2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes how strong are forgestars

03-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #23
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

What you guys should be looking at is, if a particular wheel is certified by some well recognized certification process, such as VIA/JWL, TUV or even SAE.
For VIA/JWL, they need to be certified for each specific size and weigh capacity. Early on Forgstar claimed they were JWL certified, but when people went digging, it was apparent they certified some sizes but not all sizes since they would shave the back of the wheel to change the offsets to use the same wheel on multiple cars. Well, when you do that, you weaken the wheel and it's not certified anymore. Supposedly, they're certified for all sizes now, but I'm not sure about that for different cars other than the 3 series, where they got torched on this subject.

You guys should really be looking at a handful of wheels. The cars are expensive and well engineered. Why put a set of expensive crappy engineer wheels on them?

As for forged, vs. cast vs. flow formed. Does it really matter? As long as the wheel is certified, it's a strong wheel. A well made cast wheel can be stronger than a crappy forged wheel. Check out the APEX wheels. They're JWL certified and still very light and are cast. They weight about the same as a VOLK TE37SL, which is an awesome wheel, but what's the advantage? Both are JWL certified, who they're about the same in strength. They both weight about the same too. One set is $1,400, while the other set is $3,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by shehatezme View Post
I heard forgestars are form flowed. Heard that they are good wheels. I priced out a set of forgestars and vossens and they are about the same price give or take. [B}]Not sure why people talk up Vossens like they are the best wheels ever made.[/B] They are just cheap cast wheels that are made in Taiwan/China that cost $2k+. A little ridiculous.
It's all about advertisement and marketing to a crowd that's more about bling than quality. It's usually the same crowd that loves ADV too.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0