the BT power wire inside the enclosure.

These latest JB4's also come with the OBDII CANbus cable that you have to pass thru the firewall.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2017, 03:38 PM   #15
SilverRevlis
Motiphd
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535 M Sport

What is your take in regards to its performance?
2010 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance (hers/retired)
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 03:23 AM   #16
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Mike,

The BT module connects to the JB4 via a D connector. The red power wire for the BT module can be connected to an external +12v source, or using the supplied posi-tap, you can connect it to one of the red wires inside the JB4 enclosure. Mine arrived this morning and I connected the BT power wire inside the enclosure.

These latest JB4's also come with the OBDII CANbus cable that you have to pass thru the firewall.
Bms I'd very particular about where to connect the power source. I remember an email about it with them.

As I said, right inside the blower motor housing there are two fuses and the wire that you would position tap has a fuse in there.

I do not tap into wires on these cars, the risk of braking even one strand can can voltage fluctuation down the road. Germans have almost zero tolerance on their vehicles for issues. If you maintain them and do everything by the book they last forever, but any deviation can cause problems.

The solution I suggested gives you a dedicated fuse for the JB4 setup and makes the whole thing plug and play without tapping into other wires.

Personal preference but after working in cars for 35 years, I just don't add any power connections with tapping off a fuse box or fuse area without the use of the item I listed.

Especially if you are removing, installing when going to dealer. I actually had the wires fail on me where the JB4 harness connects to obd2 connection just from removing and installing on dealer trips. These small wires only have less than 10 strands.

Oh and btw, if you have ANY technical issues, bms is THE BEST for support in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 03:27 AM   #17
mikekilpatrick
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRevlis View Post
People have reached mid 11 second quarter miles with JB4 and some modest mods. You have to run higher octane for best times though

They are the only choice for pre TU f10 models as well. JB4 allows two maps to be turned on or off on the fly and allows you to istimise your own maps if you know what you are doing

At the track, I beat a Saleen mustang and three other hod rods in the quarter. You can achieve and surpass M5 stock power numbers with JB4.

Best money u will ever spend.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 12:21 PM   #18
Bossman535
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine white

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekilpatrick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRevlis View Post
People have reached mid 11 second quarter miles with JB4 and some modest mods. You have to run higher octane for best times though

They are the only choice for pre TU f10 models as well. JB4 allows two maps to be turned on or off on the fly and allows you to istimise your own maps if you know what you are doing

At the track, I beat a Saleen mustang and three other hod rods in the quarter. You can achieve and surpass M5 stock power numbers with JB4.

What's the difference in install between bms stage 1 and the new jb4 ? Looking to upgrade my older bms stage 1. Big increase in power? I was only set at 2.25 lb boost over stock
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2017, 06:03 PM   #19
F10ARNOLD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine white F10 535i MSPORT

Is a JB+ for $199 ok? If I'm not planning to get downpipe etc...
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #20
S1ammin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10ARNOLD View Post
Is a JB+ for $199 ok? If I'm not planning to get downpipe etc...
I almost went for it but the added capability of JB4 vs JB+, plus I probably will eventually get a chargepipe and downpipe. May as well be ready.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2017, 10:51 AM   #21
SilverRevlis
Motiphd
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekilpatrick View Post

How about for the 535?
2010 Acura MDX SH-AWD Advance (hers/retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2017, 05:45 PM   #22
S1ammin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just installed my JB4 and BMS intake and all I can say is DAYUM!!!

Car is scary! I do not dare turn traction control off. Yet :-) Floor it from 30mph and it plants you into the seat really good. Things happen so fast that you can't watch anything but the road. This is a totally different car!
Appreciate 0