2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Shipping car overseas

05-22-2015, 04:12 PM   #1
mraksam
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i

Shipping car overseas

I got a job offer in Dubai and I am thinking of taking my 2014 550i along with me. If anyone on the board has shipped a vehicle from the US before can you please let me know of any good shipping companies that I can get quotes from.

Also any advise on updates that I may need to do to the vehicle would be appreciated. I was told that the BMWs over there have a different spec because of the weather, but I doubt that is the case, as I don't think BMWs sold in the hot southern US markets are any different from those sold in the North. However, any advise on any modifications/updates recommended for the desert climate would be appreciated.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 11:33 PM   #2
Slickrick2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018-X5M-BLK Sapphire Edition

I have a friend who relocated for work shipping his car from New York to Puerto Rico and had to pay the car off before shipping it over. I would look into that if you financed your vehicle. By the way congrats..
      05-24-2015, 12:36 AM   #3
mko9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

I have shipped my cars overseas several times, but the actual shipping was contracted by the military. But as slickrick says, you need the title holder's permission to ship the car out of the country.

'04 330i ZHP
'11 535i
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2015, 09:47 AM   #4
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by mko9
I have shipped my cars overseas several times, but the actual shipping was contracted by the military. But as slickrick says, you need the title holder's permission to ship the car out of the country.
That makes perfect sense because if you defaulted on the loan, they are not coming to Dubai to repossess it. Good luck with the move.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 02:45 PM   #5
OEMonsterz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 535D M Sport

Op didn't mention anything about finance. So who's to say that he has it.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 02:55 PM   #6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEMonsterz View Post
I'm not going to say that isn't a possibility. But almost nobody in the US will buy a new 550i with cash. Considering he has a job and just took a position in Dubai, I'm going to guess he is in a highly technical field. Dubai also hire a lot of teachers, but rarely any teachers can afford a 550.

But good luck with Dubai. I refuse to work for those people. Extremely high pay but chances are you'll work for a bunch of weirdos that's very demanding.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 04:19 PM   #7
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEMonsterz
That's why slickrick said "if"
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 10:10 PM   #8
mraksam
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i

Thanks for the insight. Yes I own the car :-) similar specs in Dubai is at least 20k more than what I paid for here and if I change I plan to upgrade.. not ready for that until I am settled. So that is why I am thinking of taking it with me.

Actually I will be continuing to work for the same company I work for in US. Its just that corporations there are not as cheap as in US so we are looking to grow our business over there. But that is not a topic to discuss in this forum :-)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 03:48 AM   #9
mko9
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mko9 View Post
Following up on this, I happen to be in Germany right now and gave a ride between posts to a civilian who is getting ready to head back Stateside. Through the government contractor, he was quoted $4800. Through whoever he found off base in the German economy, he was quoted $3300. That is Germany to mid-US. I think he was headed to Ft Leavenworth. Not terribly helpful specific data points, but at least gives you an order of magnitude for perspective. Also, as I'm sure you already know, expect the shipping to probably be in the 90-100 days ballpark.

'04 330i ZHP
'11 535i
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 07:25 AM   #10
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraksam
I got a job offer in Dubai and I am thinking of taking my 2014 550i along with me. If anyone on the board has shipped a vehicle from the US before can you please let me know of any good shipping companies that I can get quotes from.

Also any advise on updates that I may need to do to the vehicle would be appreciated. I was told that the BMWs over there have a different spec because of the weather, but I doubt that is the case, as I don't think BMWs sold in the hot southern US markets are any different from those sold in the North. However, any advise on any modifications/updates recommended for the desert climate would be appreciated.

Cheers
Don't worry about that! US Spec cars work well in the Deserty Weather of ours! PM me if you've got any specific questions and I'll be glad to help

But i do recommend getting the car checked up... And most importantly DO NOT GO TO THE DUBAI DEALER (AGMC) because they are a pain in the a^% go to the Abu Dhabi Dealer (Abu Dhabi Motors) they are much better and they DO the job unlike AGMC where u as em to change the oil and 2 days later you get the car with nothing done to it..

Edit: Once you see Dubai you'll never want to leave! Have Fun Man! And i suggest changing Filters and Radiators and Oil and Tires... Because we have a lot of dust here so you need clean filters...

P.S. You'll be filling up the Washer Fluid Often
Appreciate 0