2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 2013 5 Series July Production Changes, Including New Multifunction Instrument Display

05-12-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Arrow 2013 5 Series July Production Changes, Including New Multifunction Instrument Display

BIMMERPOST NEWS
2013 5 Series July Production Changes, Including New Multifunction Instrument Display
COMMENTS

New optional feature for all BMW 5 Series: individualised cockpit thanks to multifunction instrument display.

An optional feature [from July] that will enhance operation of the automobile in all BMW 5 Series models (except BMW 520d EfficientDynamics Edition and BMW ActiveHybrid 5): the multifunction instrument display. This is a freely programmable cockpit display that introduces a new dimension to driver information. Enhanced Black Panel technology opens completely new possibilities for the display of information. Via the high-grade, homogeneous black surface of the 10.25-inch display, the freely combinable instrument integrates significantly more functions than the conventional instrument panel that it is replacing. However, the familiar arrangement comprising four round instruments still remains. Two chrome rings, which open up towards each other, are visible on the black surface. Together with the displays for tank/oil temperature they remain visible on the display even when the ignition is turned off.

With the aid of the Driving Experience Control function, the COMFORT, ECO PRO and SPORT modes can be clearly visually differentiated from one another on the instrument cluster. Whilst in the COMFORT mode a conventional arrangement of four closed round instruments is to be seen, in the modes ECO PRO and SPORT the rings open up to display additional information between the two round instruments. In the ECO PRO mode the rev counter becomes an EfficientDynamics display, showing how efficiently the vehicle is currently being driven. Here the instrument panel shows the extended range based on the adapted driving style. In the SPORT mode speed is only displayed digitally via a large figure in the centre the speedometer, whilst the selected gear is clearly displayed in the centre of the rev counter. Besides changing colour, the displays in the instrument cluster provide additional tailor-made information such as status and function displays, check control and navigation data, all of which can be individually accessed as required. [Hi-res display images directly below].

New 5 Series Optional Programmable Multifunction Instrument Display

Bang & Olufsen High End Surround-Sound System.

From July, the Bang & Olufsen High End Surround-Sound System will be optionally available for all models of the BMW 5 Series. This system facilitates the reproduction of music in outstanding sound quality via 16 active loudspeakers with a total output of 1,200 Watt, whereby it is possible to choose between the “Studio” mode offering a clear sound and the “Extended” mode, which has the effect of an extended sound space. In both cases a unique surround effect is achieved. Equally as impressive as the sound experience offered by the system is the so-called Floating Design with its perfect styling and the precision crafted hole pattern of the speaker grille so characteristic of Bang & Olufsen sound equipment. The system's centre speaker features the Acoustic Lens Technology developed by Bang & Olufsen. As soon as the audio system is activated, the centre element with the integrated medium-range speaker rises from the dashboard to release the lens of the tweeter. The lens radiates its signals evenly into the interior within an angle of 180 degrees, thereby ensuring an exceptionally harmonious distribution of sound.

Contactless opening of the tailgate.

Also starting July, optional equipment on all BMW 5 Series models will include as an integral part of the Comfort Access function the possibility of contactless opening of the boot lid. With this solution from BMW ConnectedDrive the boot lid of the vehicle can be opened without being touched. A mere movement of the foot below the rear bumper is sufficient to activate the opening mechanism. For this purpose, sensors are installed at different heights inside the bumper covering. They identify the gesticulation of the foot movement between the shin and the tip of the foot and send signals with special algorithms to the on-board computer. However, right of access is only granted if the system simultaneously identifies the Comfort Access remote control (key) carried by the person wishing to gain access. Operational safety is guaranteed at all times and misuse ruled out. Electrical operation of the tailgate will be a standard feature of all BMW 5 Series models from July.

BMW 5 SERIES GRAN TURISMO:

New: BMW 520d Gran Turismo, revised engines for the BMW 550i Gran Turismo and the BMW 530d Gran Turismo, compliance with EU6 exhaust emission standard as an option for the BMW 530d Gran Turismo, Driving Experience Control with ECO PRO mode as standard

With the new, additional model BMW 520d Gran Turismo, the range of this BMW 5 Series variant, previously offered with four different engines, is being supplemented by an exceptionally fuel-efficient version. Revised engines for the BMW 550i Gran Turismo and the BMW 530d Gran Turismo also render this model more attractive.

The BMW 520d Gran Turismo is equipped with the two-litre diesel engine featuring BMW TwinPower Turbo technology (Variable Twin Turbo principle, Common Rail direct injection). The state-of-the-art straight four-cylinder power unit delivers 135 kW/184 hp with a maximum torque of 380 Nm. The sprint from 0 to 100 km/h takes just 8.9 seconds and average fuel consumption is approximately 5.3 l/100 km with a CO2 emission level of around 139 g/km.

Power output of the V8 engine has been boosted by 30 kW/43 hp to 330 kW/450 hp and maximum torque increased by 50 to 650 Nm. In spite of significantly higher performance (BMW 550i Gran Turismo: 0 to 100 km/h in 5.0 seconds instead of the previous 5.5 seconds), it was possible to reduce fuel consumption (9.2 l/100 km) and the CO2 emission level (214 g/km) yet again. This power unit strengthens BMW’s lead in the segment in terms of the relation between driving pleasure and fuel economy even further.

On the models BMW 530d Gran Turismo and BMW 530d xDrive Gran Turismo, power output was increased by 10 kW/14 hp to 190 kW/258 hp, maximum torque by 20 to 560 Nm. In spite of considerably increased performance, a further reduction in the fuel consumption of the straight six-cylinder diesel engine featuring variable turbine geometry and Common Rail fuel injection with solenoid injectors (BMW 530d Gran Turismo: 5.8 l/100 km) and CO2 emissions (153 g/km) has been achieved. The two redesigned engines are also employed in the models featuring the intelligent four-wheel drive concept xDrive.

New: BMW 530d Gran Turismo conforms with the EU6 emission standard.

Starting in July, it will be possible to equip the model BMW 530d Gran Turismo with optional BMW BluePerformance technology as a targeted measure for optimising the quality of exhaust gases. In conjunction with the diesel particulate filter and the oxidation catalyst, the Nox storage catalyst largely reduces nitrogen oxides, meaning that thanks to this special equipment, the BMW 530d Gran Turismo already fulfils the requirements stipulated by the EU6 exhaust emission standard, which is not due to come into effect until 2014.

New: BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo with Auto Start Stop function.

Apart from the new and revised engines featured in the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo, efficiency is now also additionally increased by the Auto Start Stop function provided as standard. This technology is an integral part of BMW Efficient Dynamics measures. The engine is automatically switched off as soon as the vehicle comes to a halt at a red light, in a traffic jam or at a level crossing, for example. When the driver releases the brake, the engine restarts automatically so that the journey may be continued. The result is a reduction in fuel consumption.

New: BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo with electromechanical steering.

From July and within the framework of BMW EfficientDynamics measures, all BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo models will feature the power steering system EPS (Electronic Power Steering). EPS only become active when it is actually required, resulting in better fuel economy. In addition to the high level of efficiency, the advantages of the EPS system include its low weight, the high degree of precision along with clear and concise response and a comfortable setting.

New: BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo featuring Driving Experience Control with ECO PRO mode.

Also from July, the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo will be equipped as standard with Driving Experience Control with ECO PRO mode. Using the switch located to the left of the gearshift lever, the driver can change the vehicle’s overall characteristics according to each driving situation or personal preference to either a sporty or comfortable setting, or decide in favour of a particularly fuel- efficient style of driving. By means of the Driving Experience Control function, accelerator pedal progression, engine response, power steering characteristics and response thresholds of the Dynamic Stability Control system (DSC) are influenced. Depending on how the vehicle is equipped, the Servotronic function, the automatic transmission and the Dynamic Damper Control function are also incorporated into the system. The ECO PRO, COMFORT and SPORT modes are accessed using a shift paddle, with which each predefined drive train and suspension component set-up is selected. In the ECO PRO mode average fuel consumption can be reduced by up to 20 percent, vehicle range increased accordingly and this increase displayed to the driver as additionally gained kilometres.

New: The Active Protection Safety Package.

The BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo is to be equipped for the first time with the Active Protection safety package, an integral part of BMW ConnectedDrive. This driver assistance system becomes active at a speed of 18 km/h by automatically tightening the seatbelt in order to eliminate slack. In a critical situation, the front seatbelts are tightened and the side windows and sliding sunroof closed. Active Protection identifies a potential collision either by means of a front-mounted camera or radar, through deliberate emergency braking or distinctive understeering or oversteering of the vehicle. In the event of an unavoidable collision, the system automatically slows the vehicle down. Following the collision, the vehicle is brought to a halt using maximum braking force. It is then held for 1.5 seconds with the brakes blocked, significantly reducing the likelihood of an additional collision.

New: Optional BMW Parking Assistant.

The BMW Parking Assistant is a further comfort-relevant driver assistance system from BMW ConnectedDrive, which can also be ordered for the BMW 5 Series Gran Turismo as from July. The BMW Parking Assistant helps the driver find a parking space and park in it. Side-integrated ultrasound sensors assist in the search for a parking space. At speeds of up to 35 km/h these sensors measure the length and width of parking spaces at the side of the road and on hard shoulders. These parking spaces must be at least 1.20 metres longer than the vehicle. When the system is activated, the driver is immediately informed of a potential parking space when passing. Otherwise this information is displayed on the on-board monitor when reverse gear is engaged. By pressing the iDrive controller the driver then confirms that the Parking Assistant is required. Then all the driver has to do is accelerate or brake as necessary and keep an eye on the surroundings. The Parking Assistant does the job of manoeuvring accurately backwards into the parking space. Acoustic and visual signals given by the Park Distance Control system (PDC), the rear-view camera or the Surround View system assist the driver in maintaining the required distance from other vehicles or demarcations.

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

wow. Nice post. Now, it makes mine totally obsolete.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Tuesday
Frequent Flyer
Rep
Drives: 535LCI

This will make a great retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
hsiaochinsan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M / 991 Turbo S / Cayman GT4

finally the chanes have been confirmed for the 2013 model!!
Any words on change of engine output for 535i and 550i?
      05-12-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
ITR
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i

It seems 550i won't come with the 450hp engine (n63tu). What a shame!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 12:12 AM   #6
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Strange that the 550GT gets the power bump and the normal F10 doesn't?

My guess this isn't all the info yet for the 5 series line up (i hope).

Alan
      05-13-2012, 12:50 AM   #7
ATOMBOY
Second Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: F10 520D

Garage List
The new cockpit looks awesome!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 12:53 AM   #8
Amleto63
Commander
Italy
Rep
Drives: F10 520d Sedan

I prefer the current one. This looks like a japanise gadget.
      05-13-2012, 03:36 AM   #9
H.I.T
Private First Class
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Amazing, is there any information that BMW will apply this new instrument display to others such as new 7-series or 6-series, Jason ?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #10
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep
Drives: F11 535d MY2013

Amazing new displays!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 07:14 AM   #11
why13
Private
Rep
Drives:

I wonder if this can be retrofitted to the 2012 5 series
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 08:28 AM   #12
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

From my understanding, the first image is how it is nowadays and images 2, 3 and 4 are how the new black panel display is going to look like depending on the Driving Experience Control function. Am I right?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #13
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Fancy instrument display.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 09:48 AM   #14
matt44228
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i (Black Sapphire

wow im mad they didn't do this for the 2012 -.-
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #15
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep
Drives: '23 AW i4 eDrive40 M Sport

Garage List
...and I just picked up my 2012 on Friday too...... Hahha
'20 Alpine White F97 ///X3MC
'20 Alpine White F39 ///X2 M Sport X
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #16
Bucaro
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

How about me, my car is on the boat and is already obsolete...
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #17
A900ss
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 520d Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanpgomez2 View Post
How about me, my car is on the boat and is already obsolete...
I can beat that. Mine is still in production and is now obsolete.

I don't care though....
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #18
blueridger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
The B&O option looks interesting! I'm reserving judgment on the display.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 12:15 PM   #19
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Lucky I waited

I hope there's more new stuff coming in the next few days.

BMW really needs to up its game with all the new competition out there.

Alan
      05-13-2012, 12:38 PM   #20
rhinosaur
First Lieutenant
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridger View Post
The B&O option looks interesting! I'm reserving judgment on the display.
If it costs the same as in the 6 then I'll pass…
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #21
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Really like the Sport+ mode display with the easy to see revs and large gear indication.
So this is the new optional extended black panel?
How much is the option?
Might be worth a retrofit, If it cost anything over 1k I would not have got the option anyway with taxes and all..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #22
rezi
Enlisted Member
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 Coupe

instrument cluster can be retrofitted in older F10 modells.

the 7 series lci gets a complete new headunit with micro navigation, personal radio, UMTS, ...
machine is like a desktop pc and nvidia graphic chip.
first details will be available on 25.05.2012.

and the new HU will later also be available in the other F modells.
Appreciate 0